Railroad Line Forums - Juneco 75 foot deck Bridge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 243 ]  [ Total: 243 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Juneco 75 foot deck Bridge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works) Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 4

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  8:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice neat work, Glen.

George

Fly Army

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  9:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2021 :  10:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone
I managed to get quite a bit done over the past week. I've been trying to complete instruction 1 step each evening.

To join the two truss assemblies, I first had to clamp them the correct distance apart, then glue in the bottom cross laterals. Then I added the wind struts (the cross bracing inside the structure), and then the top laterals. It's kind of like building a spider web out of 1/16 basswood.

I also attached the floor beams at this time.

I then glued the bottom struts. Both the floor beams and bottom struts are drilled for the hanger rods to run through. Since the floor beam were already in place, I used those to locate the struts by running the piano wire through both prior to gluing.

The last thing I did tonight was to installing the hanger rods and the tie rods. Now it's starting to look like something!

However I have run into a problem. I can't seem to find any photos or plans of what the bridge abutments for this sort of bridge would look like, either wood or stone. I would prefer to scratchbuild out of wood but stone would be okay as well.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2021 :  10:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is looking good.

It's only make-believe

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2021 :  12:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, really nice work. Sure does look like solid construction. It's not going to move.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2021 :  11:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

The kit appears to be based on a Jack Work article in the April 1968 MR (confirming what Mike Mace posted above). He does not model abutments, instead suggesting that it would be appropriate as part of a trestle. He mentions the possibility of stone abutments.

So, you could build trestle bents on the approaches and double bents under the truss bridge ends.

Iíll have alternative suggestions and photos to post later.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2021 :  7:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.
Mike I did do a bit more research. your suggestion of the end bents and the double bents/piers looks like it makes the best sense. It shouldn't be to hard to scatchbuild them.

I added the cast metal hardware yesterday:

It took more time to do this than I thought it would. the NBW castings simulate the threaded ends of the tension rods and so I had to drill some of the holes out a bit larger and also shorten some of the tension rods. Made made the holes just big enough so the castings would 'friction fit' and I wouldn't have to use glue. The upper and lower channel castings are glued on and are retaining the vertical tension rods in place.

I then built the two end bents, using the kit templates as a jig.

Ready to be glued in place.

Then I started with the bridge deck, first by taping the bridge ties into place.

Then I glued the glued the stringers to the ties, this is all built upside down. The two sets of longer ties are for the water barrels/ refuge points. The instructions have them staggered on opposite sides but since my bridge is close to the backdrop, I chose to put them both on the same side.

And lastly, I started to hand-lay the track onto the deck. I got about this far when my back started to tell me it was time to stop. I hope to get back at it in the next few days.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  06:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished off the trackwork:

I ended up spiking every 5th tie for the main rails, 10th tie for the guard rails. I have spikes that are short enough to just go through the bridge ties and stringers so they didn't interfere with assembling the decking to the main structure later.

Then I made it through final assembly, starting with adding the bents to the main structure.

and then the deck

Centering the deck on the main assembly took a bit of measuring but it worked out in the end.

And then a quick fit check on the layout:

I was relieved when the bridge fit exactly how I had run the roadbed. Now I have to fill in the benchwork under it and then I can start measuring for the piers and abutments.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  08:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Your bridge is looking mighty nice. I like the color you stained the wood.

Hereís a photo of wood bents supporting an iron bridge:

Thatís somewhere in the Carolinas.

Mike

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  08:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been quietly following along, and you've done an excellent job on this bridge kit Glen..

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Glen.

Your comment, "It took more time to do this than I thought it would", applies to most of my projects.

George

Fly Army

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  08:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It fits! It also look terrific, Glen. Nice job.

Bruce

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  08:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just dropped by to see how that deck bridge is coming along. Looks great. Nice work clean work.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite impressive !!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  4:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen the bridge came out looking great. Very nice. I also like the color of the wood. Outstanding job.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works) Topic Next Topic: The 2021 Choices Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000