Railroad Line Forums - Welcome to the Erie & Lackawanna Forum!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: onetelo ]
 All Forums
 Fallen Flag Railroad Forums
 Erie / Lackawanna Railroad Forum
 Welcome to the Erie & Lackawanna Forum!
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: The New DL&W Trainsheds in Hoboken 1911  

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  6:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Erie & Lackawanna Forum! There are many of us that remember these two great railroads from 'back when'...back when we commuted into Jersey City or Hoboken, back when we lived along the mainlines, or back when we were railfanning in those final days before the merger or before Conrail. All posts are welcomed and we'll try to answer you questions. Particularly needed are photos of rolling stock, motive power, or structures that modelers and fans can use. Got some personal experience stories? Share 'em here! It's your Erie & Lackawanna Forum!

Russ

Edited by - slimrails on 02/11/2005 6:45:03 PM

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  9:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Back in the fities, took a ride on the line from the terminal in Buffalo southwest along the Lakeshore and returned by school bus i remember the grain silos in the Harbor. Maybe that's why I am so fascinated by them to this day.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  09:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great-grandfather was stationmaster in Wimmers (Wayne County PA, the old Erie & Wyoming line, if I remember right) for a couple of years at the end of the previous century. That station (one of the famous 'pagoda' designs) is now the church administration building for St John's in Hamlin. They're taking great care of the building. http://waynehistorypa.org/places/id/123

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

FrankieJ
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  12:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grew up in Nanticoke,Pa and I remember the DL&W "Bloom" across the river in West Nanticoke.There was the H&N (Hanover and Newport) branch that came across the river and into the Loomis breaker. A line also went out to the Auchincloss breaker on the south side of Nanticoke. The line also branched out to the Bliss colliery and the Truesdale colliery.All of this is now gone unfortunately.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  07:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, it only took 13 years and nine months to get a response to this forum!

Mike

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So you are saying we are way ahead of schedule?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  10:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My grandfather, from Glen Ridge, NJ, used to work as a switchman for the Delaware Lakawanna & Western RR back in the early part of the last century. He told me about having to go out in the blizzards to free-up frozen switches. Tuff generation.

Here's a picture of a knuckle busting monkey wrench he must have forgotten to bring back to the shop one evening. I still cherish that old tool today.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The real joy is that you have something special to remember him by.

Although not railroad related, I have a Crucifix from my great grandfather. It will be passed on to my daughter and then to my grand daughter when she is old enough to appreciate the significance of something held in the family for six generations.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"So you are saying we are way ahead of schedule?"

Probably "better late than never" would be more accurate.

Mike

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  11:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I lived just a stone's throw from the Erie mainline growing up and saw many Alco Rs2 diesels pulling Stillwell coaches in commuter service. Sometimes they were pulled by Alco PAs, too. The freights were either pulled by Geeps or Alco FT lashups. Since the town's Erie station was only a few houses away, I rode the commuter trains to Hoboken and remember the Lackawanna ferries to NYC very well. Great memories!

Blazeman
Section Hand

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  12:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only just noticed "activity" on this thread.

I have the privilege to participate in ops sessions monthly on a DLW/Erie layout. Layout set for early 50's. Passenger operations, both long haul (Erie Limited, Buffalo and Scranton trains, and commuters) worked in among the freight locals and line hauls. Hoboken passenger terminal, Jersey City yard and car float, branch to Port Jervis, intense switching at Washington, Dover, and Wharton. Port Morris yard hub of operation.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  1:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to work out of Hoboken terminal which was owned by the Erie & Lackawanna.

As you think, so will you be.

Topic Next Topic: The New DL&W Trainsheds in Hoboken 1911  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000