Railroad Line Forums - SRMW's kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 174 ]  [ Total: 178 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SRMW's kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: FSM Kit #35 Two Stall Engine House Topic Next Topic: Challenge kitbash
Page: of 21

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, you've been calmly assembling all those tiny pieces without becoming unhinged
or even clling any of it a pane. Great work and terrific patience :) It's looking
really good.

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  09:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Jerry & Bill, thanks for your nice comments and for taking the time to do so!

Bill, drilling all of the little tiny holes for those hinges, is enough to make anyone become unhinged!
However it all came together well in the end.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 02/27/2021 09:34:13 AM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  2:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking great, Greg.

I spent Thursday afternoon drilling holes in the bottom of 16 HO scale LBP's feet so I could put pins up them for painting - so I have an inkling of what you just went through.

Cheers, Mark.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  5:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Greg,
The car shop is looking terrific! How do you see those tiny hinges and then manage to drill them?

David Guffey

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  6:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark & Dave, thanks for checking in, and for your nice comments!

Mark, sounds like you & I are singing the tiny hole drilling blues.

Dave, I hand held those pieces while I drilled them out.

Today I spray painted the backside of my glass wall panels with flat white paint, to match the other interior walls.

Now the instructions suggest that we paint these wooden walls on the outside Depot Buff.
I however have another plan, that will give my car/diesel shop an entirely different look.
I painted my outside window walls concrete coloured paint instead.
To make them look like cast concrete window frames instead of wooden ones.

I temporarily placed all the window castings into these walls to give you an idea how they will appear with this new concrete look.
I also included the cast brick wall segments to show you how all the colours & components look together.
There is also a double door that still needs to be cut into the wall with the most windows.
I placed it where it is supposed to go, just so you could see it there.
I also painted all those clerestory windows frames to match the clerestory walls.

Here's another photo showing how the machine shop will look when it's in place along the sidewall.

That's it for today.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 02/27/2021 8:02:53 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  7:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love it. Love it. Love it! Looks terrific! Especially with your choice of “concrete.”

Mike

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  8:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks so much! I'm glad you love, love, love it!

Greg

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  9:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Greg, great progress. I too like the one side having a half concrete wall section.
I included that on my N scale version, and I think it breaks up the look a lot, to give it some character.
The overall colouring is excellent. Perfect brick colour.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  05:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, This is REALLY nice looking, great job.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  08:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob & Bob, thanks very much for your kind remarks!

Greg

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Your colour scheme looks great, Greg.

Cheers, Mark.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  12:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice!!

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  5:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They look good as concrete. Very nice, Greg.

Chuck

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  8:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Fred & Chuck, thanks for your encouraging posts, I really appreciate them!

Hi everyone, well I got the sidewalls glued together today!
The first thing I needed to do was add a 1/32"x 3/8" strip of wood along the entire length on top of the brick wall castings.
I painted one edge of the wood white to match the rest of the interior walls, and the top & Bottom and one edge with concrete paint.

You use the same sized wood on the other side with more windows, except this time it goes on the bottom of the large window wall.
Here's mine already glued to the bottom.
These 2 strips of wood are flush with the interior surfaces, and stick out a bit on the exterior sides.

With the large window wall now having this piece of wood glued into place I could now glue the foundation castings into place.
I also decided not to use that door casting in this wall, so made this wall a little easier to do, by not having to cut into it to fit that doorway in.
You also want to check both ends of the wall to make certain they are square and even with the foundation walls.
I had to sand the wooden portion that holds all of the windows down a bit, to make it even with the foundation.

After that had a chance to dry, I was able to glue in the 2 brick wall castings on either ends.
Again making certain that everything is square and even along the top & bottom of this wall.

I then turned my attention to adding 1/32"x 1/4" stripwood around the clapboard walls(Sides & top) that will be used on either end of the 2nd wall.

After using these 2 end clapboard walls to figure out exactly where the window section in the middle of this wall gets glued to.
I then glued that into position and carefully clamped it.

After that had a chance to dry, I then glued into place the end clapboard walls on either side, and my 2 sidewalls are now together!

Here's how the interior walls came out looking in the end as well.

That's all I've got for now.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 02/28/2021 8:58:12 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  12:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really good, Greg. I like the "concrete" window wall.
I'm curious - How well does the concrete colored plaster section on
each end match the texture of the long laser cut plywood window section?
Did you do anything to the plywood to help match the plaster or did just
the paint make a good match?

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: FSM Kit #35 Two Stall Engine House Topic Next Topic: Challenge kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000