Railroad Line Forums - Building a Jordan Kit Part 3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Building a Jordan Kit Part 3
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brick Detail in “3-D printing” Topic Next Topic: More Expansion at the F&SM
Page: of 3

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  06:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Great job, Ken.

I don't think I have ever seen this kit before. Is it still available?

Paul

Cletus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  8:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cletus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This tutorial was great. I have had success after trying a couple models. One of the biggest diffculties I see is with the lack of good pictures with the Jordan models. In many cases, it is difficult to determine where to glue together certain parts based on the included pictures. In some cases this is most critical for parts to fit properly. One example would be the change Ken added about gluing the rear spring. While you would pick up on that as you put the model together, it is still great to know prior to. But then again, it isn't the first time instructions ere lacking.

Thanks Ken for filling the gaps in.

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  10:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can we ever see or have enouhg Jordan vehicles? Such little jewels. If it were not for Jordan vehicles, my 1920s era layout would have been an 1890's version.
Now I need to do another one with the hood open.
Great work guys!
Doug

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  4:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your right about the instructions Cletus, but after a few kits you won't need them anyways. Lots of the same parts are used for various kits and some need modification before they fit right for different vehicles. I'm looking forward to building about 30 vehicles for me diorama after the buildings are done. Have not built one in awhile.

But where would we be without these great kits? One can never have enough Jordans!

In memory of Mike Chambers

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  4:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I know this is a very old thread but I just found it (just became a member of this site) and it's going to be very helpful as I have a number of these kits to build. Let me start off by saying thanks for doing this tutorial, like I said, it's going to be very helpful.

One thing I did notice was the part about the rear leaf spring. On these cars the spring mounted to a perch on the frame just at the center of the spring usually by two U bolts that went over the bottom of the spring in the center with the ends going through four holes in the perch and held with nuts on top of the perch.
As a result I think the ends of the spring should not fit flush with the end of the spring slot, but should stand proud of the underside of the floor pan and connect to the ends of the wishbone.
In the last picture of your car, it looks as the rear is a little low, like the car is loaded heavily in the rear. It looks to me as if the is a difference in the gaps between the fenders and the tires from the front to the rear.

Now you know much more about building these cars then I do so I might be completely out to lunch here, but I thought I'd like share my opinion and if I'm right it would make installing the rear spring much simpler I think.

Scott

If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  8:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Scott,

I can agree with what you think, but if you would do it like you said the rear end would be way too high. Remember, a full size car would have enough weight to compress the rear leaf. These don't.

I like to build my vehicles with no rake, just even front to back.

Just my thoughts...

Ken

In memory of Mike Chambers

Edited by - Marken on 12/01/2018 8:40:11 PM

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Brick Detail in “3-D printing” Topic Next Topic: More Expansion at the F&SM  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000