Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slater Creek Railway

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coaltrain
    replied
    I had a bad week with the shay project, I broke the cab. I actually knew it was going to break, but I was hoping it would not. There were three areas that I felt were too thin and that they would become a problem, and I was right. I reprinted a new cab and thickened two trouble areas in a way that they would not show. The third area that was a problem I think I solved with some brass "rebar". The fireman's front window comes really close to the boiler, which causes a really thin area one the front wall, and every time I made a cab I broke this area when in installed the cab. Since I was reprinting the cab again I created a groove in the bottom of the wall to accept a 0.012" brass wire. After the cab was printed I rolled a brass wire in set it in the groove then I brushed uncured 3D printer resin in the groove over the wire and placed the cab upside down in the cure oven for a few minutes to seal it in the cab. I believe this should cure the cracking issue.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	SHAY 8-142.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	968210

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris333
    replied
    Wow!

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    replied
    Jeff,
    Really nice tutorial, thanks! Nice job with the TP.

    Scott

    Leave a comment:


  • Bernd
    replied
    That turned out nice. Looks great.

    You do know that there will be another toilet paper shortage?

    Bernd

    Leave a comment:


  • Coaltrain
    replied
    this turned out better than I thought. wrapped the steam delivery pipe with single ply toilet paper to represent the insulation wrap of the prototype.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SHAY 8-141.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	966848

    Leave a comment:


  • Coaltrain
    replied
    Originally posted by desertdrover View Post
    Now that was very interesting, and a great way to make weights. Thanks for a great tutorial Jeff.
    My question is, not being a printer owner, can molds be made from plastic pieces to make a mold, and use it in the same way to pour in the low melting alloys?
    Yes, I see no reason why it would not work, you may even be able to skip the cold water with styrene and just make more pours with less material to keep the heat down. The metal melts at 158° F (70°C)

    Leave a comment:


  • Philip
    replied
    Great video!

    Leave a comment:


  • TRAINS1941
    replied
    WOW!!! That Shay is just awesome!! What beautiful work!!

    Leave a comment:


  • desertdrover
    replied
    Now that was very interesting, and a great way to make weights. Thanks for a great tutorial Jeff.
    My question is, not being a printer owner, can molds be made from plastic pieces to make a mold, and use it in the same way to pour in the low melting alloys?

    Leave a comment:


  • Coaltrain
    replied
    Thanks everyone. this week I did some work on making weights for the locomotive using a low temp melting metal

    Leave a comment:


  • railman28
    replied
    Your Shay is looking fabulous. I hope the printed drive staffs hold up. I have printed (resin) pilot truck on my engines. They have been doing fine. One for about six months the other about one month.

    Bob

    Leave a comment:


  • railman28
    replied
    Excellent work. Exciting results for sure.

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    replied
    Jeff,

    Beautiful work on the locomotive! Those crank shafts are jewelry. The details on the cab and tender are very realistic!

    Scott
    Last edited by CNE1899; 10-01-2021, 09:20 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Philip
    replied
    Amazing Work!

    Philip

    Leave a comment:


  • Neil_M
    replied
    If your hand wasn't in the photo I'd be hard pressed to tell your model from the real thing!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X