Railroad Line Forums - The D&RGW in 1/300 Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 231 ]  [ Total: 234 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The D&RGW in 1/300 Scale
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Diesels Come to the D&RGW in Nn3
Page: of 3

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/10/2021 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with BreizhSteamer, being a newbie to both this site and model railroading, I feel quite welcome and everyone has encouraging words.
Especially given the level of talent on this site. I have been on car restoration, sailing, and other model railroading sites, and this has
to be of of the more inclusive sites.
It is one of my favorites!

Scott

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/11/2021 :  3:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joseph,
Do you have any pictures of you building the box cars? I was curious about your technique.
I will be building Z scale box cars in the future.

Thanks,
Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 02/11/2021 3:22:27 PM

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 02/12/2021 :  10:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I didnít document construction on this project.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2021 :  11:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to more of your work.

David Guffey

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2021 :  1:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those ships like the trains unbelievable!!!

Your work is beyond words. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful work with us.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 02/15/2021 :  8:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Glad to be here

Gary from kent
New Hire

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  09:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joseph,

I would love to know what you use for the rigging in your ships. Everything I try in N Scale looks clunky by comparison.

Cheers

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2021 :  5:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Alexander Law Collection of miniature ship models at Mystic Seaport Museum has a number of tiny models rigged with human hair. The models were built between about 1940-60, so the hair has proven durable.

I used hair to attach the mesh to the dip net frame on the back of the HO scale Woodie I detailed. (red circles) The handle of the net was also wrapped with hair (red oblong). The hair was coated with thn CA and then painted with a very thin coat of black acrylic paint.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 02/20/2021 5:05:53 PM

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  1:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use about 6 different grades and types of wire, single strand or braided to represent rope. For natural catenary, the best wire is nitinol, but itís extremely expensive. I buy it in 25í lengths at about $20. But itís properties are second to none. Second, I use many different grades of magnet wire, mostly 42 AWG and 38 AWG. This stuff is extremely cheap. When I need something with a dramatic catenary, say for rigging a boom crane, but I need the driver wire to support the boom, I use tungsten wire.

To represent rope, I built a rope walk, which braids together 3-7 strands of wire to create a rope. Once itís finished and pulled tight, I usually use a copper blackening solution or airbrush it depending. I only use these on the larger sailing ships such as my HM Cutter Alert. The 1/1500 ships are single strand as the majority of their rigging was steel cables anyway.

I donít use anything organic like hair, synthetic or otherwise.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Diesels Come to the D&RGW in Nn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000