Railroad Line Forums - Why do you scratch build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Why do you scratch build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Frank & Berthas Farm Build Topic Next Topic: USFS-Crew Cabin-Build Thread
Page: of 8

davidellinger77
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  6:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vance-thanks for posting your gallery link. I especially like your Wiliker's. A much different setting than you usually see it in. Nice work

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  12:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scratch building (in my opinion) is easier at times than trying to figure out some of the instructions in kits. Some are very good and others your darn near scratch building anyway. The BM kits and MS I have been working on as of late though are very good and enjoyable...Jerry

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  08:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry M

Scratch building (in my opinion) is easier at times than trying to figure out some of the instructions in kits. Some are very good and others your darn near scratch building anyway. The BM kits and MS I have been working on as of late though are very good and enjoyable...Jerry

I'd be happy with prototype building drawings rather then whole kits. Maybe a supply list for detail parts when available. I'd pay for something like that. Those things don't show up in model magazines too often these days.

Joe <><

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  7:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Joe, I copy plans from mag's or books then draw to scale. Place them on my bench under wax paper and lay out the walls with studs top plates window framing etc. just the same as a full size building.It's not complicated if I can do it. Works well and the bonus is a realistic interior wall with studs and all. Use Grandt line windows and doors for the most part. Even if they don't give plans you can get pretty close on buildings from photos and if your lucky enough to visit in person break out the tape.............Jerry

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  10:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I voted for the "cost saving" choice. If I had lotsa money, I'd be happy to just build the really great kits that are constantly coming on the market. But reality intrudes, so I scratch-build in between the splurges.

Don Reed
Pittsburgh

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  8:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scratch-building gives a feeling of accomplishment. With sufficient funds and time, almost anyone can complete a highly engineered and expertly designed kit. But when you have designed the project, machined the parts that move, or constructed the various components yourself, there can be a joy that cannot quite be equaled by finishing a kit, no matter how complex, for somebody else has already performed a major portion of the work.

DaveInTheHat
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  9:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaveInTheHat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The number 1 reason Iscratch build because I can't find a job that pays enough to be able to buy all the stuff that I want.
The second reason is it makes the stuff I build unique.

http://www.fotki.com/daveinthehat
http://www.youtube.com/user/daveinthehat/videos

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  08:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why do I scratchbuild? There are two answers.

The old days. When I was a kid in the 50s, I lived in a little desert town with no source of kits. I could buy model airplane kits at the hardware store so I used those kits for sources of balsa and spruce. So I scratchbuilt originally because I didn't know kits existed.

Then I went through a phase when I built kits but soon found that painting and glueing a kit together did not satisfy me much.

Today. I build board by board because I find it quicker than cutting scribed siding. Plus I avoid all the warpage problems with scribed siding. Plus I have one of a kind models you will not see anywhere else.

I have a closet filled with FSM, Bar Mills, and other beautiful kits. But I don't find the pleasure in building them that I do in scratchbuilding.

I don't have any model railroading friends within 2,000 miles so I don't build to with them in mind. I build only for my own pleasure and that pleasure comes from scratchbuilding.

There are lots of great model builders. Those whose work I am especially fond of are all structure and diorama builders. Not layout builders to speak of. I know nothing about locomotives at all. And could care less.

I have never lived more than 50 feet from a railroad so I am no more impressed by trains that most people are by the cars parked in Walmart's parking lot. They are simply too common to me.

Chuck Doan, Dave Revelia, Brian Nolan, Marc Reusser, John Hunter, Laurie Green, and Brian Block are just a few of the living model builders who I really wish lived down the street from me so I could visit them and watch them build.

I was fortunate to live near Max Corey for many years. Max is an eccentric model builder who is right there with all of the above for outstanding modelng ability and imagination.

I can do a credible job of looking at any of the work of the above model builders and replicating it, but I don't have an original bone in my body, so all I can do is copy.

All my vacations are planned around going to out of the way areas to look for old delapidated buildings to build models of. When I am building a model of an old building I think about the man who originally built it. How proud he must of been and how hopeful for the future. Now all his work has been abandoned and nobody cares at all about his pride and joy except for me.

If you would like to see a couple of hundred photographs of old buildings I have found along the way in my travels, please follow this link:

http://oldbuildings.photosite.com/

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  09:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I can do a credible job of looking at any of the work of the above model builders and replicating it, but I don't have an original bone in my body, so all I can do is copy."

Just what I am doing with the blast furnace project...coping Jeff Bournes outstanding work!

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  10:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Why do you scartch build?" That's almost like asking why I model. For the fun of it!

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Sodbuster
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  11:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#2 & #4

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  11:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My reason to scratch build is to match the prototype. If somebody made the exact kit I need I would probably buy it. So I voted other. No. 2 comes close to my reason. Now all I need to do is actually do something. haha
Jon R. Gearhart

David Butler
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  4:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I scratch build because the costs of importing kits into the UK makes them prohibitive for me and there are very few sellers of O scale structures etc over here.
Does test my ingenuity when I can't get to my Grandt line supplier or he'sout of stock

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  8:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes for all of them. Its a hard choice but its normally to have something unique.

toonsign
New Hire

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  6:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit toonsign's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I voted for build my own structures. The reason for this is, I model the Western Sierra logging railroads during the mid to late 1800's.

Most of these lines were built from whatever was lying around and this gives me the opportunity to create my own structures. I do board by board using Northeastern wood.

Although not as detailed as the work I've seen by other forum members, I still enjoy creating and building my own.

Thanks,

Fred
Melbourne FL

http://www.railroadbuildersmagazine.com
http://thewsrr.railroadprinters.com

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Frank & Berthas Farm Build Topic Next Topic: USFS-Crew Cabin-Build Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000