Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bachmann GE 44 ton

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rlundy
    replied
    Lookin really good, Glen.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dutchman
    replied
    It is good to see this project nearing completion, Glen.

    Leave a comment:


  • desertdrover
    replied
    Hi Glen, applying the decals can be tedious work when individual letters are involved, but you have done a fine job with your painting and decal work.

    Leave a comment:


  • jbvb
    replied
    Looks good. I have an undec 44-tonner waiting for me to build the in-plant track at GE's River Works.

    Leave a comment:


  • Glen_Haasdyk
    replied
    Thanks Mark. I admit that I haven't spent allot of time on this project but it is coming to an end. I decaled the engine over the weekend.



    I used an old set of Accu-cal decals. I've been collecting these at swap meets over the years just for these projects. This set is also the only one that has the proper decals specifically for CN's GE 44 tonners. In fact it will decal any CN hood unit that was built.



    They also include placement diagrams for all the CN engines the set was designed for.



    The only down side to accucals that I can see is that they are printed on a full decal sheet so you have to trim as close to the decal as possible to avoid the dreaded decal film. I used Walthers solvaset which helps with that problem.



    It took a few hours to decals the engine. Allot of small decals and you can only decal one side, then wait for them to dry before doing the other side.



    The hardest part were the class numbers under the '5'. They are all individual decals and so small I was applying them with the tip of a #11 xacto blade. Again the solvaset was a bit help.

    Next is re-assembly .

    Leave a comment:


  • MarkF
    replied
    Interesting project. I do love that paint scheme for the CN. It's coming along nicely Glen.

    Leave a comment:


  • Glen_Haasdyk
    replied
    True Line's paint, it's a water based acrylic.

    Leave a comment:


  • jbvb
    replied
    Scalecoat's CN SIG Green?

    Leave a comment:


  • Glen_Haasdyk
    replied
    Finally getting this project back on track. I got all my projects in a row and managed to spend this afternoon painting:



    I painted the radiator grills yellow first, masked them and painted the green. the yellow stripes will be decals.



    Next is some detail painting and the decaling.

    Leave a comment:


  • Glen_Haasdyk
    replied
    I got back to this project now that I have the sealed beam headlights. These are how they arrived:



    Ron Graciously cut them out of the 70 tonner shell with some extra material and shipped them complete with the headlight lenses.



    I removed the lenses and sanded the backs until they were the proper thickness. Then I puttied up the old headlight holes in the shell and sanded them smooth.



    The new headlights were glued onto the old shell and the headlight holes drilled out.



    With this last detail the model is ready for paint.

    Leave a comment:


  • Glen_Haasdyk
    replied
    Thanks to Ron I have a set of sealed beam headlights on the way. In the meantime I did a bit of re-work to the locomotive. First by removing all the handrails, air hoses, uncoupling levels ect that would get in the way for the new paint job. Then a couple hour's dip in isopropyl alcohol and the old paint and decals were stripped.

    I added the brackets for the marker lights:



    and the new number boards:



    I also started to fill the old headlight holes But I'll finish those up when the new lights arrive.

    Leave a comment:


  • rlundy
    replied
    Glen all you would need is one shell. It has a headlamp front and back. I have one here I am not using. I bought it for the chassis which is going to be used for an On30 loco. $15 plus shipping and it is yours. Ron.

    Leave a comment:


  • Glen_Haasdyk
    replied
    I did look into that option but, each shell is 25$ plus 12$ for shipping means 62$ for a couple of headlight castings. A bit too much for my wallet.

    Leave a comment:


  • lv4142003
    replied
    Doesn't the Bachmann 70 tonner come with the sealed beam headlight option ? Maybe buy a shell from Bachmann and cut the headlight off and transplant it to the 44 tonner. Actually, you'll need 2 shells....

    Leave a comment:


  • Glen_Haasdyk
    replied
    I got the loco back from my decoder guy today, runs excellent. Now to turn it to a Canadian national locomotive that operated out of my town back in the late fifties through the sixties:




    As you can see there are a few differences on the Canadian 44 ton that are not on the American versions. One is the headlight. Unfortunately no one makes that particular light so I'm going to leave that part the way it is. Two things I am going to change are the marker lights and the number boards above the front windows. The marker lights were portable and were held on by angle brackets depending on which way the engine was running. The number boards were angled between the exhaust and the roof, just above the windows. The engine was also equipped with MU connections and sunshades over the side windows.

    A friend of mine runs a web page of the history of rail in Kelowna and gave me permission to use these pictures.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X