Railroad Line Forums - Why do you scratch build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 136 ]  [ Total: 138 ]  [ Newest Member: unclebug ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Why do you scratch build
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4
Page: of 9

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  12:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I scratch build to avoid the similar plastic models that everyone else has on there layouts.
I scratch to challenge my skills.
I also will kitbash and add to a scratch built model.
Just to be different.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2019 :  12:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that most everyone here is talking about structures, but I prefer building cars. I have amassed a large collection of LaBelle, Scotia, and Juneco's, along with a few of the others out there, but frankly, I am not satisfied with the level of completion from kits. I am upping my game to extremely kitbash my cars or scratch-build them.

Since I work off of prototype photos, I want the ultimate realism, getting as close to the prototype as I can. Now I am not a prototype guru, because I know that because of the constraints of the hobby, and size, we do not have all the parts, and some parts are not accurately sizes, etc., so you have to compromise. My goal is to put it up against the picture of the prototype and have it look as close to the real thing as possible.

I want to see floor boards under the car. No one will see them, but I want them there.
I want to have the right trucks under the car, though smooth operation is a must.
I want to accurately display air lines, but I may not be able to always use the magnetic auto coupling air lines.
I want the height of the car to be correct. Width may not always be, unless a specialty.
I want the hardware to be correct: Doors, grab irons/ladders, brake wheel, etc.
I want graphics to be correct. (Oh I miss Art Griffin decals).

I would like each car to be special, each on its own merits.

As for buildings, I may have to totally scratch build. Being on a fixed income, kits are difficult to afford unless I can snag for a song and dance, or work with someone on split payments. I don't want a "me too" layout where everyone says "This is that, and that is this."

Just my thoughts at .03 over the rate of inflation.

Levi

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000