Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 174 ]  [ Total: 177 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build
Page: of 67

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  01:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, . .Outstandingly built and well photoed! Thanks for sharing it.

quote:
Originally posted by cnj999

. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  8:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a beautifully done structure. The low photo angle and
outdoor lighting make it look even more convincing, if that's possible.
Great job!!

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  10:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What an awesome thread, incredibly inspiring and I have only looked at the first 10 pages! I was invited to post some of my efforts. Aside from a couple of very basic buildings the two presented here are my first real scratch build efforts. The basic structures are a great way to get some simple techniques down. I scratch build because I want to model real places that mean something to my family and friends. I love it when they visit the layout room and reminisce about the places they have been.

First up is my Father-in-laws barn as presented on my first thread.

The structure that really gets everyone talking is the old Coliseum Ballroom in Benld, IL. Once the playground of the Big Band era, Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey and others and more recently the hey day of Rock Sonny and Cher, almost everyone I know in central Illinois has spent and evening at this place. It still stands, but is empty and falling into decay. Built during prohibition it had huge bars. There was plenty of suggestion that the Mob had much to do with it. These rumors are not helped by the fact that one of the original owners was found in a river with concrete shoes soon after agreeing to turn States evidence! A colorful place indeed.

Here is is in the 50's

Here is my model complete with fiber optics for the billboard. It is only 1" deep as it is a background structure, but it gets more comment than anything else I have made.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  03:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon
I already commented on your excellent barn in its own thread, and am happy to see how many good comments you've got on this one.
While I'm more inclined towards wood structures than brick ones, I must say that your scratchbuild of the Coliseum Ball Room is great too. The lights give another visual interest. What material did you use for the bricks? I guess it is a styrene sheet, since I would personnally lack the courage to do such a work by hand carving. But some people in the world have been known to be VEEEERY patient, so...

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  07:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bonjour Frederic, indeed it is styrene brick sheet. It is laminated onto a black foam-core board substructure to give it rigidity. I found the foam-board technique on the web somewhere and it seems to be a great way of quickly constructing larger structures, ideal for background buildings. you can see the inside here. Using the board the structure shape was achieved quickly. I must say that until I found the Railroad Line forum it would never have occurred to me to carve the brickwork. With all the incredible skill on display here I am anxious to have a shot at some retaining walls that I need. So I think some stonework carving is in my future! The lighting for the Coliseum is fiber optic lit with LEDs. To give the effect of individual light bulbs in the awning I ran individual fiber optic filaments. It is a bit tedious to do, but a very effective way to get small light sources on a structure.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  8:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
John and Simon excellent work.

John Perfect, and the Photography is outstanding as well.

Simon I looked over the prototype photo and the photo of your model and could find nothing in one that was not in the other..

Attention to detail makes a model and a scene Great work.

And I also love seeing lighting on the layouts and scale lighting makes it even better.

A+ work both of you.

Welcome to the forum you both belong here.

Mike J

cnj999
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  08:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been a while since I've posted anything I've done but let me re-surface with a barge-mounted pile driver. This was scratched based on photos of the FSM Jewel #1 kit that I saw in RMC and elsewhere.

John

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  08:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John:

Very Very Nice Job!!!!!! Great coloring and weathering. I need to get back into scratch building.

Karl S.
Lansdale, pa.

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  09:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow John, excellent work. Looks very real, especially the smoke (Photoshop?)

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  11:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job John. Considering the size of the characters, it appears to be a huge beast. It seems to have every detail one expects on this kind of piece of equipment. Is it HO scale?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  11:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Two very nice builds Simon, I particularly like the lighting on the dance hall, I was going to do the same sort of thing on the model power movie theatre but decided the structure wasnt worth the effort . After seeing your results I will definately use it on a stucture in the future, I get my fibre optics in the floral section at Michaels, They have a light unit with around 100 optic wires for putting in a pot plant for $3.99, includes the battery holder, they also have a unit with 20 GoR bulbs pre wired to a battery unit for $2.99, Ideal for multiple lights in a single structure, I think I'm gonna use one on my Shelbys.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 05/29/2007 11:52:02 AM

cnj999
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  11:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Great job John. Considering the size of the characters, it appears to be a huge beast. It seems to have every detail one expects on this kind of piece of equipment. Is it HO scale?

Yup, it's HO. Unfortunately, because of the angle of the shot, which was done for maximum realism, not even a tenth of the model's existing detail is apparent. The additional image below is on a somewhat larger scale and shows a bit more.

John

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  03:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Top notch work John.

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  04:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon, . .Great philosophy on building and very well done! It makes me want to get started.

quote:
Originally posted by simon1966

. . .I scratch build because I want to model real places that mean something to my family and friends. I love it when they visit the layout room and reminisce about the places they have been. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  04:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John, for the additionnal picture. I've always been fascinated by this barge mounted pile driver, and might try my hand at scratchbuilding one someday (or maybe some days...)

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000