Railroad Line Forums - Thursday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 181 ]  [ Total: 185 ]  [ Newest Member: mike mientus ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Thursday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: At last!! Topic Next Topic: Its Friday, April 2?  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all from 39f cloudy, windy, N.E. Indiana. The Lioness is wagging her tail at us. Better weather heading this way. The coffee urn is Ready with Dispatcher's blend today. The special is a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel. Other beverages, and the oatmeal pot at the end of the line.

Well everything came out good at the 'operation' yesterday. About 5 weeks ago my left arm started bugging me a few days after an episode with driveway ice or maybe shoveling the snow. I don't know which. A few days later, the arm swelled up from the shoulder to the wrist about twice normal size, and other than looking like a had a arm that looked like a leg. I went to my old quack doctor. "you got bursitis, pack it ice, 5-6 times a day. After a few more days, the swelling started to subside. But then it started to hurt more than the swelling caused. I called him back up asking how long should this go on. "Maybe 5-6 months". Exit quack doctor! That's when I went to the Ortho guy, and they took x-rays of the arm, and no break, no bone chip (which I thought had happened on the ice.) He said he wanted to let it continue to go back to a more normal size, and come back in 2 weeks. So I did, but then a rather large ump stated to show as the swelling went down, and the arm was in a soft cast. So Monday the MRI took place. Yesterday a cyst/tumor about 4" long was removed from about the tip of the elbow into my forearm.
I watched as it looked like a scene from 'ALIEN' This morning arm is just about back to normal size, minor pain, benign results. Weird!
Maybe I can get back to thinking about modeling.

New doctor is originally from Salt Lake City and probably 35 years old. Nice kid.

Have a Super day! That is on my agenda!

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  09:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for opening, Jim. Hopefully you will now finally be on the road to full recovery.

Winter poked it head back into S.E. Michigan last night. We are at 27 degrees and have a light coating of snow on the deck. We will stay near the freezing mark today.

I played around with oil based washes for the engine house project yesterday. Today I will stain all the wood needed for the build.

Jim, I heard a snippet on the radio that said "Medical Mistakes are now the #3 killer in the U.S." Not sure I believe that, but I do believe that our well-being is in our own hands. Good on you for moving to a new doctor.

Up until we got married, I went to a doctor who had been a medic in WW II. After he retired and we were married, I went to Bonnie's doc who had also been a WWII medic. Between the two of them, there was not much that they hadn't seen of what a person could do to their bodies both inside and out. I had confidence in them. My current doctor is right out of med school and looks like our oldest grandson. Great book knowledge. No life experience.

Have a great day!

Bruce

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  10:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from sunny but cool Wisconsin. Thanks for opening Jim and glad you are ok.

Jab #2 scheduled for 11am and I can’t wait.

Have a great day
TomO

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  10:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere about birthing your Alien from the wrong location!! Glad you're feeling better!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  10:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, all, good news, Jim. Last night's rain is just about done on the NH seacoast and it's time to get back to work.

James

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  10:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mornin' All!

Good news, Jim, good try, Dave (I saw the thread), and best wishes to the Anniversary folks with good wishes for many happy returns.

I think there is some kind of rude joke happening around me... woke up this morning to temp reading 14 in the yard, 24 at the airport, wind chill of 11, and white gifts from above all over. So much for having the roofers out to check the roof today.... The WWs are muttering about sixties this weekend, but I see what I see out there....

Maybe it's some kind of sign.... Bruce???

Make it a great day, All, and stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  10:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim and crew. It's a wet chilly day in Tidewater Virginia.

Hope you heal up OK, Jim. It has to be a relief to get your arm fixed. I like the idea of finding a doctor younger than me. At my age that's not difficult.

We just returned from a trip to Costco. I'm getting a haircut this afternoon. I think I'll find some workbench time after I'm done here.

Have a good day.
George

Fly Army

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  11:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning everyone

I read that article to Bruce. More people die because of medical mistakes than we realize.
But then again they don't broadcast it like they did with the virus!

Jim glad your arm is doing better.

Everyone have a great day!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  12:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Dad use to say "Doctor's bury their mistakes", I finally got after all these years.

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  12:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, crew. We’ve already been on the rail trail on this wintery day. Snow flurries in the air but that didn’t deter the regulars like us.

I’ll spend the afternoon on modeling and filling out forms for our lawyer; it’s past time for new wills.

Interesting story about the cyst, Jim. I hope that saga is over.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  1:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clouds, 28 and off and on snow squalls in middle of the palm of the mitten here in the early afternoon. Wind and cold yesterday, too. Seems the cold tolerance from Feb is totally gone.

‘Doctors” practice medicine and some never really get it right. My ex was a nurse that worked at a hospital that told of a Doc there that would make rounds, write orders for his patients and then within the hour invariably call and change at least half of them. The Doll had a doc that strung out the diagnosis of her daughter that was in severe condition, near comatose, that another doc took her aside and told her while he was great friend of her doc that he hadn’t know what was wrong but too stubborn to admit it, she should take her elsewhere..turns out doc at different hospital had just move from Texas and immediately recognized encephalitis symptoms and started treatment regimen that saved her life. Afterwards told the Doll how fortunate they were...she beat terrific odds. Original,doc had said she was just being a brat. Then there’s the flip flopping “genius” we’ve all come to know with all the answers currently.....FaceTime Tony...and our own Nurse Ratschitt...

Texted oldest son that went out West over the weekend, “get home ok?” “Yep”.....”good time?” “Very...” I think he got hitched while out there...I’ll probably find out for sure if I miss her birthday or something...3rd times the charm?

Time to find something to tinker with. 3D printer seems fubar. Big stockpile of scale wood, knife and glue...just need an idea.

Later, be well.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 04/01/2021 1:20:37 PM

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  1:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon Crew. Back from the second jab of the non government funded creation, the Pfizer product.

I loved my doctors in North Central Wisconsin via the Marshfield Clinic system. The last few years we have been closer now to home at UW Health and there is no shortage of too young doctors playing at practicing medicine. The reason they found last summers bout with Lyme diease is because I pushed for those tests, not the doctors. They may have been trained in one of the best medical universities but they know nothing about life and not everything is in those computers. Listen to the patient.

After a quick nap, I will be at the bench finishing weathering and reassembly of the trucks and wheel sets.

TomO

Jim, I stopped at Portillo’s and had the Italian Beef, dipped. Drive through was empty at 11:40am.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  1:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon folks

The temperature says it is 44 but it feels a lot colder. High is supposed to be 56. Tonight they are calling for a low of 30. I haven’t seen any Freeze Warnings for our area. I have seen some for North Jersey and central Delaware. We will probably bring the window boxes in to be safe.

Laid some track last night. I now have the two loops finished.

I should make a grocery store run sometime today.

I would like to start working on the Engine House if time allows it.

Speaking of doctors my former doctor I started seeing when I was 16. His office was close enough to our house I could walk there. I went to him until I was 50. It was great because we knew each other and developed a great trust over those years. I had to change when my insurance changed, and he was no longer on it. Since he was going to retire, he had been encouraging me to find a new doctor and this forced the issue. He retired about a year later. I started with my new doctor who was one of the doctors who covered for my old doctor. Again, he knew me, and I knew him. When my father-in-law needed a new doctor, I got him to see my doctor. When my FIL was bedridden in home the doctor would come to the house once every three months to check on him. All this reminds me I need to make my annual check-up appointment.

I hope everybody has a good day.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  2:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

My Dad use to say "Doctor's bury their mistakes", I finally got after all these years.

Architects copy each other's and call it "art" :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Previous Topic: At last!! Topic Next Topic: Its Friday, April 2?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000