Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2'x3' Cork Board Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ah ha, another brass project. Nice work Heath. It'll be interesting to see when complete.

    Bernd
    New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

    Comment


    • Thanks Bernd, with about 100 years of practice, I might come close to your skill.

      A little progress this evening.



      Started the strapping on the car. Cut 2mm wide strip from a 10thou brass sheet, with some embossed 'bolt heads'.



      Started the frame. Made from 10x10 scale lumber and 2x8 bracing. A small piece of brass stock wrapped around the wood and drill a 1mm hole to accept the brass wire, which acts as the hinge for the A-frame. The wire will be cut and soldered to each side of the A-frame, to allow for heaping ore loads. One side will have the wire bent to act as the lever arm which will activate the dump action.



      This is the smaller car I built first. because it is 6" shorter, it fits under the wire.



      There will be a board across the front, that will 'hold' the door in place. As the ore car is rotated the door 'opens' and the ore is dumped.
      Cheers, Heath.

      Comment


      • Heath,

        It looks like you got it figured out, good stuff.

        Comment


        • Interesting bit of engineering.

          Comment


          • A bit of progress. Started on the ore bin. Looked at a few pics on sketched out a 12'x12' bin. I clamped the dump mech to give a better idea on how this will work.




            Cheers, Heath.

            Comment


            • A little progress.





              Does anyone know what size the door opening should be for the bin? The distance between the 10x10s is 4'9" and the bin is 12'x12'.
              Cheers, Heath.

              Comment


              • Quite the rig there! :up:

                Comment


                • Very nice.

                  Comment


                  • Heath, you're doing some nice work here. :up:

                    Comment


                    • Way cool!

                      -Cody

                      Comment


                      • Thanks guys, been having fun. I have been working on the ore bin exclusively this weekend. The door for the bin has been challenging. The door was cut from a piece of PC board, 24"x30" scale. I soldered on two pieces of 1/16th brass L and then a piece of brass stock that was drilled to accept activator rod. The door guides where created by soldering a 1/8 and 1/16 brass L stock a piece of wood sandwiched to create the slot for the door. Then 3 copper bead wires to the back to help bond to the 5x7 wood ties. These were then glued to the bin. The lever to open the door was created from some code 83 switch rail, filed to create an even profile, then drilled. A quick install to check the operation and here's the pic.



                        Its work very well. Still need to install the wire keepers for the lever then on to the second door. The doors will likely be operated by a manual system, but a tortoise switch machine could also do the trick.

                        Still to figure out is the ore shoot. I may have been a little premature in installing the door, but was too eager to see if it would work.

                        Vid of the door in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQz...a&noredirect=1

                        Sorry about the shaky vid, taken with my phone. Thanks for checking in,
                        Cheers, Heath.

                        Comment


                        • A little progress today. Started on the bridge and was able to complete the left side of the bin.




                          Cheers, Heath.

                          Comment


                          • The ore bin is really coming along, fully functional is not something that we see every day.

                            Comment


                            • Thanks Larry. It has been fun figuring out how to get it to work. The plan is to fill some short low side gondolas and the B-mann v dumps. Still need to complete the second door and figure out the height of the bin and the length of the shoots/sluices (still not sure of the correct term).

                              Completed the bridge deck to the ore bin this evening. Built from two 10x10 beams and 5x6 1/2 ties. 2x8 is bolted to the sides with Grandt Line 2 1/2 bolts. The code 83 rail is resting on Grandt Line tie plates, that are secured with 4 spikes per plate. The rail and plates where painted with rust prior to spiking, and touched up upon completion. It took about 5 hours to complete the deck.





                              Thanks for checking in,
                              Cheers, Heath.

                              Comment


                              • Update on the Mine. The On30 tack was completed and ballast glued. The track is code 100 on on3 ties cut to 5' length. The ballast is sifted sand, set with wood glue. The PC ties are homemade and painted with a mixture of olive drap and red to create brown. The turnout is controlled by a simple slide switch, which also provides power to the frog.



                                The frame for the layout was created from ripping some 1/2" birch ply.







                                I am planning on starting on the lower cliff face next and getting the ore bin finished and installed. Thanks for looking in and suggestions and comments welcomed.
                                Cheers, Heath.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X