Railroad Line Forums - Wiring for Building Lighting
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 183 ]  [ Total: 187 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 Wiring for Building Lighting
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Digitrax DCS150 failure  

jburch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  6:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not an expert with electronics but if I get some direction I can solder and make things happen. What I am looking for is interior and exterior lighting for an engine house I am building. I have both 3v led and 12v bulbs which can be mounted on the outside of the building. I also have 12v and 1.5v lights for the interior. I am trying to run four lights, 2 outside, 2 inside and I am looking for the warm glow of incandescent from the late 20s early 30s. I have a couple of wall warts that put out 6v. Can I run them all off of the power source and what is the best way to wire them up with a switch?

I hope there is enough info here and I am not asking too much

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  7:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would go with only one voltage. 12 volts DC is my preference as they are easily run off a cheap power pack.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  10:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a 'To Do' sitting on my workbench - a Walthers 12v street light that burned out its grain-of-wheat bulb. LEDs are picky about their voltage and current, but I expect those I've installed to have longer lifespans than me. Get the 'warm white' type from Miniatronics, Evan Designs or another vendor if you're inexperienced; they sell packages which run off 12V. Or buy in volume from an electronics distributor like DigiKey.

I run most of my LEDs off a 16 VAC buss around my layout. I put in a switch and bridge rectifier for each zone, then use either a resistor for single LEDs or a 'current limiting diode' for strings. I use JST 2.0 mm connectors so buildings can be removed (same type as Woodland Scenics' 'Just Plug' line). I've saved the Digi-Key part #s for stuff I've bought, but no guarantee they're still in production.

James

nortonw
Section Hand

Posted - 03/21/2021 :  01:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Burch,
The easiest method to get that warm look you are looking for is to run the 12V lights on the 6V wall wart. Running them at 1/2 voltage reduces the light output and gives the warm glow. Wire a single pole switch on either side of the power to the lights and you're good to go. Of course this assumes the 12V lights are incandescent and not LED's. If they are LED's, go with JBVB's suggestion.

Norton

The V & T lives in my garage (soon)

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/21/2021 :  09:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to this link, http://macrodyn.com/assets/files/MRH07/MRH-2010-May-Jun.pdf and go to page 119, maybe some of this structure lighting will help you.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Topic Next Topic: Digitrax DCS150 failure  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000