Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large scale Indoor layout

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Ty, the spider bearing is a thing of beauty. You'll be glad you spent the money, it's worth every penny.
    Frank

    Comment


    • #17
      Thanks Frank For pointing me to Pacific Coast Garden Railway Supply. They really do great work.. Now I have to get the lumber together for the turntable..

      Ty

      Comment


      • #18
        Following with interest!
        Arthur

        Comment


        • #19
          I have really been busy lately. I am still collecting parts so I can really get started. My turnouts from Switchcrafters should be shipped around the 15th of June. I have decided to go with Split Jaw clamps.

          I have also decided on the Train Staion to be facing the track which will mean we will see the rear of the station on the layout.. That will leave 24" from the rear track to the wall. I plan on adding a point to point rail that will tie a Mine Head to and Ore House 20ft away. This will add a little animation to the layout. I found a good Ore House Plan in the July/August 2008 Gazette. It should work out great for me...





          Ty

          Comment


          • #20
            Wow! That spider bearing IS a work of art!

            Comment


            • #21
              I went down to my local enlarging store.

              I had the drawing enlarged by 645% which gave me a 1:20.3 scale drawing. It is a pretty big building. Here are the pic's..

              Ty


              Comment


              • #22
                Mike That spider bearing is great. I would hate to have tried it myself. I really thought about getting the turntable from them also but there is a 9 month waiting list..

                Ty

                Comment


                • #23
                  Before I blew up the drawing I ordered a punch of parts from Scale Art Parts.

                  They sale a bunch of windows doors and other 1:20.3 scale parts.

                  http://www.scaleartmodels.com/

                  It was neat that the windows and doors fit right up to the drawing I blew up.

                  Ty


                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Ty, it will be fun following along with this build. I liked it when I first saw it in NG&SLG.

                    Mark
                    W,L,&E

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Ty, you're staying busy both outside and inside. 645% yikes, ain't Fn3 great. It all fits in a semi-trailer with no problem.
                      Frank

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I guess 645% sounds a little Large. Its actually 6.45 times larger but the printer does not understand it any other way.. The wife took my Daughter to Charleston for the weekend for Girl scouts.

                        So I had alot of time on my hands. I Had electrical outlets all along the wall about 45" off the floor so I would have access at counter top level before I got into Trains. Now I had to move the outlets below lower on the wall so they would not interfere with the backdrop...

                        TY

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I was able to get started on the loadout bin.

                          I started out by drawing the outline on 3/16" foam board. I altered to plan to accommodate the diesel

                          switcher and ore cars.I am working on the build above the actual ore bin.




                          I then painted them in flat black. I know you can buy foam board in black but these were bought at half price.


                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I went back to my Grandfathers and got and good piece of the dried lumber. Planed the plank to the thickness I was looking for. I then proceeded to cut about 3/32" pieces from it into individual planks. Once they were all cut I needed to distress them. With so many to do I tried several different things. The best i found was a 36 grit sand paper. A fresh piece appeared to give the wood plenty of deep grain. Once they were all were distressed I then cut them to scale 10' lengths.




                            You can see some of the wood has holes in it. It was nicely provided by worms over he years...

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I then took the cut lumber and used a method that Frank taught me. I used Black and Brown shoe polish. You take the shoe polish and mix it with alcohol. You can change the intensity of the color by the amount of alcohol you add. Some are done just in black and some in black and brown. I put the mixture in old mayonnaise jars. and would add the wood and shake it up. I would pull it out and wipe it off and let it dry.


                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I have been planking the outside of the building and fitting up the windows ...

                                Ty




                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X