Railroad Line Forums - Bret's Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 214 ]  [ Total: 220 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bret's Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module
Page: of 4

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  11:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

Here is the J. F. Fenstermacher sign for all to use.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  06:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Karl. I'll see how she prints out later today.

Bruce

Brian Nolan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  07:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, seeing Brett's Brewery brings back memories. That was my first wood kit and it is still on dispaly at my old RR club. I'm sure it doesn't look even half as good Mike's. However, I certainly looks waaay better than Karl's junk!

Mike, good idea cutting back those big clunky windows.Campbell make some tremendously big windows. You are certainly doing the kit justice...excellent weathering and attention to detailing the broken board look. Much better than Karl's. All in all it's going to be a great looking model. Still a personal favorite. keep posting great shots. I have never seen an excellent job done on this kit before. I'm interested in what a great job done to this kit will look like.

Brian

Hope I woke up my boy from his Michigan freeze...Karl!

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  8:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brian for the nice comments about Bret's.
I have never liked Campbells windows and doors they always looks wrong some how to me. I thought I would see if I could make them look better on this project. I think what I did helped them, but on a different project I will use GL. Grandt Line and now Tichy Train Group is what I keep in stock on my work bench.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Retro-Lounge
Section Hand

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  8:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great thread. My first structure kits I built were Campbell Kits I did back in the 70's. I have Brett's Brewery that my younger brother built back then. I will also be replacing the front office with a scratchbuilt section of some sort, and adding many of my own touches to it before it goes on the layout.

Thanks for all the photos, you guys do great work!

Paul August

Tommyblooz
New Hire

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  1:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tommyblooz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everyone seems to love this kit but until I found this article, I had seen very few photos of the finished kit. Here is a photo of my effort. I haven't completed the build but you can get an idea of what it will look like when I am finished. Notice that the water tank is not on the roof. Very unprototypical and structuraly unsound. I also lowered the roof on the boiler house and hand laid the bricks using Hunter Scenery Products bricks. I built the roof for the boiler house using the techniques from Darryl Hoffman's DVD.

I'd love to see other modelers post their photos of Bret's.

kay4pacific
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  6:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out the O scale version of this kit. It is being built by Tom. The kit Is "Mt Albert Brewery".

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  10:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike did you ever finish this project? Pat

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  10:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tommy, your brewery looks pretty good. Do you have any more pictures?

Tommyblooz
New Hire

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  11:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tommyblooz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a photo of the Industrial water tank
that I built from Campbell kit plans. I was
reading on the Rensselaer site about architectural
practices. They were talking about Bret's regarding
the boiler house and the water tank. In the real
world the water tank would never be constructed
on the top of that type building. The weight would
crush the structure. Also, the boiler house would
not have a "Lightning Striker" roof, so I lowered
mine to a more normal pitch.

Tommyblooz
New Hire

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  11:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tommyblooz's Homepage  Reply with Quote

dseitz
New Hire

Posted - 10/12/2020 :  7:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello from 2020! I've seen this comment a few times with respect to the Brett's Brewery kit. If you think water tanks on roofs are structurally unsound, search for the subject on Google. Many buildings have water tanks on their roofs. I can't see any reason why the internal building structure can't have framing to support the load. I'm actually thinking of kit bashing this to include internal timber framing that is supporting the water tank, with a removable roof, and maybe even detailing the entire brewery operation.
[quote]Originally posted by Tommyblooz

...Notice that the water tank is not on the roof. Very unprototypical and structuraly unsound...

Edited by - dseitz on 10/12/2020 7:46:30 PM

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  11:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During my trip to New York in 2017, I took photos of several water tanks on top of buildings. Here is one that I think we would appreciate.
Regards, Vic B.

quote:
Originally posted by dseitz

Hello from 2020! I've seen this comment a few times with respect to the Brett's Brewery kit. If you think water tanks on roofs are structurally unsound, search for the subject on Google. Many buildings have water tanks on their roofs. I can't see any reason why the internal building structure can't have framing to support the load. I'm actually thinking of kit bashing this to include internal timber framing that is supporting the water tank, with a removable roof, and maybe even detailing the entire brewery operation.
[quote]Originally posted by Tommyblooz

...Notice that the water tank is not on the roof. Very unprototypical and structuraly unsound...

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000