Railroad Line Forums - The D&RGW in 1/300 Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 275 ]  [ Total: 278 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The D&RGW in 1/300 Scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Diesels Come to the D&RGW in Nn3
Page: of 3

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  03:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was time to share some photos of the 1/300 scale D&RGW equipment Iíve been working on. What youíre seeing here is completely operational and made its first run on the test track January 26, 2021. I started this project seriously about a month ago, but Iíd been considering it for the past year. This scale, 1/300 is just about 50% the size of N scale. You can see the Nn3 car Iíve placed in the photos for scale, and the schilling is the size of a US quarter. Almost all of what you see is completely built from scratch. There are some 3D printed elements like the trucks and locomotive frame, and some custom photo-etch work like the caboose ends and some of the ladders. However the rest was built by me. The boxcars, caboose, and reefers are made from wood (yes real wood), styrene, and brass. The locomotive is styrene stainless steel, and brass. The models are designed to operate on T scale track and uses T scale power mechanisms. Power comes from the reefer cars, where the T scale mechanisms are located. I built two for operational reliability. Those familiar with the D&RGW will be familiar with Otowi Bridge, and while Iíve built the whole bridge Iím just showing the main span at this point. It was easier to photograph. I had made up a set of plans for the bridge a while back, which was a painstaking process, and Iíve modeled this bridge in full in both Nn3 and 1/300. I have plans to start the layout very soon. I havenít quite decided how I want to proceed yet, but obviously it will depict the Chili Line north of Santa Fe NM. I primarily model the D&RGW in Nn3, which is another craftsman-oriented space. Iíve been threatening a larger Nn3 layout, but with the specter of an impending move, I canít start just yet. Iím sure some of you are familiar with my small Nn3 layout though. So with this 1/300 project Iíll be able to build quite a bit while remaining portable. Iíd like to thank Jesse Svoboda over at CCE Models, for producing the trucks, locomotive frame, photo etch, and decals. Most of these items are also available to purchase from him as we speak. Additionally the models are finished with ScaleColors paint. ScaleColors airbrushes like a dream, highly recommended! Soon I hope to have some photos of the layout taking shape. Thanks for looking.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  08:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is amazing! And people think I'm nuts for working in N scale!

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  10:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very impressive. I'm also impressed by the detail of the equipment.

Next we'll be working with nano-bots to build even smaller models.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  11:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Glad you like it

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  1:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Verryyyy impressive!
Just when you think Z scale is small, out comes a T scale based 1/300th railroad.
Beautiful work and detail!
I have seen your Shay on another site, love your work!

Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 01/27/2021 1:25:05 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  8:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a really some impressive modeling.

Glad that your sharing it with us!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BreizhSteamer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  03:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit BreizhSteamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never seen so small models with such accurate detailing. Mindblowing!
I'll follow along.

Frťdťric

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  06:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! More to come

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  08:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joseph, you are the master of small. I just took a look at your website and I'm sure impressed with your work.

George

Fly Army

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  11:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, very kind!

Yeah the ships are my primary focus, model railroading is my hobby away from my hobby.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  11:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrific work!

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  1:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks !

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I'm sorry to say this but I'm having trouble grasping the size and complicity of craftsmanship here. I thought Fn3 was small.

Frank

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 02/01/2021 :  1:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itís very not for everyone, thatís for sure. Fun to see whatís possible though

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2021 :  3:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool indeed'.. I'm trying to imagine any size layout in this scale'... It would be gigantic...on any size surface'...

Ted

speedbird
New Hire

Posted - 02/01/2021 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím thinking 2í x 3í still, that should fit the bill

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Wild Horse Island Railroad Topic Next Topic: Diesels Come to the D&RGW in Nn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.46 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000