Railroad Line Forums - Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 227 ]  [ Total: 231 ]  [ Newest Member: wentzeljr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Photo Gallery of things you have scratch built
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build
Page: of 67

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  12:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Mike C. might get a charge out of the whole thing. By the time this has gone full circuit, we may have to re-fuse to continue with the topic.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  2:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

Here are some pictures of the first station in a set of three that I am building for my layout. If any one is interested I have a thread on building it in the Startin' from Scratch forum. It is called New Station for the N. Division of the Santa Fe.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Edited by - mikethetrainman on 07/07/2005 2:06:47 PM

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  3:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job, Mike . This model looks very convincing. I especially like the platform lamps - did you scratchbuild them as well?

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  4:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Al they were something I found in my scrap box. I don't remember where they came from or who made them.

Mike Mace

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  4:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely great job on that station, Mike. Everything blends so perfectly. I can't wait to see it on the layout.
Which brings me to the following observation: I had a chance to go back through all the pages of this thread, and there is a whole bunch of absolutely superb craftsmanship. To paraphrase what George Gobel once said on the Johnny Carson show, I sometimes feel like the whole Forum is a tuxedo and I'm a pair of brown shoes. But seriously, folks . . .

Most of you know I do more kitbashing than scratchbuilding. But when necessity dictates, I scratch my little heart out. Here's an example of a prototype industry on the old Louisville & Wadley RR in Georgia. My L&WS is closely based on the L&W so I wanted a version on the layout.

This is the Louisville Fertilizer & Gin Company, the largest shipper on the L&W. There are five main structures in this sprawling complex: The wood cotton gin, which ships baled cotton in boxcars; the brick processing plant that produces cotton oil, fertilizer, and other by products; the huge seed house which stores cotton seed and ships it in covered hoppers; the oil tanks for storing the oil and shipping in tank cars; and the warehouse which stores the fertilizer and other by-products, and ships them in boxcars. A neat industry for providing lots of traffic and variety in freight cars. Well, try as I might, I could not find any kits suitable for kitbashing the major structures. So I had to scratchbuild. Here's the finished complex.

Well, I actually ended up "scratchbashing" the complex. As you can see, I had to severely compress the complex to fit on my spatially challenged layout. I sctatchbuilt the wood cotton gin following the lines of the prototype. I used leftover wall parts from a couple of old Heljan Tombstone Courthouse kits I scored a deal on because they were damaged. It has a scratchbuilt roof with scratchbuilt piping and cyclones leftover from several different kits. The seed house is scratchbuilt using foam board and more pieces of Campbell corrugated siding than I ever want to see again. The oil tanks and pumphouse are leftover from a Walthers Interstate Oil while the warehouse is an old Campbell kit. Of course, once I get the complex settled in the scenery and add more details it'll look a lot better. BTW, this is a fun industry to switch as I have to pull set outs from the siding to set out empties or pick up loads.

For those who might be curious, the combine is patterned after the Wadley Southern combine in the B&W photo and is kitbashed from an Athearn round roof coach and a baggage car.

Hope you enjoy.

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  12:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Prowling around through the hundreds of topics on Railroad Forums, I stumbled across this one late last night. I know this is not a secret society, but your existence was certainly a secret to me.

But I see virtually all my favorite scratchbuilders are here.

Karl commented that he liked scratchbuilding because he didn't have to follow instructions. As I still don't understand the instructions of uploading photos to the Forums, I will continue to be a lurker. But I am enjoying looking at what you guys are doing.

Question? Do you want a bunch more members? Or are you pretty select about the company you keep?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  1:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl,
We are always looking for new members. Everyone tends to bring something different to the table.

Here is a link to Mike's tutorial on posting photos to the forum. Let us know if you need any help.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4761

Bruce

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  3:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple of items that will eventually find a home in my 1/24th scale machine shop:

This is the storage area over the office:

Thanks for the look.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  4:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, Ken, awesome job. Ya know, I gotta figure out a way to make HO larger or a way to build and detail in 1/24 and shrink it down to HO.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  5:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken that is some really neat stuff. I really like the stuff stacked over the office.

Mike Mace

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  6:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, those are some excellent looking items. I hope we get to see more pictures of the machine later.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  7:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, more of your great work. Thanks for sharing it. If I didn't know better, I'd swear you got your modeling inspiration from looking at my shop and office.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  7:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
As the others have said, that is some great modeling. Please keep those pictures coming!

Bruce

TrevorCreek
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  7:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see TrevorCreek's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ken,

Great stuff!!! Where did you get the detail parts on the workbench? I really like those wrenches.

Frank

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  7:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I thought my little 1/25 project was going to be easy compared to HO, but your raising the bar to a lofty height...great work

In memory of Mike Chambers

Page: of 67 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Why do you scratch build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000