Railroad Line Forums - Geezer's Lounge Volume 28 (Part 2)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 212 ]  [ Newest Member: mike mientus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Geezer's Lounge Volume 28 (Part 2)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: On30 annual
Page: of 43

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  09:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunny with frost this morning in MI after hitting 60 yesterday briefly. Quite a bit snow was sent on it's way. The Doll talked to the crew up in da Yoop, said they still have about 24" but it's decreasing at a good pace.

After I dropped off the truck at the shop we did some things at home then the Doll wanted to cash a check and mail out a check I'd made for the appliance shop up N. As the weather was nice she decided to take a stop at a couple of her thrift shops and scour for some stuff for her antique booths. As we drove along the road in Grand Rapids suburb Lowell, we passed the Ford dealer and noticed a bright shiny white 4runner about like hers on the lot. After coming out of the thrift shop a bit down the road she headed back the way we'd come and on a whim pulled in and looked at the car......short from long, it followed us home.

I did find a bit of time in the mid day to tinker with the gas station a little.

Rick, good way to manage yourself. It took me until about a year before retirement to lay back and chill.

Mike, I, too, would love some of those enchiladas, I used to make the pedestrian gringo version using the McCormick mix in the pouch and beef for the Doll's daughter, kidded her about them settling in her rear and end up giving her "'chilada butt" she was always a fitness enthusiast but working at home the last year, she's developing a bit of a 'chilada behind, but I'd have to let HER bring it up. She AND her hubby have become quite enamored of staying home. Both have jobs that actually seamlessly work out well from home. She does online advertising for the Michigan State Lottery and he works for Auto Owner's Insurance, he's the guy that says, "Oh sorry but your policy doesn't cover that..." It seems stay at home as really settled in with the Doll's girls. Her other daughter works out of the home but refuses to send her kids to school after they opened up a couple weeks ago, really not helping her high school senior have much of a senior year and the 11 yr old boy is become a wet noodle with strong gaming thumbs and the complexion of Casper the Ghost, mom treating him like a 5 year old doesn't help either. Grand maternal growling and gnashing of the teeth has been considerable.

Heading to 60 again today, have to get out and check it out once it gets warmer. Rain in forecast in a day or two.

Everyone have a fine day. Be well, be safe.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from iffy internet Wisconsin where the temperatures should end up in the lower 60’s with no sunshine.

Problems connecting again and yes Karl I am spoiled. You have the speeds we used to get in North Central Wisconsin before I started using satellite and then finally DSL. Here normal was 500-600, occasionally 700 even though we are paying for 1000mb. The TDS service guy did call and say he’ll be here between 9 and 10 this morning. $45k for internet laying of fiber lines is a little extreme, by a lot. Public and government approved robbery. In the last house we were over 1000’ from the fiber lines along the county road and the fiber, I paid under $1000 to run the fiber to the house but that was 3 years ago. Since Covid our speeds have been throttled down and there has been nothing I can do about that. This is different, we haven’t been able to connect, or it disconnects but worst it buffers. With what we pay, $90 a month that should not happen especially since I am the only device using it since January when Terry went back to Hawaii.

As I noted yesterday evening no trains yesterday and we’ll see when TDS actually gets here.

Everyone be safe
TomO

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  09:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning folks,

Rick, thanks for coffee.

Jerry, thanks for breakfast. I'll take a bacon and cheese omelet, thank you very much.

Tom, it is amazing how Internet speed affects our lives, lol. I become very grumpy when the Internet becomes dodgy. We are at the very end of the Spectrum line, but get decent speeds at around 200 mb.

Karl, who gets the 4runner?

Son and I made Peruvian chicken, corn, and bread pudding last night. It was fun making and more fun eating.

Forecast for today is 74F and cloudy.

I had planned to work at lodge this morning and come home at noon. Not sure I will go in today. Court, is working mornings and taking afternoon off. We may start the migration of boxes from the garage to the train room.

Today has been fourteen days since the 2nd Covid vaccination, and it should have generated its maximum antibodies. I feel safer, but will continue to mask up in stores, etc.

Have fun and stay safe,
mike

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  10:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by friscomike

Good morning folks,

Karl, who gets the 4runner?

Son and I made and bread pudding last night.
mike

It's the Doll's, I have the '17 Taco ma Off Road

Damn I love bread pudding!!!

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 03/09/2021 12:40:46 PM

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  11:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Rick thanks for the coffee and be safe at work.

Jerry thanks for breakfast. Enjoy your time working on the Mill. That's why I like the Tyvek for belts; even thin strips seem to be strong enough to handle my sometimes rough handling.

Karl nice 4runner; that should earn you some points with the Doll for awhile. Enjoy working on the gas station.

Tom hope you get your internet sorted out soon. I'm lost when our goes down; guess it's all what your used to.

Mike bread pudding; I haven't had that since I was a kid. My Mom used to make it and it was delicious....ah yes the good 'ole days. Keep going on the train room and you'll get there before you know it.

It's a warm 36 this morning in New York with a high of 50...works for me. Going to run a couple of errands this morning then maybe some bench time latter. Work has started on the Hammer.

Have a great day. Be safe and stay healthy.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  4:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl nice looking SUV! I'm sure she deserves it!

Well it is 5:00 somewhere so the bar is open.
Bourbon, Rye, Scotch on the back bar your choice of name.

Red wine on the bar. White in the fridge.

Cold ones in the fridge with the sodas.

Speed rail has the vodka, gin and whatever you need.

I'm going to have a nice gin & tonic!

Enjoy the rest of the day!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  4:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, thanks, think I'll have a glass of red.

Instead of an indoor bike ride the dog and I took advantage of the nice weather and had a walk in the park.

Have a nice evening all and see you in the AM.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  04:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning or evening wherever in the world you are.

Coffee, hot water for tea and a variety of cold sodas are ready to go.

Sunny, with a high near 63.

Larry, I guess it's Hammer Time.

Karl, sharp looking SUV. ["-thumbu]
Hope you have many trouble free miles with her.

Mike, bread pudding, I haven't had that in a long time either.

Tom, hope you get the internet problem sorted today.

Jerry, bench or beach today?

TGIF

Grocery shopping after work.
Think I'll sit outside, build a fire and enjoy a cigar afterwards.

Have a great day everyone.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  07:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Rick, thanks for coffee. The walk with the dog sounds like a perfect way to spend the afternoon.

Karl, that is a nice looking SUV. Doll should be happy.

Larry, hammer in the morning, hammer in the evening, hammer all over the layout...

Tom, hoping the Internet is up at your place.

I made a French bread loaf for the bread pudding. My son did the rest. It was the best I have tasted. He's a great cook.

In a bit, the dogs get to go for a spa day and a few shots. My wife said something about shopping this afternoon.

Have fun and stay safe,
mike

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  08:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning everyone

Rick thanks for opening and the coffee.

Weather wise its a sunny/41 here in South Jersey going to the mid 50's.

Rick yesterday was yard clean up nothing at the bench.
Today might be a walk on the beach.

Mike have fun shopping with the wife.

Everyone have a wonderful day!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  09:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from again ugly looking Wisconsin. High again today in the mid 60’s and all the weather apps say it is raining. From my weather deck looking at the weather boulders in the yard, I don’t see or feel any rain. The snow pack here is mostly gone. There are still the huge piles where the plowing and blowers put it.

The internet has become so ingrained in us and I have been spoiled by the speeds we were getting prior to the pandemic. The tech yesterday was the tech owho has installed the fiber optics in this and the last house. There is nothing interfering on the fiber lines. At the junction box about 1/2 mile away he showed me the speeds TDS is putting out. They are throttled down at the source as from the junction to the house they are that same speed 300mp when because I buy the 1000mb package should be getting around 7-800 on a direct connect device. The house is WiFi and there should be a 10 to 20% loss of signal.
I asked what to do and he said switch providers after they refuse you a refund for lower speeds. Thankfully there is no contract. The installer is an independent contractor and said I do not need a new line and do not pay for a new install if I switch providers.

The flooding on Maui is not affecting my brother’s place but paradise is raining. The daughter, SIL and grandkids are leaving tomorrow but flying into Arizona to stay at the brother’s house there. They will spend a week or so. They will be visiting Sedona and the Grand Canyon. I am still being the hermit guy and still doing curbside Friday dinner fish fry pickup and the same for groceries. My 1st shot has moved 4 times from 2/16 to 4/1. Then Yesterday it moved to 3/10/2021 at 3:10pm.

The only train activity yesterday was 2-LP conductors were painted. The PPE safety vest will be painted today, I hope.

Enjoy your day
TomO

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  10:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hazy sun and 5r here this morning. The Doll is off I her new chariot and I’m here with my gas station project and cold oat goo..

No big plans today, I will venture out a awhile to check the perimeter of the compound. It’s been ‘warm’ enough that the top of the bare ground is wet. There is still frost in the ground. Later in the day rain is forecast. 8-10 foot waves and rain at the Northern Command sounds a bit inhospitable. I wonder if the surfers will be out by the lighthouse. Hearty bunch of crazy’s they are.

Everyone have a fine day, be well and safe.

TomO, had satellite once, Direct-net, precursor of Hughes and what a joke they were. Worst phone support of any entity of any sort of anything I ever dealt with. Never believed you were smart enough to have gone thru the basic checks so you had to play along from reboot, now reset modem, now click this, then that, before you’d get passed on to next level of disdainful English as a third language person, all the while listening to 30-45 minutes of the same inane repeating KennyG saxophone solo while on hold between each level of nonsupport. Often times they’d flat out lie or make something up. Ix-nay to satellite. I hate KennyG.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 03/10/2021 10:28:24 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  05:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning or evening wherever in the world you are.

Coffee, hot water for tea and a variety of cold sodas are ready to go.

Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 75.

Bike ride first, then meal prep.
Some usual chores then time to go outside and enjoy the warm weather.

Larry (both of you , Philip, Yannis, Dave and anyone else out there, stop in and let us know how you're doing.

Have a great day everyone.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  08:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grey and falling temps, 60 at midnight and mid 50s and still falling at o810. Big rain that woke me up in the middle of the night, hard to do without my "ear buds" in.

As it was warm during the day I deviated from inside plans and went outside, tried out the new pistol and took a walk.

The weather is to cool off for the next few days but not terribly. Will watch a hoops game this morning, mediocre teams get 11:30 am Thursday game times. Shellac was the word of the day the last time we played today's opponent.

Be well all, that 75 will be nice, Rick, with a foggy start it might even feel a bit humid when it peeks.

Mega Dittos

Karl Scribner
Manistique, Michigan

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  08:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good Morning!

Thanks for the coffee!

I'm still Breathing Rick! ~edited~

Edited by - Philip on 03/11/2021 2:11:57 PM

Page: of 43 Topic Next Topic: On30 annual  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000