Railroad Line Forums - Screen Door anyone? HO scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 170 ]  [ Total: 171 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Screen Door anyone? HO scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: FSM Kit #35 Two Stall Engine House
Page: of 2

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  12:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Contemplating a screen door for a general store/ rural post office/ gas station

Any one ever made one? If so how? Not even a guess here.
The kind with an advertising door push.
Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  1:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Vector cut has some laser cut screen doors.
Though I think Dave at Vector cut has made his stuff available thru FOS scale models.
Here's what they look like, with the fine screen that comes with them.

If you can't order these screen doors from FOS I would be more than happy to send you one of my doors that I have with some screen as well, just send me a PM with you address, and I will send you one of the styles that you like.

Here's how one of the screen doors that I used from Vector cut looked on my farmhouse

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 04/02/2021 2:15:43 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  1:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try a thin door frame with "screen" from a piece of discarded black or grey sheer women's hose sandwiched in between the inside and outside frame. Glue the other frame on and paint....

And please let us know if this approach actually works! I've seen it mentioned, and haven't tried it yet.

Pete
in Michigan

Rail and Tie
Section Hand

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  1:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rail and Tie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the screen, you can use silk screen mesh.

It is very fine and paintable if needed.

Search amazon for "silk screen mesh".

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  1:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made these removable window screens using styrene strip and material from a holiday package ribbon:

I assembled the frame atop the ribbon material. When I wetted the joints with MEK, that also bonded the ribbon material to the frame.

[edit] The holiday ribbon looked a lot like that provided by Vector Cut/FOS.

James

Edited by - jbvb on 04/02/2021 1:51:31 PM

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  2:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Google search for HO storm doors comes up with some
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  2:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a screen door in one of my structures that everyone who saw it thought it had very fine
screen in it. It didn't.

I used a piece of clear styrene cut to fit the door frame but before I glued it together I took
a piece of fine sandpaper and lightly scratched the plastic at about a 45 degree angle. Then I
did the same at 45 degrees the other way (90 degrees to the first scratches). You have to
go very lightly with this.

It looks more real than any oversized screening.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  4:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Greg shows, I use a ribbon you get from Michaels store or Joanne Fabrics.
This one is a silver gray color, but you can get black as well. This is what I use for all my windows and door screens.
It is called "Offray 2.25"x9' Quest Sheers Wired Edge Ribbon". You just cut the size you need from in-between the wired edges.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  5:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I'm facing the exactly the same situation. Part of my layout is set in late summer. There is a general store/Post Office/gas station with both doors wide open to let out the heat,unfortunately it lets in flies and other bugs.

I want a pair of thin screen doors that I can position closed or open or in between. Like you, I want doors with an ad on the push bar across the door, probably for some brand of bread.

The two styles of doors on the right in Greg's post look the most like what I imagine, adding a pressed metal bread sign across the center bar. But I don't think either will fit in the front opening.

One option would be to cut a frame out of scale 1" styrene sheet and glue a fine mesh across the back, though I haven't figured out how to hide the edge of the screen if one of the screen doors is open and seen on edge.

Rail and Tie's suggestion of using silk screen mesh is a good one. You can probably get scraps for free from a local screen printer and some meshes are really fine.

So is Bob's suggestion of gently sanding thin clear styrene in two different directions, 90 degrees apart. That can look very good even in HO and would add some strength to an otherwise very thin door.

I have also had good luck using the fine mesh (Nylon?) that some tea bags are made of. I have found that different brands of tea have meshes of quite different fineness. On the left edge of the photo you can see the blue screen door on the coal company's office. The door is from some old Model Power kit. The screen is teabag mesh. Since adding that screen I found an even fine mesh teabag, but the one in place looks ok.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 04/02/2021 5:40:13 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  8:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Portable CP station that I just completed a couple months ago came with a screen door:

The screen material was white tule or fine fabric mesh (I suspect you can find it in Michaels or Hobby Lobby) That was cut to size and sandwiched between the two door parts.

The finished product looks pretty convincing to me.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  9:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for these fine suggestions, gee, now Iíll have to see what I can conjure up.

Thanks again...

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  9:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Try a thin door frame with "screen" from a piece of discarded black or grey sheer women's hose sandwiched in between the inside and outside frame. Glue the other frame on and paint....

And please let us know if this approach actually works! I've seen it mentioned, and haven't tried it yet.

Pete
in Michigan

Yes.

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/02/2021 9:24:05 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  12:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Karl, Vector cut has some laser cut screen doors.
Though I think Dave at Vector cut has made his stuff available thru FOS scale models.
Here's what they look like, with the fine screen that comes with them.

If you can't order these screen doors from FOS I would be more than happy to send you one of my doors that I have with some screen as well, just send me a PM with you address, and I will send you one of the styles that you like.

Here's how one of the screen doors that I used from Vector cut looked on my farmhouse

Greg

Greg, Is VECTOR CUT back in business? His website is blank. I was looking for hinges 2 years ago from him.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 04/03/2021 01:04:20 AM

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  09:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, it doesn't look like it.
I even went too FOS to see if I could find his products but could not find anything from him.
It's really to bad, he offered some great products!
Sorry to get your hopes up.

Greg

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  1:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I am not at home now to upload a picture, but if you need one, let me know.

There was a LASERkit by American Model Builders, - Screen Doors and Windows No. 311 ( for Kit #123 Corydon Gen. Store )
I have one and can download the picture later if you need it.

Rich

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  2:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich;

Love to see it, thanks.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: FSM Kit #35 Two Stall Engine House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000