Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build
Page: of 67

Anna-Carin
New Hire

Posted - 11/01/2020 :  09:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anna-Carin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Bob,
It's very considerate of you to ask, but no apology is needed! While I prefer to be called Anna-Carin, I'm quite used to being called Anna at English-language forums, and don't mind at all. (I wouldn't want my family to call me Anna, though.)

Tyson,
Thank you!

Jim,
Thanks - I'm glad you're going for the gentler rides. Perhaps you've built an amusement park railway too?

Anna-Carin
New Hire

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  10:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anna-Carin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For several years my parents ran a small wholesale business in an extension to their home, supplying quilt shops with imported tools and books. Some years before they retired, they asked me if I'd like to build them a roombox they could have as a memento.

It's an indoor/outdoor scene that sits in a clear plastic box, so I got away with showing just part of the rooms and very little of their stock.

Oops - the shelf in the counter is empty, gotta check if I forgot to fill it or if I did that after taking the photo.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  11:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

WOW!

Holy smokes! That is just plain awesome!

Jim

Take the red pill

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  11:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anna-Carin,
I agree with Jim...WOW!

David Guffey

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  12:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna-Carin,

That is VERY NICE and I hope it was loved by your parents. I can tell you loved making.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Anna-Carin
New Hire

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anna-Carin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, David, Bob,
Thank you - yes, my parents enjoy it and I had a great time working on it!

One thing I learned on this project, is that Plaid's Mod Podge Dimensional Magic does a great job of transforming flat prints into credible blister packs. Print the blister pack on sturdy paper (or glue it to thin card) and cut out, put a thin coat of Dimensional Magic all over, let it dry and them build up 3D items with more Dimensional Magic.

Edited by - Anna-Carin on 11/21/2020 11:16:00 AM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Anna-Carin.

George

JGDURAND
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49171&whichpage=5

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  11:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!!! Very, very nicely done, Anna-Carin!

Brava!

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  12:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great. Thanks for sharing!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  1:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anna-Carin,
Please show a detail of a finished product made with Plaid's Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. I'm unsure of what you are saying.
Thanks

David Guffey

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  9:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna-Carin, That's a really nice momento! What scale is it - 1:12 ?

Edited by - Bill Gill on 11/21/2020 9:23:36 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  06:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made it through most of 2020 with the help of these two scratch builds...both HO scale

Great Lakes (Dunkirk, NY) Lighthouse (build thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52349)

Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot (build thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53177)

Edited by - Carl B on 11/22/2020 11:05:00 AM

Anna-Carin
New Hire

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  08:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anna-Carin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Your builds are awesome! Great photos too, at first I thought the lighthouse was a full-scale building...

George, JGDurand, Pete, Jerry, David, Bill,
Thanks, I appreciate your comments! The scale is 1:48, I like to use large photos to show detail.

I located some leftover packages and took pics. Seems that I misremembered - some of the packages weren't cut out until I'd completed the Dimensional Magic coating (much less fiddly!).

The white on the packages is not part of the print, it's lamplight reflecting off the raised parts (these are little rotary cutters). I started out with a flat printed surface, gave it a thin coat of Dimensional Magic all over so it would look like plastic, then applied more where I wanted raised areas. I probably repeated the last step once more, it flattens a little when it dries but less than you'd think. Maybe artists' gloss gel medium works similar to this product.

These packages have been evenly coated all over, no raised areas. A pile of them looks very different from a pile of flat cut-outs.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  11:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Anna! I included the actual build thread for those projects now.
See my previous post.

Interesting product that "Magic Coating". Thanks for sharing.

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 26.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000