Railroad Line Forums - Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 186 ]  [ Total: 191 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Figure Source Review
Page: of 4

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  2:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So it seems most forums routinely talk about how the outlook is bleak for model railroading in general

And of course, we're (us TOC19'ers) are continually this death watch applies to our "TOC19 niche" in particular.

In fact, thus saith the prophets, that all of model-dom is aging out, and us TOC19'ers are dying off and our market is shrinking and there's doom on the horizon and the sky is falling, and...

Hm.

Been checkin' eBay lately?

Almost any TOC19 item of any quality is going for some pretty hefty prices.

Case in point: As a luxury, I designed-in two small arm strong turntables in the 55' range on my proposed Colorado & Pacific small layout. In my mind I remember wood kits depicting A-frame and gallows, tables. I think in the dateless past I picked them up NEW for something like $7.50 or so.

This morning I happened to think to check eBay for some turntables.

I found one! Yup, an old Cliff Line 63' gallows kit. No prob, I'll just trim it to 55' and the world will be my oyster. Only one more wood kit to go.

THEN I saw the bid: 3 days left in the auction and it's already up to $94 dollars!

I've also noticed that out-of-production craftsman type cars (Silver Crash/etc) go for some pretty big bucks.

SO... it looks to me like we're in fine shape in regards to DEMAND. There's still lots of us TOC19'ers vying for available product.

Seems the issue is SUPPLY.

Perhaps that's where the issue lies: The small company SUPPLIERS have aged out... not us.

There's still a BUNCH of us buyin' n' buildin'... but the suppliers seem to be aging out and even dying on us. (How dare they be so selfish as to just up and die? )

Interest in TOC19 in trouble?

Well, consider the following Facebook TOC19-type pages:

"Modeling pre-1895 steam locomotives, facilities & rolling stock": 1.3K members.

"Pre-1895 Railroad & Steam Engines": 10.2K members. Yup, that's TEN THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED members.

Anyway... looks to me like our niche is in pretty good shape with a bunch of active modelers.

In fact, appears to me the demand has outpaced the supply.

How deep are yer pockets?

Andre

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  2:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess if you donít know what TOC19 is youíre aging out, too...not so old to get riled at everything being initialized, and me with no decoder ring...

BTW, points well made. YMMV, IYKWIM, LOL,

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 03/10/2021 2:25:23 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  2:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I give up, what the heck is TOC19? Snoogle thinks it's a hand wound watch. You got some 'splaining to do Lucy!

Jim

Take the red pill

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  3:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turn Of the Century numbered 19 :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 03/10/2021 3:23:25 PM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  3:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry.

TOC19 is an acronym I concocted decades ago. It basically stands for what Dave said. "Turn Of (the 19th) Century".

Of course, is simply FYI and FWIW, but pretty much sums it up that us TOC19'ers are often SOL IYKWIM. ROTFLMAO!

Andre

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  4:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn! I was hoping that it stood for Turn Off COVID-19!

Greg

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  5:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good Greg.
Andre, I think you might have a point. I would point out that followers do not equal modelers. That being said, demand is greater than supply. I mourned when we lost Jordon. Added Wagons to my 3D to-do list but others have have now started offering wagons so they have slid to the bottom of the list. I do not understand why people spend so much for old craftsman car kits. Most are truly not Early Rail (my term for TOC19) but there are several suppliers of much better quality Early Rail cars for the same money. Passenger cars are another story still. There are a few available through Shapeways store but they aren't cheap or easy to build. Also; We really need an 1870's 10 wheeler in Bachmann NT Quality..

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  6:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg:

LOL! That was a good one! Little did I know some 20 years or so ago that my term TOC19 could stand for a virus we've all come to hate with intensity. (By the way, for years prior to Y2K I simply referred to it as TOC... then Y2K happened and it became relevant to distinguish WHICH century!)

Hi Bob:

I agree that the 10.2K subscribers in my post above are not all model railroaders by a long shot. However, I'm still shocked at the 10.2K figure for those that are apparently interested in TOC19 railroading! Amazing.

Agree as well in that I don't understand the clamor (and subsequent prices fetched) for "Old Time" Central Valley, Red Ball, etc, boxcars and the like. However, Silver Crash kits, and kits like that, rarely show up on the Bay, and when they do, they go for some impressive dollars.

Bachmann NT quality 4-6-0:

My kingdom for a nice 4-6-0!

I would like to have a couple or so on the C&P's roster. There's no painless way to have a decent 1870s-1880s 4-6-0. I've done a lot of chin scratchin' on how I could root n' gouge and cobble me together a 4-6-0, but it's not priority at this point. I have my hands full trying to upgrade my proposed roster so all engines on the layout will have NS drivers/wheelsets.

Couple things we know: There are indeed a meaningful number of TOC19 modelers "out there", and there is still quite a demand for product.

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  7:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

how I could root n' gouge and cobble me together a 4-6-0,
Andre

The cheapest way I can imagine it would to take a NT American and an old version American. Rather than trying join the frames together I wound make a new cover plate to hold the two segments square. Buy I to have other prioritie.

Bob

It's only make-believe

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  7:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or..... Take an 0-6-0 and extend the frame between the cylinders and the drivers. For example take the front frame from a 4-4-0 including the cylinders and attach it to an 0-6-0 frame cut behind the cylinders. That would avoid a splice in the middle of the running gear and keep the stock mechanism. Use a Mantua tender 0-6-0 for even spaced drivers or a Mantua 0-6-0T for unevenly spaced drivers. It would be a low driver 4-6-0. Perfect for mountainous areas.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Edited by - dave1905 on 03/10/2021 7:57:11 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  8:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good, better approach.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  09:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TLTWNIMA

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  10:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"TLTWNIMA"

That one has even Google stumped!

Translation?

Andre

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  10:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many young people do you see at the Train Swap Meets it's a bunch of old Farts.

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  11:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"How many young people do you see at the Train Swap Meets it's a bunch of old Farts."

Actually, I see more than you think on the FB link n' pin pages. Plus, quite a bit of presence from the generation right under us (still a ways to retirement), too.

That's one of the aspects that surprise me: Those less "seasoned" than I am (at 69 years old) are interested in link n' pin railroading, modeling or otherwise.

However, even though I'm sure us "old farts" comprise the bulk of LnP enthusiasts, we're certainly not afraid to open our wallets and dole out some impressive bucks for link n' pin toys. Thus my observation/opinion that the current supply is unable to meed the current demand.

No biggie. It becomes a simple question of "how bad do you want it?". If you want it bad enough, you'll spend the dollars for it. Otherwise, you'll do without or figure out how to improvise.

It's all good!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  11:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And there are A LOT more women.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Figure Source Review  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000