Railroad Line Forums - Ultra sonic cleaning brass...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 257 ]  [ Total: 258 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Steam Shop
 Ultra sonic cleaning brass...
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: What to do with an old cast 0-4-0t dockside?  Dcc?  

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  7:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solution suggestions for using in a sonic cleaner for a brass locomotive.

Newly purchased used locomotive was described as "Has tarnish" Classic understatement, looks like it was weathered to appear like a poorly maintained coal fire while running on a muddy cinder right of way.
Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  8:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
White Vinegar then rinse with distilled water and air dry. Of course if you can, pull the body away from the drive train, do it. If it has a coat of clear lacquer, it will take longer in the ultrasonic cleaner. Wear gloves after it comes out of the bath, as the oils from your hands will give you some nice 'camo' patterns on the newly cleaned (etched) brass work. If ytou are keeping it as a brass model, hit it with a light coat of clear lacquer.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 01/25/2021 8:11:54 PM

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  8:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use a product by Hornady called One shot sonic clean solution. You tube has many links for cleaning brass anything.

Here's a quick link to one. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hornady+one+shot+sonic+clean+solution&docid=608040032595214692&mid=CC97FD2FF78588097210CC97FD2FF78588097210&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

When I clean brass models I solder all loose parts then grit blast all surfaces and remove any extra solder blobs and then sonic clean all parts with solution to finish prep cleaning prior to painting.

I've never cleaned brass to be shinny. Although this solution works well removing old clear coats and making brass shine. Here's a quick pic from a thread I did a while back.

The parts of the loco in the picture that looks tarnished is only the clear coat that stuck to the model when I lifted it out of the cleaner. The second time I did it I first took a paper towel and removed the clear coat floating on the top of the solution. Then picked the model out and it was clean.

Hope this helps! Thanx Thom...

B

Edited by - tct855 on 01/25/2021 8:24:36 PM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  4:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spent half the evening perusing videos. After the snowstorm Iíll see what I can accomplish.

Thanks Jim and Thom.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Topic Next Topic: What to do with an old cast 0-4-0t dockside?  Dcc?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000