Railroad Line Forums - PGE stock car
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 183 ]  [ Total: 188 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 PGE stock car
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Building Gondola Cars Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread  

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  11:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was given this Proto2000 Mather stock car as a basket case a couple weeks ago

The original builder made a complete mess of the car, using Testors tube glue to assemble it, leaving some parts off and gluing some in the wrong place. I also found the car to be incredibly heavy. After some prying with an exacto-knife and a small screwdriver, I managed to get the roof, roofwalk and the doors off.

After that I found out why it was so heavy, 1 1/2 oz. of extra weight was glued inside. I guess it was added for better tracking? I also found that the original proto wheelsets were replaced with all plastic ones, probably the source of the poor tracking. They went into the garbage.

I scraped the glue off as best I could and started to replace/add the details. The original grab irons were MIA so I replaced the ladder grabs with some ladder stock, all other grabs were replaced with Tichy wire ones.

I removed the original lettering with a fiberglass brush. This is a pretty effective tool for this since the car sides are wood and the brush also scratched the wood sides a bit, adding some wood grain.
The original roof walk was pretty much unusable with large globs of glue on it. I replaced it with a spare resin casting from the parts box. I also noticed that some of the side boards were broken so I fixed those with some styrene strip. The original brake wheel and housing were badly damaged so I replaced those with tichy parts as well.

one of the last things I did before painting was to add the roofwalk end supports and check the coupler height. I used some metal wheelsets in the trucks and the car tracks perfectly now.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  08:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Thatís a different kind of kit building. You did a fine rescue.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  09:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, nice to see you pulling this car out of the scrap yard.

I assembled may plastic airplane, ship and automobile models with Testor's Tube Glue when I was a kid. It is easy to get glue showing at the joints with that product.

Bruce

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  10:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
G~,
Build, build, build! It's funny huh, when we come across a basket case and yet we still think- I can fix this, I can make this better and off we go~

I just love adding details to something that has few. What's wrong with us.

Look forward to see what's next brother!
Thanx Thom...

MarcusF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/19/2021 :  1:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! Nice recovery of someone else's attempt!
Re the weight, I don't know what the original weight of these cars was. The Walthers blurb for them said "correct weight", but not sure to what standard.
My experience with other Proto cars is they fall short of NMRA weight - for that car it should be about 3.5 oz. So maybe it weighs 2 oz stock? (no pun intended!)

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  2:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.
I built one of the Mather's right out of the box a few years ago. It was considerably more challenging than their auto boxcars or their 60' gondolas but if you take your time they come out okay.

Getting back to the build, I sprayed the current project in primer.

and because I used a fast drying primer I was abled to airbrush the acrylic paint and apply the dry transfers to it the next day.

Sorry for the blurry pic, I was in a hurry and used my cel phone's camera.
The dry transfers came from CDS. They were for a 36' stock car with the letterboards just under the roof but I adapted them to the mather car in a way I thought PGE would have lettered this car if it was theirs.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  7:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Turned out to be a fine looking car, Glen.

Will you have destinations for stock cars on your layout?

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  8:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stock cars got used for a lot of cargo that was weatherproof, such as bricks, tiles, pipes, even lumber. So if it's not time to run stock, the railroad could use them for other purposes...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  9:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice recovery, Glen. I built at least one P2K Mather stock car back when high-end kits were the thing. The one in my 'layout' fleet runs just fine with factory weight. I make sure I always have a usable tube of 'model airplane' cement on hand for joints which require a little filler to hold well. But it certainly is widely misused.

James

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  9:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job of constructive re-kitting the car and starting itís rehab. Probably parallel to some backwater RIP track shop.

Many of us might of not taken the project.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 03/20/2021 9:53:33 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2021 :  10:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I am working on a use for my stock cars on the new layout, I hope to finalize that part of the plan soon.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  12:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished off the stock car a couple weeks ago but forgot to post photos of the final result.

I decided to weather it a bit heavier than others to hide any defects that I couldn't absolve with my rebuild. I used the fiberglass brush to scratch the red oxide paint and decals back to show the gray primer showing back through on the wood parts, then I unleashed rust, dirt and grimey black with my airbrush.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  12:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job, Glen. The car looks like it's been in service for a while.

George

Fly Army

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  2:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice save!

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  3:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice save.
Looks much better now.

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  4:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,
I agree with all above, excellent save, great turnout result, a great addition to any layout!

You did again what I love to see happen, give new life into an older piece or model railroading history and make something into what it was originally intended. To be loved and run.

Look forward to seeing your next build brother!
Thanx Thom...

Previous Topic: Building Gondola Cars Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000