Railroad Line Forums - 2021 Choices Challenge "Kate's Kitchen"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 181 ]  [ Total: 183 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2021 Choices Challenge "Kate's Kitchen"
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Mountaineer Precision Products Barn Topic Next Topic: MDC Climax Kitbash by Steve Turner
Page: of 7

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  6:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's often a story. This story starts in the fall of 2014. That fall, the Northeastern Region of the NMRA would have their annual convention in Palmer, Mass. Also in that fall we were having a discussion on the Forum about the Roundhouse 3-in-1 kits. I expressed my desire to get some more of them. Forum member Espen Marsh (trainmarsh) contacted me via PM to let me know that he had several - actually more than several. If I was going to Palmer, he lived not to far away. Plans were made, and I now have 11 of those kits on my shelf - some from Espen, some from shows, etc.

While there, Espen threw in a kit that he was making, I beleive, that consisted of laser cut clapboard walls, a laser cut roof of some terrific material, a package of Tichy door and window openings, and some stripwood. He apologetically mentioned that the instructions were not available, but optimistically said that I should have no trouble putting it together with my experience. We will see.

Looking at the wall pieces, I could see this becoming a small store - like a feed store. However, I need one more structure in my 'grandchild series' and it is for Kate. Hence Kate's Kitchen - a cafe.

This roof material is terrific. It is some type of thin cardstock with a hard-shell finish.

It shows the basic shape of the structure. One would guess a peaked roof structure with an addition off one side.
Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  6:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first looked at the two end walls, I thought briefly that they forgot to cut the peaked top on one of them. I thought "no problem". Place the walls back-to-back and trace the roof line from on to the other. Then cut to the line.

Thankfully I played around with all 7 wall pieces for a while and finally figured out that it was a building with a 'false front'. Duh!! You almost had me there, Espen.

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  9:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks interesting, Bruce. And a bit intriguing. I look forward to seeing what you make of it.

Mike

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  05:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should be fun to watch!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  7:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
Looks like a nice building. I like the false front style. I'll be following.
Scott

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  01:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, looks a nice kit even if you don't have instructions or a reference photo.
The large blank left wall, will be great for a large sign or 2. or you could add extra windows to that side.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  09:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking in Mike, Bob, Scott & Rob.

Here are a few more "in the kit" pictures.

Assorted stripwood. I assume that the six pieces on the bottom of the photo are the corner pieces and the three pieces in the upper left are for the top of the false front of the structure. I'm not sure what the rest were intended to be used for.

The castings. Windows, people doors, freight door, corbels, and a smoke vent. I will not be using the freight door. More on that later.

And that pretty much shows all the kit's contents.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  09:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, if I'm not going to use the freight door, than what are my plans for this wall section?

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  12:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

... or you could add extra windows to that side.

Great minds think alike, Rob. The window is a Campbell casting. Period appropriate, I think.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  12:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, back to that wall section that has the freight door opening. Checking my stack of scribed siding, I found a sheet of clapboard that was the same thickness and with the same width clapboards.

I cut a duplicate wall out of that sheet and cut in an opening for a store window.

Onward.

And a small YouTube video I made on cutting out the window opening. Old stuff to our members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4F_vPyQkc

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  2:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm done painting the wall sections, but the windows, doors and wooden trim still need another coat of the maroon paint.

Bruce

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  6:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I always enjoy your 'grandkid" builds Bruce, this one is sure to please as much as the others.
I initially remembered your 'pickle build' from way back.
Looks like an interesting design.

Karl.A

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  6:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking in, Karl. It is hard for me to believe, but granddaughter Devon of Devon's Dill's fame is now a married woman. Boy does time fly!

Bruce

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  7:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NIce start to a futon looking project.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  7:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Kate’s Kitchen is looking very Kountry. You’re using good traditional colors.

Mike

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/24/2021 :  7:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Nice video. So, what exit?
Mine was 83 on the NJPKWY.
Scott

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Mountaineer Precision Products Barn Topic Next Topic: MDC Climax Kitbash by Steve Turner  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000