Railroad Line Forums - Bret's Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 212 ]  [ Total: 218 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bret's Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module
Page: of 4

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  12:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening Everyone,
I'm building Bret's Brewery (Campbell Scale
Models) for a friend. He wants it built as a unused
and rundown building in a brewery complex.

Here is the kit and its contents.

Step 1 Tape the back side of the wall sections and cut out the doors and windows.I went over both sides of the wall sections with my black india ink and ammonia wash.My mix is a film can
with two droppers of ink. Use the dropper that comes in the ink bottle.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Edited by - mikethetrainman on 01/06/2005 12:26:33 AM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  12:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

I really like this structure. I saw Karl O's scratchbuilt version of this kit & fell in love with it. He made some changes I like. His is in his photo album.

I will be following this thread & your progress.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 01/06/2005 12:32:59 AM

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  12:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most all the walls are in two or three sections except for the track side lower loading door wall.It is in five sections. After locating all the section for each wall, I used masking tape on the back side to hold them together.

I do things a little different instead of white or yellow glue I use ACC to put my buildings together.I take a strip of double stick tape and put it on my little square. I
use this as a stop.I lightly press the wall section against the square with my thumb and hold the 12x12 I use for the bracing against the square also while I apply the ACC.

Finished wall with its bracing installed.

Mike Mace

olmacguy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  07:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit olmacguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am a long (very) time fan of Campbell kits. Have built many with many on my "to do" shelf. The ones I have built were too many years ago to mention so it is very interesting to see some of the "modern" techniques applied to these kits. You have already taught me a new trick on bracing and I will follow this topic closely. You are also doing a great job on the photos. Pictures are easy for this old man to understand.

Bud

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks for starting this thread. I have never built a Campbell kit. I have been afraid to buy one because of all the stories I have heard about old kits and the wood in them being very fragile. Since I heard the news that Campbells has been bought out by another person/company I've been waiting for them to release some new kits.

Thanks for the tips and pictures. I'll be following your progress closely.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a coincidence. I just got my February issue of MR, and the Campbell add featured Bret's Brewery. (I always scan the ads first.) Seeing it, I thought that it might be a kit that I would like to get. I will be following this thread carefully.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Thanks for starting this thread. I've never built a Campbell kit but I have a couple in my "to do" stack, so I plan to use some of your techniques when I get started.

George

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  12:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening Everyone,
Rick,
This kit is at leased 10 years old if not more. Everything was still sealed in the plastic bags. there are a few small fragile wall
sections.If you are careful I see no problems with buy these old kits.

Bruce,
I have not got the MR yet but will look for the ad when I get it.

Paul,
Where do I find Karl O's photo album.

Mike Mace

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  01:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening,
Here is tonights installment of Bret's Brewery.

One of the things that I have found on this kit and most others, is that I can stain the walls with the A/I or AMM/I without bracing
them. They will in most cases bow some but after the stain drys they go back to flat.

After bracing all the walls I found that the two end wall and center wall behind the water tank were not the same. The center walls was
to wide and that made the pitch off to.

All the bracing done.

The pencil points to the line that has to be cut off.

I decided to try the Detla Ceramcoat acrylic paint that I have been reading about on this forum on this project.I have never used this type of paint on a wooden kit before. I choose
Wild Rice for the main body of the building and
Autumn Brown for the trim.

I use a ponce wheel and a steel rule to do nail heads.

This is the start of painting the walls. I put a little bit of Wild Rice in a small tray. I dipped my brush in Polly Scale Airbrush thinner and went over the wall. Using thinned paint and full stenght paint. Doing each board one at a time.

Here is the same wall after the A/I wash and some chualk weathering.

Mike Mace

Edited by - mikethetrainman on 01/07/2005 01:20:46 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  07:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
It is a good thing that you picked up on the over-dimensions on that wall. How did you take that small slice off--saw, razor, file? That weathered wall looks very good.

Bruce

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  07:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike excellent progress photos they are the type that will probably help me with Houligans construction. The pounce wheel is it from Micro Mark? What size is it? I have a friend of mine making me a version of the MM magnetic tray to glue things sqaure and think I'll use it the same way you use your square.

To get to the photo album there is a section near the top of all the pages with a list of things,in the second line first item is the link, once you get there just enter Karl's name in the search box and it will take you to his page link. There are not to many others that have used that section to store pics, and there is no way to tell who did unless you go to each name and try. I have asked this question myself a while ago.Great photos in there and if you go Mario's website there are aton more of his work and several other great modelers as well. Good luck Pat

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  09:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to Karl's photo album. When you get there, click on "Main Album." Karl has dozens of photos posted there.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=1132

You are making excellent progress with your kit. Noticing the difference in wall sizes is one of those little things I would never have caught until it was too late.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  12:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
I used the Atlas razoz saw and a steel ruler.
It is the one that fits in their miter box the
short one.

Pat,
I have two of them both made by Vintage Reproductions one has 16 teeth and the other
has 10. They came in a set. I ordered them from Walthers a long time ago. I use the one with 16 teeth most of the time.

MikeC
Thanks for the link to Karl's photo album.
He Is one of the best modelers around. I first saw his work on the FSM group on Yahoo.
Checking sets of walls to make sure they are
all the same is something I learned the hard way.

Mike Mace

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  12:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Evening Everyone,
I am not using the instruction as I build this kit. I'm only using them to identify parts and building layout. For the most part I am doing things that I learned putting together FSM and other Craftsman kits.
After getting all the paint and A/I washes done it is time to start assembling the walls.
I always assemble them in set of two, one end wall and one side wall.

I then assemble both sections into the main building. After installing the upper track side wall and peaked center wall this is how it looked.

I wanted to make the platform where the water tank look worn with rotten and broken boards.
The water tank will be rotted out around the bottom, where it has leaked for years.So I put a long water stain down the side of the building below the tank.

The next step will be to install the first floor and foundation. AT this time I also installed the corner trim and a belt rail made of 4x6 at the bottom of the walls. The foundation, belt rail and corner trim were all painted with Autumn Brown.

Here is the building with the corner trim and the floor installed.

Mike Mace

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  08:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mike. Thanks for the update.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  08:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
That is really coming nice. That water stain is very convincing.

Bruce

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000