Railroad Line Forums - 1:144 Scale Gato Class Submarine Diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 1:144 Scale Gato Class Submarine Diorama
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: O Scale Fishing Boat / Trawler (Round Stern)
Page: of 6

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  08:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks,Frank, terrific modeling and excellent Step-by-Step including changes along the way!
Wonder if you could pose/create an evening shot outside against an wide ocean background.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry.

Rob, believe me I spent a lot of time practicing along the way that’s why it took me 6 months to finish this project. Practice – quit – repeat. That gentleman you forwarded from YouTube is the one that used those colors. Whoa from deck hand to Captain, maybe Officer of the Deck. I’ll get some close ups.

Mike a great big THANKS.

Thanks Bill, changes – we don’t need no stinking changes. But wait till you see the changes coming! PLUS this is the second base that I made, the first one went in the trash. You have to know when to say when.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/14/2021 10:38:17 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  10:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Before I finalize the “water” flowing from the vents I’ll go around and trim any not flowing in the right direction.

The 20 mm Oerlikon Anti-Aircraft guns and the antenna wires going from the bridge standoffs to the “T” pole near the stern were added to finish the model.

Jim Hopes, one of our Suncoast Center members, added the sky and enhanced the photos. I re-shot the model for these photos with a white background. I have a photo area on my workbench where I have a pull-down white vinyl window shade. It’s long enough that it covers my workbench too. After the photo shoot I roll it back up and it’s out of the way and it stays nice and clean. Jim used Luminar AI photo editing tool that he down-loaded from the internet.

After doing my research on this project the night time shot just brings to mind the action during WWII "Running the Slot" New Georgia Sound. That's where Lt. John Kennedy and the PT 109 met it's fate.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/14/2021 10:58:25 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  10:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

This is seriously, seriously cool stuff!!

Thanks!!!

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  11:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank- wonderful modeling and Mr. Hopes image manipulation is top notch as well!

Krylon Gloss Clear

So is the final "shine" of the water achieved with just this spray can?

bandman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  12:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvelous effects all around, Frank. Water, sub, and various sky effects...ALL terrific!

Horton M.

nortonw
Section Hand

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  12:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

While you mentioned JFK in passing, I believe the PT Squadron he was assigned to was based either in Tulaghi, right above Guadalcanal on your map, or in Rendova, right below the New Georgia Islands legend. Those were two of the bases PT boats used during WW II and if I get a chance to look it up, I will. Just another piece of data for your build post.

After looking this up I find that Kennedy was stationed at both Tulaghi and Rendova during WW II.

Norton

The V & T lives in my garage (soon)

Edited by - nortonw on 01/14/2021 2:21:06 PM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  11:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, thanks for the extra photos, and that's a great backdrop Jim has added. I admire folks who know how to do all that stuff. Really adds to the mood of the rough ocean.

And thanks to you & Norton about the JFK info.
I have a 1:72 scale model of the PT109 to build as well.( along with a Vosper MTB and 2 German e-boats). Too many models, too little time.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  07:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank,in a word,Fantastic!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  09:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank!!! Wow!!!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  09:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Pete, seriously thanks. It just dawned on me you should know all about those sneaky submarines Cpt. Orion.

Carl, just plain ole Krylon Gloss. Either a good one coat or two smaller ones.

Horton, thanks for the comps.

Norton, ah both places, I’m sure they each had first class accommodations.

Rob, yes Jim did a great job. I’ll be looking forward to see your boat builds in the future.

Thanks Dave and Bill.

Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  09:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LATE DEPARTURE and now the FINAL CURTAIN.

After all that work I decided in order to keep it clean I needed a cover. For dramatic reasons I thought the bow protruding past the edge of the base would look nice. But now I need to add an extension. For those who dare to watch a late change in the works read no further. Get ready with the big knife.

The first step is to cut the end off the existing “FINISHED” diorama and attach an extension piece with Gorilla Glue. After that I’ll sand and fit it into place and patch with spackle, refoil and repaint.

I added a strip of foam to clear the bow. It’s held in place with bungees till the Gorilla Glue kicks off.

A little spackle paste to fill in the gaps.

Now I’ll cover it with foil torn with ragged edges to blend into the existing base and paint it white.

Next I painted on the Clear Blue and Sea Blue to match. I used a torn edge sheet of manila folder to mask the areas I didn’t want painted like the sub. The torn edge gives you a rough edge not a straight line. Then a finish coat of Krylon Gloss Clear to match the existing base. No seams no errors only longer. That’s what I like about using paint colors straight out of the bottle, they match. It’s not like have to mix colors to get the right shade.

I went to a plastics warehouse and bought a sheet of 1/8” Acrylic. This was my first attempt at making a case and it turned out ok. I didn’t have any way to flame polish the edges so they’re sanded with 320 sandpaper then 600 wet/dry sandpaper and finally swiped with a razor blade. That made the edges as smooth as I could get them. Now it has that aquarium look.

I made the frame from top grade pine from Lowe’s. I added a few checks in the corners and along the sides with my wood burner.

The final size including the frame and case is 14” W x 30-1/2” L x 10” H.

CASE CLOSED

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/15/2021 10:30:10 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  11:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, That was a remarkable addition to the sea! And a nice looking display case.
You sure work fast!! :)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  11:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, very nice display case!
Really finishes off the model quite well.
Have you thought about adding an engraved plaque to the wood describing the sub, and of course the modeler who created this substantial scene?

Greg

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2021 :  12:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank,
This is a museum quality masterpiece! Please add the plaque as Greg suggested!

David Guffey

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: O Scale Fishing Boat / Trawler (Round Stern)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000