Railroad Line Forums - The D&RGW in 1/300 Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 246 ]  [ Total: 247 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The D&RGW in 1/300 Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad
Page: of 3

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  8:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speedbird,
How did you create the wood siding on the box cars?

Scott

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  10:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They’re real wood, it was done board by board

MarcusF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  10:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're mad! Mad I tells 'ya! :)
Pretty amazing stuff! Are you a watchmaker by trade? I can't imagine doing those cars board-by-board!
The loco looks great, do the rods and valve gear move, or are they static?

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  10:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Air traffic controller actually. Ships are my primary focus. I build these from boxwood (NOT basswood) and brass. Each is completely built from scratch. The coin is the size of a US Quarter

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  09:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are insane but in a good way!

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  1:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, but I do get a lot of joy working in small scales. No one else is building ships with this much detail, from scratch, and I enjoy the uniqueness. I also tend to choose subjects that aren’t produced in plastic kit form in larger scales. There are certain popular subjects that I just won’t touch, like most of the WWII capital ships, they’ve been done to death.

Model railroaders tend to be a traditional lot. I’ve received some very negative comments elsewhere about my 1/300 project. It seems if it’s not HO or N, they see it as pointless, which I find strange. I think the question I hate the most is “Why?”. It certainly begs the answer: “Why not?”. Usually I simply ignore, full stop. If one has to ask why one creates something new, I have no time for them. I love seeing creative work from others, in large scale and small; it’s variety, fresh. More importantly, it’s fun.

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  1:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just discovered this thread, and what I'm seeing is incredible craftsmanship!
Really beautiful models!
Thanks for taking the time to share your amazing work with us!

Greg

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  8:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joseph, really stunning work. At model shows I go I see a lot of ships in 1:350 and 1:700 scale, with full detail, even the railings, and always admire their work. But they are from kits.
For you to scratchbuild, in these smaller scales is truly impressive.

And I hear you about some folks not understanding small scale modelling. My local NMRA group is mostly narrow gaugers, and mostly in O scale..
I'm sort of the lone wolf modelling in N scale standard gauge, so some of them just don't get it and ignore my models.
But It doesn't really worry me.
As you said, main thing is to have fun.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Edited by - robert goslin on 02/08/2021 5:45:52 PM

BreizhSteamer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  03:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit BreizhSteamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joseph, I second Rob. If folks can't or won't acknowledge the love and craftmanship that you're pouring into your models, discussing with them is a moot point.
You do what you like to do; if someone else enjoys watching your results and progress, that's fine. If they don't, you don't owe it to anyone to proselytise.

So keep having fun, your models sure look like you do!

Regards,

Frédéric

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  09:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joseph,

I enjoy seeing your outstanding models. I like the Alert in particular.

You could fit a whole museum of ships in a bookcase.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 02/08/2021 09:22:10 AM

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  12:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the compliments!

I rarely get any pushback from the ship model world, but model railroaders, not to disparage present company of course, are quite a cliquish lot. I think one of my main gripes is that model railroaders seem to work in a bubble. The armor and military modelers have really cracked scenery and weathering, to the extent of bordering on photo-realism. To me, it seems that weathering powders and Woodland Scenics is as far as we get sometimes, and there is a whole world of other “stuff” out there that would translate extremely well to model railroading. I think that sort of mentality we see here is what causes some to disregard others in model railroading. It’s a strange space sometimes. A couple of years ago a local model railroad round-robin club told me they weren’t interested in narrow gauge modelers, which is my primary focus. I had to laugh.

Certainly, I’m not looking for a pity-party, I’m just sharing my observations. It’s just a strange mix.

BreizhSteamer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  12:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit BreizhSteamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The main reason why I only frequent these forums is that I haven't experienced any cliquish behaviour around here. Props to the users!

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  2:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joseph
Totally agree with you, most are in a bobble for sure. When I'm at shows and mention stuff plastic modelers do and sites to check out I get the blank lights in the deer's eyes look. Ship modelers do some of the best water ever for one and as you say about armor guys and their scenery is right on.
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

MarcusF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/10/2021 :  08:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedbird

Thanks! Air traffic controller actually.

I kind of guessed something aeronautical, what with your username. ;)

Is the running gear on your loco for show, or for go?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2021 :  09:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What you write resonates with many of us I’m sure. In partial defense of model railroaders, if they are building a layout of some size, they are likely to be doing pretty basic scenery that looks good in general, without the scenic detail of dioramas. Having said that, it would be useful to see a clinic demonstrating some of the products used by the military modelers.

Although I model standard gauge railroads, I’ve attended narrow gauge conventions and I give highest priority to visiting narrow gauge layouts when I’m at NMRA conventions. I like the craftsmanship that’s displayed.

Mike

Page: of 3 Topic Next Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000