Railroad Line Forums - time for a laser
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 269 ]  [ Total: 272 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 time for a laser
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Seafood Restaurant Topic Next Topic: Showcase of SRMW Kits Built By Us
Page: of 2

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  11:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to buy a laser cutter. the one I'm thinking about is the Ortur master 2 20 watt,
anyone have any experience or thoughts on this cutter?

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
with only 20 watt even cutting 1/16 basswood will be slow. Anything harder will take a few passes at least. plus being open like that you will need eye protection from the laser beam.
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  1:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't be cutting any thing thicker than 1/16" possibly 1/8" basswood I expect to make multiple passes.

thanks, Vince

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  1:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does that laser use for a design program? Make sure you don't have unexpected additional software expenses to be able to run the laser...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  1:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I'll be using LIGHTBURN.

Vince

MarcusF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  5:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no experience with that cutter, but I've had a diode laser for a few years, and have had a lot of success with it. Most of them are the same, built around an Arduino-based controller board.

I would approach that "20W" with some skeptecism, as these little diode modules (especially at this price point) are really only good for about 7W, and even then maybe continuous. The higher-powered diodes also sometimes don't produce a round spot, so you wind up (even with the best of focusing) with a kerf that's wider in one direction than the other.

I've found making a spoils table by placing the work on some sort of honeycomb improves the cut, both speed and cleanliness. Adding an air assist will improve your cutting speed, and give you a cleaner cut as well.

For thicker material, you'll likely need to do multiple passes, and having a z-axis keeps the laser focused at the cutting depth. Without it, you wind up with a beveled kerf as the cut gets deeper but the focus point remains at the surface (assuming that's where you set it to begin with).
There's a good community at www.benboxlaser.us for these sorts of machines.

I haven't played with Lightburn, at the time I got mine, I found BenCutLaser and T2 were the best available for cutting and engraving, as the Benbox software that came with the lasers was, ahem, fiddly. ;) I'll have to check it out.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  5:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by on30vince

Dave, I'll be using LIGHTBURN.

Vince

Then make sure whatever you get works with that program.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  7:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I intend to get a better lens (G-8) for cutting, I feel the this will be a good start for me, I can always step up to a 30 watt or 40 watt head later on. Vince

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  7:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I intend to get a better lens (G-8) for cutting, I feel the this will be a good start for me, I can always step up to a 30 watt or 40 watt head later on.

MarcusF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  08:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't speak to the G8, but I did find a 3-element lens provided cleaner cuts than the single-element that came with the laser.
Is that one focusable? Some of the higher-powered modules are fixed-focus.

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  09:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is focusable.

Vince

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  5:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never seen you Post Any of your modeling on this Forum at all? So just wondering what you would use the laser for?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  12:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I need to get my laser out of its delivery box, it's been sitting unopened in the spare bedroom for 2 years,
I got a 40W with several upgrades from the the basics for the, lens, head, cooling, air assist, x,y,z bed, etc...
I really should get that thing out and set it up to play with sometime soon, now I'm doing some modeling again.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/25/2021 12:09:48 AM

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  2:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go for it Karl.

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  5:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On30, Is your Train Buddie Audie chipping in on the cost and going to use it to?

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  07:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

I need to get my laser out of its delivery box, it's been sitting unopened in the spare bedroom for 2 years,
I got a 40W with several upgrades from the the basics for the, lens, head, cooling, air assist, x,y,z bed, etc...
I really should get that thing out and set it up to play with sometime soon, now I'm doing some modeling again.

Karl.A

Well you don't want to rush into those things you know!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Seafood Restaurant Topic Next Topic: Showcase of SRMW Kits Built By Us  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000