Railroad Line Forums - Campbell Sand House: Challenge Project #3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 265 ]  [ Total: 267 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Campbell Sand House: Challenge Project #3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos Topic Next Topic: Seafood Restaurant
Page: of 4

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  09:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Nice job on those dowels!

Thanks, Jerry.

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  10:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Too bad there wasn’t also a pile of bricks.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  11:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bruce,

... so a wood shake roof makes sense, particularly on such a lowly structure.

Mike

Mike, I am indeed going to use the Campbell shingles. But as far as putting a slate roof on lowly structures, I took this picture of an outhouse in Bangor, PA (heart of the PA slate belt). Unfortunately, the sun was shining brightly off the roof and I couldn't trespass to get closer, so this is the best that I could do.

BTW, there was a slate pit literally in their back yard, just beyond that tree line. Slate for the outhouse was probably laying around for the taking.

Slate shingles on an outhouse! Obviously an upscale neighborhood.

Nice results from your work on the dowels.

George

Fly Army

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  11:13:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Too bad there wasn’t also a pile of bricks.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  11:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Nice results from your work on the dowels.

George

Thanks, George.

Bruce

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  04:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, you're off to a great start on yet another structure. No idles hands for you.

Shame about the missing parts, but as others have said, you'll work it out. Besides, where's the fun if there's no challenge, to building the kit.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  08:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Shame about the missing parts, but as others have said, you'll work it out. Besides, where's the fun if there's no challenge, to building the kit.

Somehow, Rob, I seem to be able to introduce those challenges on my own, even if all the kit parts are there.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  5:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three of the walls together. I've added a base and rail sections at internal braces. These were not included with the kit, but were mentioned as 'you could do' in the instructions.

I don't want to fill the bin with sand, rather shape a base to the contour that I want and then just add a thin layer of sand to the top. I would usually use pink foam for this, but my scrap pieces did not make the move from New Jersey to Michigan. So I reached for a block of Balsa wood.

The nice thing about Balsa is that it carves easily. Here I've just about got the shape where I want it. (The two front panels of the Bin are just sitting there. I won't glue them in place until I'm done with the sand pile.

Next, to finish the contour and to fill in those holes around the rail sections, I reached for my Tupperware container of Ground Goop. I haven't opened it since last February when I used it to shape coal piles for my coaling station build. Still perfectly viable. No stirring or adding water needed.

To better hold the layer of sand, I spread a thin layer of diluted white glue over the Goop.

Here the sand is sprinkled on the glue. Now waiting for all to dry before the next step.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  6:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another use for your Ground Goop. Looks good.

George

Fly Army

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  6:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On my way by your shop I saw this project in progress and thought I stop and take a closer look.

Looking good Bruce. This'll be a source of info for when I do my Campbell's sand house. Also have he water tank and coal tower.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  6:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Bruce. I like the rails for inside bracing. I would not have thought of using balsa for the base of the sand.

Chuck

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  8:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Bruce is that Jersey sand from the shore?

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  9:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent work on the bin, enhancements and all.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  08:29:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is 'something about a sandpile' that brings recollections of simpler times. Nice job!

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  08:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, George, Bernd, Chuck, Jerry, Mike & Jim.

Jerry, I do have some Atlantic City sand in a plastic bag, but this sand came with the kit.

George, because the Goop lasts so long when covered properly, it is easy to grab the container and use it for small projects like this.

I have now stained all the wood for the rest of the project, so I will start working on the drying house today.

Bruce

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos Topic Next Topic: Seafood Restaurant  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000