Railroad Line Forums - Bret's Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 209 ]  [ Total: 213 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bret's Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HRM Laser Models 25t coaling tower Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module
Page: of 4

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  6:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Michael,

I didn't have the kit for Brett's Brewery but I did have some pictures of it. I scratch-built mine using Northeastern clapboard. I schlocked together the boiler room stone walls with Chooch retaining walls and then made a rubber mold so I could cast the walls. I also changed the false-front office to a little 2-story kind of thing. I built my version as a business that has not hit on hard times so it is not that rundown. I've attached a few photos.

Karl Osolinski
Berkley, MI

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  8:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl,
I Have been a fan of your work ever since I jointed the FSM group on Yahoo. You rank right up there with John Allen and George Sellios in my book. I think I like your stuff just a little more than George's because yours is not quite as run down. Thanks for the pictures I have downloaded them to my Karl O. file. That is one great looking model. Your boilerhouse looks great. Do you do much Scratch-building? I have just started playing with doing my own casting.I made some molds from the rock foundations out FSM's Barnstead Lumber Co. I cast them in Durham's Water Putty, they came out all right.I'm going to try making a stone wall section and then casting it in latex rubber.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  8:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Did you ever find Karl's Photo Album. I download any & everything I find of Karl's. Great inspiration & ideas! I agree that his weathering in, IMHO, is just right.

I am continuing to follow your progress. Keep up the good work.

Karl,
Thanks for the additional photos of Brett's. As I said earlier, after seeing yours, this has become one of my favorite Campbell kits (even though yours was not a kit). Great job!

Karl, what do you make your molds out of for your castings? I have used liquid latex before. Is there something better to use.

Paul

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  8:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
Yes I did MikeC posted a link to the file. As always great stuff I also save everything i find by Karl. It is very good for inspiration and ideas. I also have 122mb of pictures of George's Layout that I have collected of the internet.

Mike Mace

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  07:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's impressive, Karl. I really like the whole structure, especially what you did for the stone boiler room.

Chuck

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  08:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbrockatsf

Mike,
Did you ever find Karl's Photo Album. I download any & everything I find of Karl's. Great inspiration & ideas! I agree that his weathering in, IMHO, is just right.

I am continuing to follow your progress. Keep up the good work.

Karl,
Thanks for the additional photos of Brett's. As I said earlier, after seeing yours, this has become one of my favorite Campbell kits (even though yours was not a kit). Great job!

Karl, what do you make your molds out of for your castings? I have used liquid latex before. Is there something better to use.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I use the liquid latex also...never tried anything else. After about the third coat I put a layer of gauze in the wet latex. I usually end up doing about six coats to get a mold that is pretty sturdy.

Karl O

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  09:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Brett's is looking really nice. I had started to do some prep on the kit back in the summer. Like my truss bridge (different thread) my kit is about 25 years old. Fortunately, I didn't mess it up with furnitures stain!

Karl:

I'm glad I got to see what you did with the office section. I never cared for the stock, false-front style that was (is) common to a few of the CSM kits. THat sheet of clear plastic stonework gices me the willies as well.

Could you please expand on your "schlocking" process? I'm not sure I understand how you did the boileroom walls. Did you use the Chooch stuff (resin I'm presuming) as a master? - Then did you cast in hydrocal? I'd like some edumacation on this please.

Thanks!

-Slim

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  12:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimjerkins

Mike:

Brett's is looking really nice. I had started to do some prep on the kit back in the summer. Like my truss bridge (different thread) my kit is about 25 years old. Fortunately, I didn't mess it up with furnitures stain!

Karl:

I'm glad I got to see what you did with the office section. I never cared for the stock, false-front style that was (is) common to a few of the CSM kits. THat sheet of clear plastic stonework gices me the willies as well.

Could you please expand on your "schlocking" process? I'm not sure I understand how you did the boileroom walls. Did you use the Chooch stuff (resin I'm presuming) as a master? - Then did you cast in hydrocal? I'd like some edumacation on this please.

Thanks!

-Slim

Hello Slim,

Yes, that clear plastic stone material gives me the heebie jeebies, too. I just can't make it look right.

The Chooch #8302 retaining wall is only about 3" high and the front peaked wall on the boilerhouse is about 4" high. All I did was cut the wall and splice the two pieces together to get the extra height I needed. The wall was plenty wide enough for the sides. I made a mold using liquid latex and then cast the walls with hydrocal and that was it. I did break one side cutting out the big window hole so I just cast another one.

Karl Osolinski
Berkley, MI

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  2:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl also used different windows which I like.

Mike,
I think the idea of the leaking water tank & water stain is a great for a dilapidated, run-down building.

Paul

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  12:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Karl . . .

What would it take for you to cast me a couple of sets (one for oops purposes) from that thar mold?

-Slim

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  8:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening Everyone,
Well its been a long week and I didn't get to work on Bret's until this weekend.
I stained the foundation pieces with my AMM/I stain. After they dried I painted them with the trim paint.

While they were drying I installed the belt rail too the bottom of the walls.

After installing the belt rail I started putting on the foundation pieces one on each corner of each wall.

At this point I installed a 12x12 on the bottom of the foundation and stained it and the eight pieces of foundation all ready install with the A/I wash. The 12x12's were given 4 coats.

I then cut a few pieces of foundation up so that there would be missing and broken boards.I glued these pieces on leaving gaps here and there.

Here is the track side with the foundation installed. still have to wash with a few coats of A/I.

Hope to get more done this week.

Mike Mace

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  10:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
The step-by-step is much appreciated! It is looking good.

Bruce

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  08:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, lots of good pictures, thanks. You're adding a lot of character to this kit. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  11:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Mike.

mikeLV
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  11:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Great work Mike. The pictures are much appreciated.

Mike

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: HRM Laser Models 25t coaling tower Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000