Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Main Street Warehouse #206 Upscaled
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 255 ]  [ Total: 257 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Main Street Warehouse #206 Upscaled
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Showcase of SRMW Kits Built By Us
Page: of 5

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  08:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful brick work Karl.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much George, Bob and Jerry.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  5:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  6:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fabulous modeling.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  7:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, how did you carve those bricks on an already assembled 4 walled plaster box? Sounds like a difficult feat...

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  9:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, I didnt realise those pics were so 'close up' till I came back to the thread...

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Wasn't so difficult Carl, I just leaned the block back on a 45 angle grabbed the straight edge and the exacto.

I started at the bottom on one side and worked up one side at a time making sure to tie each side into the next for the interlocking brick corners.

It's intricate and one bad mistake could ruin it all, but, after carving in the headers and door/window openings it was just care and patience.

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/21/2021 03:48:46 AM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  10:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, more nice pics. And so many detail parts really fill it out nicely.
Like everyone else, I'm impressed with the brickwork. Although you used a straightedge, the bricks still have a natural look, with slightly rounded corners and some various depth. With the spot on colouring, it all looks great.
Would drive me round the bend doing that much carving.
I like the rusty doors too.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  10:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

.... I'm impressed with the brickwork. Although you used a straightedge, the bricks still have a natural look, with slightly rounded corners and some various depth. With the spot on colouring, it all looks great.....

Thanks Rob, I recognised your eye for the nuances a couple builds ago. You SEE things.

As to your point... If I carve the plaster the same day it's cast, dry, but still holding some moisture, it will be softer and give you the softer edges.
Leave it a day or two to get fully dry and I can get get sharp clean corners, but, it's harder to carve and chips more easily.
Trial and error, I obviously wanted soft, aged and worn for this one.

The depth of the bricks is carved in individually, after the main basic bricks are carved for a wall, go back and carve and shape individual bricks, ie, deeper, chipped, angled etc...

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/17/2021 10:51:10 PM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  01:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's amazing that you can carve that much in a day, but I guess if you want that look you have to work quick.
Thanks for the tip.
I'm just naturally slow when it comes to modelling.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  08:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Close up is good, Karl. Love the coloration of the wood and all the details. Terrific job.

Bruce

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  11:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  1:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks really great, Karl.

I agree - that's a lot of carving for one day. Are you planning on putting some door handles on those double doors?

Cheers, Mark.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  5:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Your work is incredible...it's a joy to see your efforts and something to strive for!
Thanks for sharing your methods!

David Guffey

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  03:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments and posts.

The brick carving actually took two afternoons of carving if I remember correctly, (it was 10 years ago, so I'm a little vague). I do remember that the 'plaster block' is so big that it did stay 'damp' for quite a few days, so it was easy to stay relatively consistent throughout.
Smaller castings dry out much quicker which is why I described the difference between damp and dry carving.

Indeed Mark, all the doors will get handles, this is just the first level of basic, large details to get the feel for the scenes,
finer details, blending and weathering will be added as I progress past this first stage.
Designing the flow, the plan, the sight lines of the main aspects of the scenes is important at this stage, finishing details and touches will happen when I go back around and re-do everything.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  03:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

.....detail parts really fill it out nicely.

The thing that I love looking back at this picture is that using these techniques is that the resin details and wood components blend so seamlessly.
ie: the resin cast shelf unit next to the wood wall, the wood pallet next to the large resin crate, hard to tell the difference.

Page: of 5 Topic Next Topic: Showcase of SRMW Kits Built By Us  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000