Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 223 ]  [ Total: 229 ]  [ Newest Member: wentzeljr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build
Page: of 67

belg
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  07:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, is this scenery for a movie or something? I see on the door you had a plan glued to what looks like a small piece of wood? Do you draw your own plans or could you share where you get them from? Sounds like an interesting project, thanks Pat

archangel1
New Hire

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  3:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Pat

No, actually it's just a backdrop for this...

Dixon Miniatures' 28mm Noon Stage kit

The white plan is a printout from one of Eric Hotz' Whitewash City paper models glued to black foamcore for strength. He produces 45 sets containing well over 60 buildings in 1/60 scale. I'm intending to make a couple of complete buildings, just as soon as I can order a foamcore rabbet cutter. It's simply a matter of talking nicely to my credit card!

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by - archangel1 on 10/18/2008 3:54:56 PM

archangel1
New Hire

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  4:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the Blacksmith post worked, here's the Livery.

Here's the two buildings on a temporary base. 28mm figure (WIP) gives an idea of scale.

Cheers,

Mike

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  5:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two very nice buildings, Mike. I like the color of the woods, and particularly on the doors.

groundeffects
New Hire

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  3:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

I've been working on a 2'x 4' N scale layout and haven't posted any pictures yet, so here is my first go at it. Tell me what you think.
Thanks,
Jeff B

Download Attachment: ATT31315.jpg
8.3 KB

Download Attachment: ATT49047.jpg
29.08 KB

belg
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  9:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that looks like a real interesting project, hope you post more updates. Pat

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  5:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everybody, I have been following this thread for some time now. So I guess I better start to contribute something myself. I built this threshing machine for a diorama, that I built for CSS08 ...it's not built after any particular proto type...just a generic looking threshing machine from Ontario, if there is such a thing.

And the other side.

I hope this is up to some of the great modeling I have seen here. Thanks for taking the time to look.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  8:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, this is a very nice piece of equipment. I really admired the farm diorama but til now did not know it was built by you. Could you possibly tell me who made the horses and wagon on your dio? Have you posted a step by step of your build anywhere? Thanks Pat

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  9:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat,thank you the team of horses that you have referred to are made by Prieser and the wagons came from model tech they were modified a bit by me to make them look more like hay wagons.And I am sorry to say I have not posted a build anywhere.Thanks again Pat!

belg
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  9:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, thanks for the info and in the future post some how to shots, they really help us all to see how other people progress thru their builds. Pat

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  6:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice threshing machine, Greg. It really adds a great, personnal touch to a diorama, much more than many "generic" pieces of equipment one can see on farm scenes. Nice work.

Dave W
Section Hand

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  10:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a great thread and I've spent hours looking through all the photos. Proving again that the 'building your own stuff' is the greatest part of the hobby. Truly outstanding work here.

My small contribution is my CNoR 3rd Class station at Winter Valley. (Turtleford SK and at least 300 others) The warehouse in the foreground and the station across the tracks is the first thing you see when you come down the stairs.

The grain terminal at Hudson is not the biggest structure on the layout (www.wvrr.ca) but when the lights are low it introduces visitors to the Pearson/Hudson area.

Home Street at Pearson wasn't finished when I took this picture but it gives you an idea what it looks like today.

IMHO it's soooo important to create something around the layout that is unique or taken from real life. Out of the box structures are just fine but the real personality of the railway comes out only when there are 'one of a kind' buildings - and trains too - in the scene.

David A Winter
Owner/Operator/Chief mechanic WVRR

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  01:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Dave, some very nice scenes there!I love the way you did the lights on the grain terminal they look fantastic.

Dave W
Section Hand

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  08:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave W's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker

Hello Dave, some very nice scenes there!I love the way you did the lights on the grain terminal they look fantastic.

Never pass up those after Christmas sales on miniature strings of lights. I used them under the eves of the stations and on some outdoor signs. About $2.00 each but you have to use a 3 1/2 volt transformer if you don't want to be replacing batteries all the time.

Dave

David A Winter
Owner/Operator/Chief mechanic WVRR

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  9:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some great modelling here.
Hi Dave, greetings from across the lake. It's been awhile since I've seen your layout because I don't remember the grain silos before.

Here's an overview of my sawmill area:

The sawmill isn't scratchbuilt (It's a JV models kit) but it's machinery is as well as the loading ramp on the right and the pile driver in the rear are all scratched.

Here's a closer look at the machinery. I'll have to look for a better interior shot. I used an old Jack Work article from MR to build the interior.

The pile driver. I found the plans in an old Model railroad craftsman. It's a fun project to build and I've seen a number of them have been built by others.

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000