Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 180 ]  [ Total: 183 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build
Page: of 67

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  4:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens,
That is a great looking car!

Bruce

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  8:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening Everyone.

John Bagley ask me to post some pictures of my G. Turner Company that I finished for the Challenge 4.

Here are three pictures of FSM Sewells Foundry that I scratch built from the plans.I named it Morgan's Iron Works.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  9:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,
Both structures are fantastic. Any chance that you can post a closeup of the loading dock area of Morgan's in this month's Photo Gallery?

Bruce

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  11:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Morgan's looks terrific. Pat

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  10:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I scratchbuilt this building from plans that Paul (Shamus) posted on the web.

Bruce

n/a
deleted

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  04:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, after looking a long time at some photos that Chuck Doan sent me this morning, I didn’t know whether they inspired me, or depressed me more…but regardless, they made me sit myself down at the workbench, and try to build something….never mind that I have a ton of started projects I should be working on, …..I instead decided to build a water heater that I will use as future “junk” detail somewhere.

The body is ˝” x 1-1/4” styrene tubing, with .040 styrene ends. The “stack” sleeve at the top, is a drilled out and sanded HO diesel stack from Keystone locomotive works, The plumbing at the top is from a Grandt-Line Porter back-head detail set, the legs were made from 2 O-scale Grandt-Line brake staff holders that were cut in half, the heating element door, and control box, and the detail on the underside are some parts from a Tichy HO scale tank car. Since I didn’t have any more Drain cocks from the GL backhead set, I used one from PSC. The whole thing from beginning to end took 2 hours…so it made for a fun evening project.

Marc

PS. The photos that Chuck sent me will be up on the Terrapin site by late this coming weekend, they will be under the "Equipment" section.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  06:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Marc. Can't wait to see it after you weather it and it's on a diorama. Also looking forward to seeing more of Chuck's pictures.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  09:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
That is a nice looking building. One thing that I have found is that you can't have enough small buildings to tuck in here and there.

Marc,
That is a great looking water heater. It will make a great detail somewhere.

Mike Mace

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  09:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike for adding your scratch built structures to the thread.

Marc, amazing work you do.
I am always impressed when I open a post from you as I know I will see some outstanding work.

Also thanks to all who have posted in this thread.

The following are from the very first Challenge project here on the forum.
This is a copy of Archie Smith's Fish Warehouse in Florida that I did from pictures that Brian Nolan very graciously took for me.
I renamed it Brian Nolan's Fish Warehouse.
The structures are scratch built but the wharf is a modified Campbells kit.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  1:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
Great set of buildings. I can't wait to see the wharf and its building installed on the layout.

Mike Mace

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  4:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

Really nice! Makes me want to rush right out and scratchbuild something. Except I gotta kitbash something first.

Regards,

n/a
deleted

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the water heater after getting it's paint job.

Marc

Edited by - n/a on 03/21/2005 5:05:46 PM

Section Hand

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  5:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit 6100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nicely done Marc I also really liked the mattress spring in one of your other pictures.

Here is something that will be used in a 30mm mini layout the gauge is 45mm representing 18 inches. the rail is cod 332 brush painted with floquil rail brown. The ties are cut from scrap 2x4 spruce lumber and were stained with watercolour then dusted with sepia artists conte crayon. The linkages are made of flat brass and square styrene. The switch stand is styrene brush painted with Floquil rail brown, and dusted with the sepia conte crayon.

regards Michael

If you can dream it you can make it
http://members.shaw.ca/emm48

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  6:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Wow, that is amazing trackwork! How those rails pivot and the linkages must have been fun to work out! I have enough trouble wiring frogs on a turnout, but this is way beyond that.

Chuck

Section Hand

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  6:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit 6100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck but the thing is the wiring is very simple for this switch. All the power comes from the stub end. There are no frogs to deal with all the rail is square cut, and the rotating short rails get their power from the small blocks that act as stop blocks which will be wired to the solid running rail that it lines up with. no DPDT switches needed to switch polarity. The curved rails were pulled right out of an Aristo craft small radius curve and cut in half. The square styrene is threaded with 2x56 to allow for some fine tuning on the alignment, and the styrene also is isolating the stubs.

If you can dream it you can make it
http://members.shaw.ca/emm48

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000