Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou’s Logging Oxen Flatcar

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Louis, that is a lot of beef steak you are dealing with'..Looks like you are having fun'..[:-bouncy]


    Ted

    Comment


    • #32
      quote:


      Originally posted by quartergauger48


      Louis, that is a lot of beef steak you are dealing with'..Looks like you are having fun'..[:-bouncy]


      Thanks for checking in Ted. :up: Yes, I'm in my fun zone once again! [:-cowboy]


      Louis L&R Western Railroad
      Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

      Comment


      • #33
        The wooden decking has been put down onto the flatcar. The lead shot was glued using JB Weld epoxy. It may not be pretty but it does the job. All the wood was cut to length, and dipped into a brown leather dye mixture. Then placed in-between two pieces of glass to keep straight and flat. Once the wood stain was dried, the wood was glued onto the flatcar deck and sides using a thinned pliobond mixture. This was a tip from Dave Frary. Pliobond is an Industrial contact cement, and too thick for anything but the crudest work. Great for modeling if you take a used Testers liquid plastic cement bottle once it reaches 1/2 left in the bottle, and fill the rest with Pliobond, shake well and use for your model work, works great for Strathmore board work. The best part is the Testers bottle comes with a brush in the lid. As I use mine from the bottle, I just keep filling with testers and pliobond as needed. I like it better than Walthers Goo. Now moving right along!










        Louis L&R Western Railroad
        Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

        Comment


        • #34
          Louis,

          The color on those oxen looks good and that's no bull. Project seems to be progressing just fine.

          Bernd
          New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

          Comment


          • #35
            Hey wait a minute...

            I'm starting to think that this oxen car is really a ploy, for smuggling lead shot across the border.

            Louis, it's coming along nicely.


            Greg Shinnie

            Comment


            • #36
              quote:


              Originally posted by Bernd


              Louis,

              The color on those oxen looks good and that's no bull. Project seems to be progressing just fine.

              Bernd


              quote:


              Originally posted by Ensign


              Hey wait a minute...

              I'm starting to think that this oxen car is really a ploy, for smuggling lead shot across the border.

              Louis, it's coming along nicely.


              Greg Shinnie



              Thanks Bernd

              and Greg for checking in.


              Louis L&R Western Railroad
              Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

              Comment


              • #37
                ..........


                Louis L&R Western Railroad
                Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                Comment


                • #38
                  Louis, the car is all decked out and your project is looking good. Would the brown oxen and yoke stand out more in photos after they get aboard if the deck and railing were more gray?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    quote:


                    Originally posted by Bill Gill


                    Louis, the car is all decked out and your project is looking good. Would the brown oxen and yoke stand out more in photos after they get aboard if the deck and railing were more gray?


                    Good observation Bill at this present stain color, but once the wood chips/deadfall and straw are placed and glued onto the deck, like my horse car, and once everything is weathered over it should lighting up and tone down the flatcar leaving the Oxen standing out much more. Thanks for your comments and following along with this build. [:-cowboy] :up:


                    Louis L&R Western Railroad
                    Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      The flatcar post have been stained and installed/glued onto the flatcar deck. The top 4”x6” top railings have also been attached, and once glued, a section of top rail on both ends will be removed for a walkway for the workers. (See picture below). The stock Tyco Trucks will be replaced using Kadee 503 Arch Bar Freight Trucks for better performance. I was just going to replace the Tyco wheels with Intermountain wheelsets, and use Kadee #28 OR #27 Truck mounted coupler conversion set, but re-thought that idea real fast. It is just better overall replacing the trucks.






                      Louis L&R Western Railroad
                      Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Looks good Louis!

                        Boy, you seem to have a bunch of "Christmas" themed places around your area!

                        You're always finding neat things there...
                        Carl

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Louis,

                          Nice work so far. Upon a quick observation..how are you planning on getting the oxen in and out of the car? By crane? I see you are providing a cut-out walkway, but I don't think they can walk up the stairs.

                          Maybe you can make one side a drop-down loading ramp, then add some chains on either end and some sort of locking rod or mechanism. Just a thought.

                          Rich

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            quote:


                            Originally posted by Carl B


                            Looks good Louis!

                            Boy, you seem to have a bunch of "Christmas" themed places around your area!

                            You're always finding neat things there...


                            Yes, I do find a lot of items Carl that can be used for modeling in those stores. These stores are open year round here. Thanks for posting your comments.


                            Louis L&R Western Railroad
                            Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              quote:


                              Originally posted by Pennman


                              Louis,

                              Nice work so far. Upon a quick observation..how are you planning on getting the oxen in and out of the car? By crane? I see you are providing a cut-out walkway, but I don't think they can walk up the stairs.

                              Maybe you can make one side a drop-down loading ramp, then add some chains on either end and some sort of locking rod or mechanism. Just a thought.

                              Rich


                              Well Rich, take a look here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=48573. See how it was done. I'm not as fast as I used to be, getting there slowly though!




                              Louis L&R Western Railroad
                              Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Where are the OSHA Compliant Safety Rails for the OX Ramp? It's looking real good!!!!

                                Jim
                                Take the red pill

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X