Railroad Line Forums - Monday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 237 ]  [ Total: 241 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Monday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tuesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Sunday morning lounge  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  06:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all from 34f and light rain in N.E.Indiana. The coffee urn is READY with Getoffyerduff blend as we start a new week. The special is Luftwaffles and sausage patties.Crispy bacon too if you want to switch. The oatmeal pot and other drinks at the end of the line. A box of oranges showed up early this morning as I was opening up the door.

It looks like I might finally get the parts I need to continue on the challenge project today. Although I have zero confidence in the postalservice.

I horsed around with the CAD program yesterday trying to do some parts that I hadn't succeded in drawing before. Guess what, I still haven't succeeded in getting them the way I want.

If the rain picks up today, there will be a lot of water to monitor as the foot of ice around here is melting as well. Maybe some bench time later.

Have a Super day!

Jim
Take the red pill

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  07:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Morning Jim and incoming crew. 29 degrees, windy and some snow here this morning.

Wife and I are heading out for a quick run to pay some bills and the bank. Then its back home and some modeling or getting rid of stuff I've been tripping over for the last several years. You know the stuff, haven't used it, don't think you need until the day after you throw it out.

Speaking of getting items delivered. Still waiting for my new computer and track ball. The monitor came in but the computer and track ball are stuck in Chicago. It should have been here last week. Weather and vax supplies are on the trucking companies top problems right now.

Some much for complaining.

Have a great day everybody.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  08:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim, Bernd and the rest of the crew. It is 34 degrees and snowing here in S.E. Michigan. However, it does seem that we will be getting high temperatures above freezing all week, so the melting will indeed begin.

Bonnie and I are signed up to get our first Vaccine shot this coming Friday. Yea! (We hope).

I worked a bit on the Campbell Sand House yesterday. I might actually be able to glue some parts together later today.

Have a great day!

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim, Bernd and crew. We're going to se temps in the 50's, but the rain has returned after two days of sunshine. Tidewater Virginia is having a record rainfall for February.

I'm still messing with magnetic uncoupling. Unlike your frustrations, Jim, I feel like things are going well.

Have a good day.
George

Fly Army

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  08:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, crew. I woke up to the sound of rain so I guess it’s above freezing here in northern West Virginia.

Our division had its second monthly zoom meeting and it was a success. One member did a clinic on his O scale layout. At one point I counted 25 attendees; pre-pandemic counts were generally around forty. We lost a couple of regulars over the past year and accounting for those of us who can absentmindedly miss online meetings I feel we’re doing well.

More ballasting in store for today. Not sure we’ll get a break in the rain. It’s funny: walking in flurries or light snow is not bad but even light rain is just miserable in the cold.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning folks

It is 30 heading up to 37. They say there will be snow, rain, sleet, and who knows what else.

I had another good day yesterday. I finished the framework for the layout widening. After some clean up it will be time to start laying pink foam.

I need to run to the produce store and the grocery store. I should also hit the hardware store. I need to get more wood screws. After the layout work, I am down to my last six screws. I like to buy the big pack and Home Depot did not have them the other day.

I hope everybody has a good day.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  09:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
30s and wintry mix in the Southern Command. Overnight what started as snow left us a couple of inches before the “warmup” first time above freezing in over 2 weeks. What was right shiny pretty looking snow yesterday will turn into dark and ugly glop and slush, certain to hang like RR brake shoes off the useless but oh so cool step boards on the Tacoma. Can “sugaring” season be far off? (maple sap tapping and syrup cooking)

The Doll is off to the antique store and I have a hearing check today.

Everyone be well, dry and safe.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

potsy
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  09:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and crew me and SIL worked on my layout. We decided to redo all the wiring there were to what's that for and why doesn't that work.He has helped me a lot his work is electrical Also gets a lot of electric accessories from his work. I started to tear out wiring this morning. It's 39 we had rain overnight here SE Ohio

Stay safe

Mark

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  11:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from Wisconsin where the 4 to 8” of white stuff showed up Sunday maybe 4.5 hours late. It was wet and heavy but after 1 3/4 hours this morning my drive is clean and the garbage and recycling bins would be considered at the curb if we had curbs. The SIL is in Jim’s territory in Warsaw for a few days. His last consulting client. 2 of the snow crew went to Texas to bring back family as the apartment they were in had broken water pipes due to the Texas event last week. They were told it would be months by the landlord before repairs would be made. The stables snow should be cleared as should the greenhouses that are gearing up for the seasons. I will go double check to be sure.

No school Mondays started 2 weeks ago so the grandkids, a few+ neighbor kids daughters neighborhood are in the pool so I am not on life guard duty today. There are 4 adults with the daughter in attendance. I knew the neighbors were coming but I did not realize I gave the daughter this morning off. The grandkids have in school sessions on Tuesday and Thursdays and online at home sessions Wednesday and Fridays. Give the teachers the F-ing shots and get the kids back full time. How hard is that? They are talking of extending the school year to Mid July for the lower grades. Again about 1/2 say great and the other 1/2 say no way.

I guess last week we had a snowshoer fall into one of the creeks on the property. As I was doing the driveway this morning I got served as he is taking legal action against us. I called the sheriff this morning and asked if they will arrest him fo trespassing since the whole property is fenced and there are no trespassing signs up all over.

Trains, I have 2 shells in 91% isop for stripping since 5” this morning. Time I start doing my free lance scheme on some locomotives

Tom

Edited by - tloc on 02/22/2021 11:09:15 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  11:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mornin' All!

The grey blanket is back in place after an early attempt to sneak away, but the temps here in the northern mitten are pushing northward and should be above freezing during the day for most of the next couple of weeks. I'm OK with that, and am well aware that the thaw, with the chill at night, means ice and black ice on the roads, so be careful out there!

Luftwaffles and sausage patties sound wonderful, Jim. I'm in. Thanks!

I've made some major Admin progress over the last two weeks, and may actually be able to visit the hidden and not-yet-announced Banganoggin River Bridge Challenge installation on the railroad this week. Looking forward to that! And the tax man is waiting in the wings, so that needs attention, too, but I have hope.

Make it a great day, All, and stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  12:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent over an hour this morning sorting out a problem on my switching layout. I had a locomotive that was picking a switch when it backed through it. I haven't been having problems with the switch, but it was probably the first time this loco had backed through this switch. After watching it back through, filing the points, watching it back again, more filing, I finally checked the gauge of the wheels. Darn if the rear wheel set on the rear truck was out of gauge – too narrow. I brought the wheels back into gauge and now the loco goes through the switch as nice as can be. I probably have more mileage on this locomotive than any other in my roster. I've never had this problem on the club layout. I guess my hand laid track is more demanding on my equipment.

George

Fly Army

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  12:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

I spent over an hour this morning sorting out a problem on my switching layout. I had a locomotive that was picking a switch when it backed through it. I haven't been having problems with the switch, but it was probably the first time this loco had backed through this switch. After watching it back through, filing the points, watching it back again, more filing, I finally checked the gauge of the wheels. Darn if the rear wheel set on the rear truck was out of gauge – too narrow. I brought the wheels back into gauge and now the loco goes through the switch as nice as can be. I probably have more mileage on this locomotive than any other in my roster. I've never had this problem on the club layout. I guess my hand laid track is more demanding on my equipment.

George

Nice catch, George!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  12:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, all. The NH seacoast is in the mid 30s and cloudy bright, but with wintry mix due afternoon and evening. Not much, though, maybe 1" solid come Tuesday. Tom, I'm surprised at the snowshoer's gall. In NH the law has long been that if someone is on your property for recreation and you aren't charging them, they're absolutely on their own regarding liability. This helps the state stay as open as it is. I forbid powered vehicles everywhere and hunting where it would otherwise be too crowded, but that's it.

I will go back to my cutting and soldering after lunch. My DNA is surely embedded in this project and the little lacerations on my finger and thumb tips illustrate how it got there.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  1:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Non-modeling this morning, fasting blood test followed by McBreakfast. Then bill-paying, and a trip to the Post Office to mail a USB thumb drive to a friend with a lousy internet connection. Back to the basement for some more orogeny...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  8:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Good morning, all. The NH seacoast is in the mid 30s and cloudy bright, but with wintry mix due afternoon and evening. Not much, though, maybe 1" solid come Tuesday. Tom, I'm surprised at the snowshoer's gall. In NH the law has long been that if someone is on your property for recreation and you aren't charging them, they're absolutely on their own regarding liability. This helps the state stay as open as it is. I forbid powered vehicles everywhere and hunting where it would otherwise be too crowded, but that's it.

I will go back to my cutting and soldering after lunch. My DNA is surely embedded in this project and the little lacerations on my finger and thumb tips illustrate how it got there.

Gall and ignorance is prevalent in this county (Dane). When we were living in North Central Wisconsin we owned 100 acres MOL, mom had 200 and the brother 50 all together. From 1976 to 2014 we never found trespassers. The hunters weeks before a hunt would knock on the door for permission to hunt. Same with cross country skiers or for harvesting firewood. They understood trespassing signs.

Here, forget it. We have a steel 6’ fence of over 2000’ with the balance of the property over 1000 acres fenced in 2 strings of barb wire. It means nothing. We have had duck hunters climb fences or cut locks, deer hunters cut barb wire. A local snowmobile club when we 1st got here we’re trying to put bridges on the waterways on our property. We purchased a bankrupt property that was not watched for 7-9 years. The property was originally fenced by us not to keep folks out but the horses in. Funny about the snowshoer. I am not the legal landowner. One of our businesses is so the attorney will have the case tossed. The snowshoer was asked to report to the sheriffs office by Friday is what an email to the Attorney said from the sheriff.

Except for hunting deer with guns we would give permissions most of the time. But no snowmobiles.

TomO

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  9:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw this sign in a hardware store in Northern Wisconsin a few years ago.
"No Trespassing- Trespassers Will Be Shot, Survivors Will be Shot Again"

Good luck with your trespasser Tom.

Mark B.

Previous Topic: Tuesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Sunday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000