Railroad Line Forums - Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 207 ]  [ Total: 209 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks Topic Next Topic: Figure Source Review
Page: of 4

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  12:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"And there are A LOT more women."

True that!

I suspect it's like my wife. She far prefers my LnP steam addiction to my diesels. As for the diesels, her attitude is "meh".

BUT with my LnP stuff... it's "awwww! How cute!"

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/11/2021 12:44:26 PM

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  1:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it is okay if a Z scaler chimes in here?
I am modeling the period of 1890-1904. No motive power or rolling stock in Z scale,
and not many Z scalers doing it. It's a niche within a niche within a hobby.
I'm 57 and didn't know what TOC19 was. I am also learning about model railroading as I go.
There may be nothing to buy, but it's fun and a challenge to make it myself.
I am lucky this site exists though, because it covers my era.
Who knows, maybe there will be more like me getting into model railroading.

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 03/11/2021 1:07:41 PM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  1:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replies...

Scott:

Z scale??? Oh you brave, brave boy.

All:

Well, as for as interest in LnP era modeling in view of the age of modelers: There were NONE of us currently modeling the era that was on hand to see it personally. Not one. YET, here we are very interested in it for a variety of reasons, and modeling it.

I suspect there are elements of TOC19 span of time that attracts certain types of modelers. I suspect that will continue to be the case. Of course, will likely TOC19 modelers will go downward, after all, the demographics indicate the trend is downward for all of model railroading.

However, that has to be elements about TOC19 does seem to appeal to modelers... 'cause none of us were on hand to see it!

Andre

Uncle Pancakes
New Hire

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  2:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've loved 19th Century railroading since I was a kid, I'm 57 and early technology always appealed to me. I remember the first time I ever saw one of the Rivarossi O gauge 4-4-0s as a kid in a train shop, I was just drooling over it. I had the HO versions of the Genoa, Reno, plus the Bowker, a few Mantua Generals etc. Now that I've jumped back into the scale side of the hobby I'm doing it in O gauge and have hoarded around 18 of the Rivarossi Genoa and Reno locos, both built up and in kit form plus a couple of Silver Streak C.P. Huntingtons and Rivarossi "Casey Jones" 4-6-0 as well. Let the kit bashing begin (hopefully).

Wish I could have afforded at least one of the beautiful engines SRM made a few years ago, I'm just happy I've been able to stock up on his wood beam trucks while I can. I've got a stack of BTS car kits to get to work on too as those 4-4-0s need something to haul. I'm actually really impressed by how much early era stuff is now available in fact it seems to be better than it was 30+ years ago. The only doom I've seen lately is to my bank balance! Keep the great photos and ideas coming on this forum, you guys are inspiring me to really get started up again.

Ted

"there is nothing in it but cornstalks and beanpoles" A. Lincoln

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  3:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted:

You're lend credulity to what I suspect: TOC19 modeling can be appealing to those younger in years than us retired "lifer" model railroaders.

Ah yes, SRM. They did indeed make beautiful stuff.

(I hear'ya loud and clear on the bank account thing!!)

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  8:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Along this line, one of the people I like to watch on YouTube, DYI and Digital Railroad, in his latest Video stated his opinion that model railroading is having a renaissance. He credits the internet in general and Youtube in particular. He says he's getting lots of questions from beginners. Like; What scale should they use?

Bob

It's only make-believe

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  09:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TLTWNIMA
The
Last
Thing
We
Need
Is
More
Acronyms

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  11:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson:

Indeed!

Good one.

Andre

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  9:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Just wow. Can anybody explain what I just witnessed??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-HOn3-63-Gallows-Turntable-a-wood-cast-metal-kit-by-The-Cliff-Line/393173366557?hash=item5b8af5771d:g:iiMAAOSwf-5gQmzR&autorefresh=true

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  10:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't. I'm stocked. It's a first class kit that builds a highly detailed model but only for the table. I'm glad I don't need one. If I did I would scratch it. But Thanks for sharing the link! On the bottom was an add for a excellent High lead Logging Donkey! A steel at $22!

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  10:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

I was, too. I have two locations I would like wooden 55' turntables, A-frame or Gallows, or one of each.

In my dateless past I had picked up a Mil-Scale gallows kit that I purchased new for something like $7.95. When I started surfing eBay looking for something similar, I found that auction. It was already at $30 and I thought that ridiculous. Out of curiosity I bookmarked the auction and checked on it every now and then. Couldn't believe it when it hit $130... and was flabbergast when it sold for $154.49!!

Like you, when the time comes, I reckon I'll have to scratch mine using dimensional wood and phone jacks for electrical pivots.

Donkey:

Glad I could be of service!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/13/2021 10:46:15 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  11:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, IIRC the Mil-Scale kit was just wood, no N/B casting, no templates, IMHO not worth $8. The cliff line, a whole another ballgame. In today's money they are worth $60.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  07:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Understood. Though to me $60 for a table that originally cost $3.95? It is what it is, I reckon.

NBW's: I have oodles and scads of NBW's from Sn3 that I've never used.

Andre

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  9:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got rinky-dinked.

Purchased these a week or so ago:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mantua-Tyco-HO-Brass-Parts-4-4-0-General-Sand-Dome-6512/203015714174?hash=item2f44adf57e:g:oUEAAOSwHiBe0wpe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mantua-Tyco-HO-Brass-Parts-4-4-0-General-Sand-Dome-Red-Band-6512/193506491488?hash=item2d0de2bc60:g:wlkAAOSwMThe0wqK

Note they are advertised as HO scale.

Well I received them a few days ago and no way these are HO scale. More like N scale. Here they are sitting beside the domes on this Athearn/Genesis (MDC) 2-8-0:

I don't know what I could have done differently. Just didn't know this variation existed.

Oh well.

EDIT: Now that I know these exist, I've searched and it appears these are the sand domes for the Mantua "General". NOW I learn that!

Knowledge is power. (And saves you from wasting money!)

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/14/2021 10:00:10 PM

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  09:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
When I was restoring an old car, I made the same mistake a few times
until I had done enough research and learned the hard way.
I guess that is why experience is valuable.
Love that 2-8-0. I am modeling one up in Z. It is a Baldwin, 1890, 20x24 cyl, 50" drivers.

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 03/15/2021 09:34:29 AM

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks Topic Next Topic: Figure Source Review  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000