Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building A CNJ Camelback B-3a in Z scale.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Building A CNJ Camelback B-3a in Z scale.

    Hi All,

    I haven't posted much in a while, been busy with life.

    I decided to build a CNJ 0-6-0 camelback for my dad's birthday present.

    I started with a Marklin 0-6-0 # 8800. I cut the first third of the

    smoke box/boiler off. Cut the back coal bin off. And put the front 1/3

    end on the back end. I formed a cover for the boiler, roof sides, and

    window openings and modified the top hatch.

    I heavily modified the chassis to accommodate the modified shell and new motor.

    I will provide images of the chassis later.

    I still have to add the fireman's overhang, pump, railings, tanks, etc..











    [

  • #2
    Off to a good start, Scott.
    Bruce

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow! Great to see a Z scale project! :up:

      Comment


      • #4
        I can't imagine building in Z scale. I'm going to be watching this.

        George
        The sky is not my limit, it's my playground.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll be following along too, Scott. Good progress so far.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you all for the positive comments and interest. This is my first foray into model trains.

            I thought I needed to share with you how I started the project.

            I create a layout in Illustrator using plans and or image that are scaled down to Z.

            I took an image from the Brass Trains site. I had to tweak it in Photoshop to get it to be more of a side shot.

            The plan from the Model Railroader book ended up being useless, but it is a great resource.


            Comment


            • #7
              Hmmm! Z scale I have a hard time with O-Scale.

              A beautiful job so far.
              Jerry



              "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

              Comment


              • #8
                I finally made enough headway that I thought I needed to post the progress.

                I bent up some straps and soldered them to some rod for the tanks above the boiler. Created the folding steps above the cylinders (they need to be better scaled). Cut, bent, and glued the fireman's overhang, drilled holes for the bell, and dome on the boiler, and turned the the dome over the cab. I built the tank and toolbox below the cab. Cut and bent a piece to fill in and reinforce the front of the cab. I drilled and tapped the smokebox/boiler to have a mechanical, as well as adhesive attachment to the cab. I will plug the hole in the front with a rectangular piece soldered to rod. I also need to modify the chassis to fit the cylinders. The wheels are a little small, but since they are the closest in size, I'll use them.







                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow! Great start.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I’m very impressed.
                    _________________________________________________

                    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Amazing!
                      ..........

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks Guys!

                        Michael, I was reading through your "Southern thread". Regarding building boxcars, do you start with the inside dimensions (usually given in the ORER) and base the outside dimensions on an inferred wall thickness? I ask because the inside dimensions are usually all that is provided by some lines in the ORER.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a fondness for center cabs, Scott, and you are bringing this little guy along nicely!
                          Bruce

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hi All,

                            I have made some more progress. I have had to make some features over several times to get the scale correct. Added a tool box, air brake tank, feed lines, reverse mechanism, window ledges, headlight and wheel counter weights. I forgot to take pictures of the motor housing. Chassis and motor housing next post.








                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What a great project, Scott! :up:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X