Railroad Line Forums - Bret's Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 224 ]  [ Total: 224 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bret's Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module
Page: of 4

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  11:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Looks good. The last Campbell kit I built was their Cordage Co. I put all new windows and doors in it as I feel thiers are way to thick. I painted it blue and scratch built some out buildings. I've since tore the diorama apart and have plans to use it on my RR. Maybe I'll post a pic of it. later ok. Your structure is looking real good kep up the good work and please more pics.

Karl S

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  12:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce, Rick, MikeC and MikeLV for the kind words.Its coming along slow but getting there. I'm going to work on the doors and windows today.

Karl S
I plan on using the windows and doors that come with the kit. I'm going to modify them. I hope after I'm done with them they will look better. I will be building new loading doors board by board.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  12:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

Here are a few pics of my last Campbell structure. As i said i added new windows, signs and other details.

Karl S

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  7:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl S,
Your J.F. Fenstermacher's looks great. I have always liked that name since I seen it on the F&SM. I am planning to do a copy of that building for my layout. I have a triangular lot just perfect for it.

Mike Mace

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  11:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

George got the sign from me.

Karl S

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  11:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Good Evening Everyone,
Well I have been out of town most of this week. So didn't have access to my computer, and was not able to do any work on Bret's. Paul I was over in your nick of the woods for a Job in Murfreesboro. We have a couple of builders there that we install for two or three times a year.

I was able to work on the windows and doors last weekend.

I did some modifications on the windows. I cut the little tips off the top and sill of the windows and filed the top flat.The top two windows in the picture are the way they come in the kit. The bottom row show the changes that I made. Also because the building is old and run down I wanted some sashes missing.

I fitted two to the building to see what they looked like.

I made a small holder for hand painting my windows.

Here is a shot showing the boarded up window on the front.

All the windows are installed and weathered with caulk. I hit the back of the glass with dirty dio-sol before applying chalk.

I started the doors by lining the door frames with 6x6's FSM style.

Mike Mace

Edited by - mikethetrainman on 01/23/2005 01:58:33 AM

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  01:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the second part of tonights post. I found that I had the setting on my camera to high. I went back and resized the pictures for the doors.

I made a template to build the loading doors with. I built them using board by board construction.

Here I am using The Chopper to cut all the back boards for the doors.

I built the doors in half so they could be installed in open positions. This half is finished except for some weathering with chalk.

Before I could build the upper loading door I had to build and install the second floor. It is built just like the first floor.

This is a shot with the second floor and all the doors and windows installed except for the upper loading door.

This shot is from the track side. I need to go back and touch up some of the end of boards that are laying around. I put a old crate behind the one set of doors to fill up some of the open space.

Here is a close up shot showing the loading door and two windows on the front of Bret's

Next stop the last loading door and starting on the roof.

Mike Mace

Edited by - mikethetrainman on 01/23/2005 02:01:36 AM

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  01:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Thanks for sharing the process and progress of this fine structure. Since I'm more visually oriented, it is a great learning tool.

Allen
Modelling the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by mikethetrainman

. . .He wants it built as a unused
and rundown building in a brewery complex. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  07:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Very nice job on the windows and doors. The colors you are using all blend well together and the overall visual effect is of a well-worn building. Could you give a quick rundown on how you painted/weathered the windows?

Bruce

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  08:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
The Brewery is coming together very well and looks good. You did a nice job on the windows and doors. It's hard to tell who actually manufactured them but the important point, is that they blend in and look correct for the structure and that they do. The construction photographs are much appreciated. I know in my case, it's takes me so long to set up the lights, tripod, backdrop and the rest, that I tend to NOT take enough construction pictures.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  09:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
J.F Fenstermacher...quality work...wouldn't expect anything less. BTW, still waiting for my snap type structure kit. I need the practice. Will call you later today. I can't believe it's still snowing!!!!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  10:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, great job. Good choice of colors and the weathering is just right. Thanks for all the pictures.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  1:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Everyone for the kind coments.

Bruce,
I first primed the windows with Floquil all-purpose spray #330009 light gray figure- primer (spray can). After that dried I painted the windows with Delta Ceramcoat Autumn Brown. I dipped my brush in a container of Polly S Airbrush Thinner and then into the paint. This will leave places where the gray primer shows. After this drys I go over everything with a couple of washes of A/I. After the glass is installed and the windows are mounted in the building I wash the back of the glass with dirty lacquer thinner.Then I dust both side with chalk dust in this case a rusty brown color. The chalk I'm using at this time is made by Conte'a'Paris. It is a set of 12 sticks, six sticks ranging from a dark brown to a orange red (great for rusting things). The other six are black. I have had this set for more than twenty years. Hope this helps.

Mike Mace

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  2:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Thanks! It is already cut and pasted into my "Modeling Tips" file.

Bruce

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  9:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Mike. I like the color of the windows, the boarded up window and your loading doors. Nice job, so far!

Chuck

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000