Railroad Line Forums - Tichy Price Increase
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 234 ]  [ Total: 240 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Tichy Price Increase
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rix Vickys Fashions as background building Topic Next Topic: Thanks Louis for your Climax kit bash tutorial.  

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  11:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently received an e-mail informing me that Tichy will be increasing prices as of March 1st. Their coaling tower goes from $130 (retail) to $170. Other parts and kits will increase by 50%. So if you need Tichy Train items, now is the time to buy before prices go up. Take car....John

GULF COAST & WESTERN

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  08:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I received the same email, John. It's a good thing that I had bought a kit and stocked up on parts before the price increase.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Don's email:

We have just run 200 sets of the main body panels, base and accessory buildings for our coaling tower kit #7010. Due to the very significant cost of assembling these molds and running them, we are forced to increase the price of this kit to $170 from $135 effective March 1st. This is the first price change on this kit since 1993 when we introduced it. If you ever wanted to get one, now is the time to buy it. For those of you unfamiliar with this kit here is a link to the webpage.
Kit 7010

Finally, we will be increasing the price of all NBW and rivet packs from $3.00 to $3.50 effective March 1st due to the cost of labor and processing on these parts. Again, we have never changed the pricing on these items since the first ones were introduced over 20 years ago. We will be re-evaluating many of our prices over the next several months as we are seeing significant price increases in many of our raw materials, the worst one being a 50% increase in the cost of our kit boxes as well as a doubling of the lead time.

Note Don talks about "50% increase in cost of boxes", not "50% increase in the parts we produce." The small parts packs are going up 15%.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Prices on almost everything are going upward and skyward. I previously owned AIM Products and do have some insight into this. I often received minimal price increases from various suppliers but in the interest of being competitive and not rocking anybody's boat I would absorb them. As a manufacturer that is at the mercy of suppliers of raw materials, packaging supplies, shipping costs etc. you can quickly find yourself in a hole. I made it a point to do at least a once a year audit of expense increases and would pass that along to the buyer. It must be done or you'll soon find yourself out of business.

Don from Tichy is just passing along his cost increases and I'll bet that the higher prices he's told us about really won't put that much more money in his pocket. I believe there will be many more such increases from the model manufacturers both large and small. It's the new normal, so support your local hobby stores whenever you can, try to buy as much as practical from the "mom and pop" operations and we all will survive.

p.s. Just check the price of gasoline. Ours went up 4 times last week and I'll bet it will go up again real soon.

Mark B

Railrunner130
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  09:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As Mark stated, my business (Conowingo Models) has been able to absorb most of the price increases without having to pass it along. A few cents here and there aren't going to break the bank. I did stock up on Tichy items, but eventually that's going to be exhausted and a price increase will be necessary.

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  3:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave for posting the entire e-mail message. Don Tichy produces nice products and I think it is great they are still produced in the USA. As stated by others, I am afraid we are not only going to see price increases in petroleum and petroleum related items, our entire costs of living are going to rise. And I do believe we all know where the blame now lies. If someone is living on a retirement income, even the purchase of model trains will require a second thought and serious consideration. Some passenger cars and even boxcars are out of my budget. New Athearn diesel locos are going up in price. As I work on my train room and starting bench work, the price of lumber has made an impact on my budget. I hang on to all scraps of lumber now. My best to all of those in our hobby.

GULF COAST & WESTERN

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  4:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don frequently runs sales, it's worth getting on his mailing list.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 02/21/2021 5:22:16 PM

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  8:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave

I have been putting off a large window purchase, now I guess is the time.

I added new benchwork to the 40’ I kept from the old layout. I just added another 120’ of new cut from 1/2” 4x8 plywood. Just crazy crazy how much I spent but the guys at HD said they can’t get lumber and plywood in quick enough.

TomO

Previous Topic: Rix Vickys Fashions as background building Topic Next Topic: Thanks Louis for your Climax kit bash tutorial.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000