Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bachmann K-27 New Gear Head Motor

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Here is the YouTube link showing it working. You may think it is noisy however the boiler is not on and with the sound the generator has a very similar pitch. far less noise than the other gear box.

    https://youtu.be/aPmBGgBwNX8

    Comment


    • #17
      Good news! I'm going to be a Grandpa 2x over!! Oh yah and the motor noise has dropped to almost nothing after a short hour break in..I think I'm more happy about the Grandpa experience, 2 more future model railroaders!

      Tomorrow I'll do a test run on the layout and see if it is going to pull anything up my grade. I can hardly wait. Just call me. Grandpa Mudhenbill!

      Comment


      • #18
        Another update, I pulled a 20volt battery from a Bosch Drill and hooked it up on the bench, perfect high speed. I think I will be going with a 21.5 volt battery. MORE POWER!!! ARG! ARG!

        Comment


        • #19
          Ok done with version 1.0. But not good enough. The speed on the layout is fine if you like really slow prototypical speed however, it is a garden railroad so it would be nice to have more speed when needed.

          I couldn't get the original number of 2.5333:1 out of my mind at the beginning of the post. There must be a way to use the existing gears and parts I have to make this happen. May I introduce version 2.0. After looking at the extra motors and gears I came up with a plan to utilize one motor gear with one of the extra gears giving me roughly 2:1. The big problem was the size of the out put shaft and having to turn it down again didn't excite me. since the original motor was garbage now, I decided to take it apart and use the shaft (good side), and incorporate it in the motor. After breaking off the armature I was able to use the shaft. I drilled out the gear to fit tight, placed it on the shaft and then started drilling and grinding to make the new shaft and gear fit. The original motor had an abundance of Bearings and trust washers of which I used to get the proper tension. Here are some pictures.

          Motor with gears removed except main drive gear



          This is the new shaft and gear in a new hole on the top piece







          Started with using nuts as temporary spacers, however found I will be using these permantly. I will have to fabricate a cover or just leave it.

          Everything all installed except the worm gear. Not pretty but it works.






          Comment


          • #20
            Video showing new motor, speed much improved

            https://youtu.be/KanEF0ut5To

            Comment


            • #21
              Nice work, and very interesting! Looks like it runs very smoothly, and the motor noise is definitely not excessive.

              Comment


              • #22
                Thanks, Tomorrow I'll put it all back together and give it the true test. Ill do another video.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Ok, Loco back together and a test was preformed, Much better but still not getting the results I want however, I think I am on the right track, forgive the pun. The top speed is good but still slowing way down on the 4% grade even with the cruse control. My guess is it needs more power than the 14 volts I currently have. I was fortunate to have a friend that gave me a 22.5 volt battery. I will be trying that option using a voltage regulator. I will experiment with 18 volts and then 22 volts and report back. If it works, I will post a video. Stay tuned.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    BTW, congrats on the impending promotion to Grandpa!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Thank you, It's an Honor! I can hardly wait.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Received the voltage regulators today, best deal on Ebay! Hooked it up to the 22.5 volt battery and placed it all in a gondola for testing. The extra volts did the trick and the engine runs smooth with no convulsing as before. It makes it around my sharpest 9 foot curve with no slow down either. I will have a video shortly after it loads.

                        Video didn't take and its too hot outside, will do later. Off to another project!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X