Railroad Line Forums - 1:144 Scale Gato Class Submarine Diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 135 ]  [ Total: 141 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 1:144 Scale Gato Class Submarine Diorama
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: O Scale Fishing Boat / Trawler (Round Stern)
Page: of 6

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  4:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AWESOME " Frank'...Plain downright awesome..

Ted

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  4:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barb conducting the only US land operation on the Japanese "mainland" in WWII is one good reason to get and read the book, Frank! It's an interesting read all the way through, even given the cheerleading....

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 01/11/2021 9:24:17 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  7:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
remaining strands were .005Ē. I sanded them

Wow! How?

And how did you paint your brass work?

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  7:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buckets of interesting info, Frank and great Step-by-Step posts.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  7:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, your weathering makes her look like she's ready for the ruff seas she's about to enter.
Nice work!

Greg Shinnie

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  9:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking work Frank. The railings look excellent.
Just curious, did you have to drill out all the flood holes, or were they already done ?

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  06:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks amazing already Frank!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  09:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Mike, thanks AAA.

Ted, wow thanks a bunch.

Pete, Iíve read several accounts of the Barb patrols. Luckey Fluckey was,an amazing Captaiun.

Carl, I just pulled the strands through a piece of 320 sandpaper. I paint it and try to never touch it again or it will chip.

Bill, I try to keep the bilge water out of the comments.

Greg, aye aye matey cast off yer lines fore and aft.

Rob, the flood holes were nicely done by Trumpeter. That was a really nice feature. As the war went on they kept adding more holes so it could dive faster.

Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  09:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wave Base for the USS Gato - SS212

Before I get to working on the actual base I decided to build a couple of test pieces to experiment with base building since this is my first time. My hot knife and some sample pieces of surface waves. The hot knife melts the foam and turns it crusty black.

I broke the pieces into irregular shapes and glued them together with hot glue. Then I covered them with aluminum foil. Two coats of Gesso gives them a nice base coat. Gesso is a flat white base paint mostly used by painters as a base coat prep for canvas.

The Gesso, Tamiya X-20A thinner, XF-17 Sea Blue, X-25 Clear Green and X-23 Clear Blue. My choice of colors was influenced by videos on YouTube.

The white water waves are made from Woodland Scenicís Snow and Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel mixed 50/50 on a paper plate. I use one pallet knife to scoop the gel out so I donít contaminate the container. And another pallet knife to mix the gel and snow. I apply it to the base with a fan brush in a wave pattern. I do sections about half the size of the paper plate and then go back with the round brush wetted and blotted to shape the waves. If you do too big an area the thinner portions will dry before you can model them. After applying the white caps they sometimes have a spiked top and need to be trimmed, smoothed and shaped. Thatís where I use a wetted round brush. The paper plate is good for a couple of mixes on one side then turn it inside out and use the back side.

Below are pictures of my sample pieces. The right one is a test for Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue and X-23 Clear Blue with a white cap. The center one is a revised lighter version of Sea Blue and Clear Blue.

When I painted the base I started with the clear colors painted on the wave peaks. They are really transparent so you need to leave the white base for them to work. When I had the peaks finished I came back with the Sea Blue giving the lower portion of the wave a solid coat and the peaks with the clear colors just an overspray. Prior to the overspray of Sea Blue it looked totally hideous.

The fine white areas were painted with a small piece of filter material dipped in white paint. That gives me a feathered look.

Alright enough practice.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/12/2021 09:50:50 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  10:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating. And excellent information.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  10:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, that's a really interesting process, certainly gives a new meaning to sea foam.

Greg Shinnie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  8:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating and educational'. You never cease to amaze me, Frank'...

Ted

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  12:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice ocean Frank. Why did you ever doubt yourself. As always, a good tutorial is appreciated.
And not having to drill all those flood holes is a bonus. Looks like this is the kit I'll have to get.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  05:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank this is Fantastic!
Your water tests looks very real.

You know...... Overshoes.

Love seeing the process.

A few years ago I saw a tutorial where a guy used Oatmeal to form his waves on a battleship diorama.

Once he had teased it to shape around the hull he dripped superglue on the oatmeal to hold it in the form he liked which gave him his base wave forms.

For the waves from the bow crashing into the water he used......I swear its true...a tampon that he cut up to form the curved splash along the sides.

It was very interesting to see him do it. I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle it.

Edited by - Dave D on 01/13/2021 05:38:44 AM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2021 :  08:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting technique Frank, BTW the Tamiya thinner is just 91% alcohol. Put this on your 'bucket list'! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum_of_the_Pacific_War The submarine 'surfacing' up through the grass outside of the museum is beautiful.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 01/13/2021 08:21:56 AM

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: O Scale Fishing Boat / Trawler (Round Stern)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000