Railroad Line Forums - Wednesday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 224 ]  [ Total: 228 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Wednesday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thursday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Tuesday morning lounge  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all from -1f and freezing fog in N.E Indiana. The coffee urn is READY with Fireman blend this morning. The special is Biscuits and gravy, bacon on the side. Oatmeal and other beverages at the end of the line.

Well yesterday was pretty much spent outside, contending with the snowstorm aftermath. A couple of spots along the driveway were about 3 feet. There was/is ice under all the snow and both the JD and the Ford got a workout, and so did the guy driving them.

None of the parts I ordered showed up, as the County declared a snow emergency limiting all traffic. Still, as I was plowing up near the road I watched the idiotic drivers who ignored the conditions fly by at 60+ mph. When they end up in a ditch, they blame 'the snow'.

This morning we'll reload the empty freezer, and that will be done for 2 years. Sure was handy during the early days of the Wuhan flu when panic buying at the supermarkets was happening.

Some bench time is planned for this afternoon.

I hope our friends down in Texas are coping with the power outages and weather down there.

Everyone Have a Super day!

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and the rest of the crew. The sun is shining and it is -14 degrees here in S.E. Michigan. The coldest day in two years. The wind chill is below -20, so I'll bundle up when venturing forth.

I had a good time giving my "Natural Ice Industry" clinic last evening. A few forum members were on-line and that was appreciated. This Saturday morning I give the same clinic to the Western New York crew.

I have a few fiddly bits to make/install for Kate's Kitchen. I'll be back at the bench later today.

I'm working on a new clinic in my spare time. Gathering the photos that I know are on my computer somewhere is always a joy.

Have a great day!

Bruce

potsy
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good morning Jim and crew its 16 and the sun is trying to shine here in SE Ohio thanks for breakfast my favorite all though I can't eat it ash wednesday I'm sure you didn't forget!! I go today to get my first shot hope it goes well. my wife already has both shot's working in the nursing field.

Stay safe

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, any chance that was recorded? (I had a conflict, a meeting of a city board I'm a member of.)

Cold and anything that was wet yesterday is sheet ice today. Driveway is nasty.

Some more work detail painting a structure and running wires for lights in the switcher shed.

(still a bit of touch-up left to do, I'll probably do that after assembly.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 02/17/2021 1:55:37 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim Bruce and crew. I learned a lot from Bruce's clinic last night. It was good to put a face with a name, seeing Michael Hohn on the screen. One of the positive things coming out of this pandemic are Zoom clinics.

I've finished modifying my cassettes yesterday. I want to make one more, but I may wait a day or two before I tackle that. I want to run some trains and try some switching operations.

Have a good day.
George

Fly Army

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from beautiful Wisconsin were the sun is very bright in a cloudless sky. It is -5f and the WC is also -5. High may get to 21.

Our son in Texas said last night at 10 he was fine but no electricity and of course no heat. He has not had any rolling blackout, just blackout since Monday at around 8am. I have a few friends in Texas. San Antonio, Houston, Denton, Corpus Christie and Frisco and all pretty much having the same issues.

Trains today. I believe I have the grain complex placement finalized. Today I will put down the driveways and experiment with covering the tracks with concrete.

Be safe out there
TomO

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  09:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bright sun and -6 this morning in lower Michigan, up from the -11 I saw around 0630 while up for a brief moment.

The green machine did a fine job cleaning up the driveway yesterday taking maybe 3/4 hour. The sidewalk and a couple details were well handled by the Doll. We went out early afternoon to pick up some Paczki the traditional Fat Tuesday pastry at the local bakery in Lake Odessa, award winning, too. We then went to pick up an Rx at Grand Ledge and then took a long way back before coming home. As I got to the old Pere Marquette tracks at Sunfield I noticed some snow drifts across and there had been no trains, as I slowly crossed I could see a headlight some miles to the West so we drove over behind the fire hall and parked by the tracks, snow there was knee deep. Soon I was rewarded with what is a rare sight, a CSX train, they had one each way scheduled but not always run.

Timing is everything, for sure.

No plans today, snow is rumored for later in the day.

Everyone have a fine day.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  09:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning from the sunny NH seacoast. It's supposed to get up to about freezing today but our driveway was ice free before the sun got over the trees. I couldn't watch Bruce's clinic because of a NER on-line event meeting last night. Now I've got Seashore meetings before lunch, so time to get back to my brass work. I should have enough to photograph and start a thread after lunch.

[edit] and I like your photo, Karl.

Edited by - jbvb on 02/17/2021 09:40:14 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  10:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Bruce, any chance that was recorded? (I had a conflict, a meeting of a city board I'm a member of.)

dave

Dave, I don't think that it was recorded. I'm giving it again on Saturday morning for the Western New York Division. I'm doing a test run tonight and will get the specifics on time, etc., and post it in the morning thread tomorrow.

Bruce

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  10:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning folks

22 is the temperature this bright morning. Going up to 31. We have a Winter Storm Watch posted starting late tonight into Friday. NWS says 4 to 6 inches. The local weather shamans are all over the place depending on where their dart landed on the snow accumulation dart board. My prayers to those in Texas. We thought 36 hours with temperatures in the teens back in 1994 were bad. I canít image what some of them are going through.

For the layout I cut the lumber and placed under the board. I now need to secure aka screw the wood in place. Next will be the working on the frame connecting the two boards. Then I can think about laying new foam over the one board.

Today I need to deal with some laundry. I donít think I have any errands to run.

I hope everybody has a good day.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  5:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear the news from Texas, for sure. Then I read that similar freeze-up outages happened in 1989 and 2011, and while there was talk about requiring generating plants to protect against unusual cold, no formal rules were established. And of course without anyone chasing them, not much was done and here they are again. My longest outage since I've lived here was 6 days. The past 2-3 years something (possibly what happened to PG&E) scared our electric utility and they've done a major cut-back of trees threatening the power lines. In 2008 the CEO's bonus took priority...

Previous Topic: Thursday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Tuesday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000