Railroad Line Forums - Why do you scratch build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Why do you scratch build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scratchbuilding a memory Topic Next Topic: Learning to scratchbuild (a beginners attempt)
Page: of 8

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  12:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was surfing around the forum this evening and found this thread. I voted for #4. I like to do most everything about building a layout but wiring. But the thing that keeps me going is designing and building my own buildings. I guess for many of the reasons given in this thread. The main one is when your done you have something different and designed to to fit the space. I also do my share of kit building from most all the major craftsman kit makers. I also do some kitbashing and scratchbashing to.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  07:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny you say you don't like wiring. It is now a mini hobby for me. I used to feel that way, but I rather like it now. It is amazing what those little electrons will do for you if you point them in the right direction at the right time. But, then that's the secret.

Comstock Carshops
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  10:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Comstock Carshops's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was torn between other and #1. I dabble in logging, mining, and old structures. I like building from actual photos and footages, but I have also create spur of the moment ideas that pop into my pea brain! I have also produced kits by request. You may not see mant of them duplicated on layouts as I only put out fifty or so of each, this allows me to move on. Just so many ideas from different folks, and things that I would like to put out there for the modeler, but as everyone knows, most of us are working in that "so little time frame"
Rick

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  11:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I scratchbuild it is usually something very simple, unique that manufacturers do not make. So I look at the basic shapes and find stuff I need and try to replicate it. An example is a golf ball washer for the LVN Golf course. Take a small pin head, insert it in a round piece of styrene sprue and mount it on a thinned piece of sprue. Paint the thinned sprue white, the styrene red, and pin black:) If the manufacturers make something I usually buy them and kitbash or paint it different. It is mostly an issue of time, having so much to do on the layout and I like operations and it takes so many hours of railroading pleasure.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  11:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted #1. I find very little offerings in On30.
I have found a few plans in 1/24 scale and reduced 50%. Also like the challenge I can also be creative, where the more expensive craftsman kits are pretty much one design.

Old Fogy
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  06:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I started very late in life to begin scratchbuilding. But, for the short period I that I have had my hands touching wood and the tools required to build, I found the technique rewarding.

Creating something -- whether a musical score or a piece of literature -- from mere thought then to substance is satisfying and often difficult to describe. It's satisfying; it's confidence building; it's assuring that one has the ability and capability to transform an idea, an abstraction -- to something concrete.

Unforunately, many of us lack the technical know-how and necessary tools, initially. But through exchanges in forums and suggestions from those recognized for their creative skills, novices can move up the ladder to craftsman level. Kits are excellent, but what can best describe one's scratchbuilt creation from wood, cardstock or plastic other than a "proud and heartfelt accomplishment."

Gary (Old Fogy)

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  7:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I voted "other" because I have been making models of very specific buildings.

paperbender1960
New Hire

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  12:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have marked other, for a variety of reasons. I want to have my own railroad, so I need buildings and rolling stock to fit my own needs. And I have to justify all of that stuff and tools that my loving wife has allowed me to clutter up the house with.

Glen

davkin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  9:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Newbie weighing in here. I voted for wanting something unique but I really do it for three of the five reasons. I do think a lot of this model railroad stuff is priced very high. My roots are model car building and railroad modeling has caused me sticker shock on many occasions! Many of those things I just can't afford, and many times even if I can afford it I figure I could build it myself for much less and do a better job of it. Also, I just enjoy scratchbuilding. There's just no feeling like creating something from a bunch of nothing. If only there were 30 hours/day.

David

cnj999
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  3:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A rather difficult poll to vote honestly in for me. If pushed, I'd probably have to go with #2. Really, in the case of my scratch replicas of FSM kits, I'm driven by my own creativity and the challenge of replicating some difficult commercial kit structure from scratch. I must admit this outlook also extends to simpler plastic kits as well, almost alway "bashing" them in some manner that makes them rather unique looking and usually much larger than the manufacturer's original intent.

John

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  4:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Part of the fun of building especially in wood is the fun of designing a unique building and then working your way through it. I almost never draw out detailed plans but just a basic layout drawing and go from there. The end result is a product of my imagination.
Peter

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  10:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SPAM!

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  10:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

SPAM!

Yup, and there will probably be more before Mike gets here to delete his account. It will be taken care of.

As you think, so will you be.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  5:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick and Bob,
I deleted the spam and Mike has locked the account.
So one down but I am sure others will find their way here sooner or later.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  6:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry because this is certainly a really dumb question. But can someone tell me where the hell one has to click to be able to see the proposed answers and to vote?

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Scratchbuilding a memory Topic Next Topic: Learning to scratchbuild (a beginners attempt)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000