Railroad Line Forums - Thursday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 200 ]  [ Total: 205 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Thursday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Friday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: The Modelers Forum Help  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all from 32f shooting up to 36f later under cloudy skies. The coffee urn is READY with Getoffyerduff blend. The special is a egg, sausage, and Swiss cheese, on an English muffin. Other bev...meal at the end of the line.

Hooray for the USPS! They currently have 3 packages of mine in the abyss. The best one was shipped on Dec. 12th from Jackson, MI. to N.E. Indiana via 'Priority' mail. It went from Jackson. MI to Allen Park, MI to Pennsylvania to Jacksonville, FL to Palm Beach, FL to Allen Park, MI to ???. 'DELIVERY MIGHT BE DELAYED BECAUSE WE ARE INCOMPETENT. Same mess with the other packages, lost in space.

So now I'm waiting on 3 packages to continue working on projects. Remember that red pill vs blue pill dialog? About blissful and ignorant?

Have a Super day! Privatize the Postal Service!

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  09:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim. Mid thirties and gray skies in WV.

Another chilly but nice day to get out on the rail trail. Some modeling later and an early evening Zoom meeting of our club’s board and members.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  09:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sun cold again. Going to get my truck finally from the bump and run shop. Headed to grand daughter’s 18th birthday today. Small group, just family, less than ten will approve, or not.

Going N this weekend see the new digs, trim out some sight lines.

Good day all. Be well.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  10:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning folks

It is 34 with a high of 42.

Spent much of yesterday watching the news. When I had enough, I wandered down to the basement. I moved 5 Proto 1000 coal hoppers to the workbench to be weathered. I had sealed them the other night. I sealed two RF&P Atlas Trainman covered grain hoppers and a Athearn RTR Reading Heavy Duty Flat Car. They will be next to be weathered. After them I have four Intermountain covered grain hoppers, two Red Caboose tank cars, two Bowser PRR stock cars, and four Bachmann Poultry shipping cars to weather. This will finish all the RTR cars in the original Wall of Trains on the workbench. There are a few newly added cars that I purchased recently and will weather at a later time.

I also worked on a newly acquired loco. It is an older Atlas GP-38 done in Penn Central. I picked it up cheaply with the intention of removing the PC lettering and redoing it as a PRSL loco once I get some PRSL logos. The PRSL GP-38’s only had a logo and a number on each side and were black. They also had a logo on the front. The “new” loco did not want to run at first but after some prodding it ran. I did a wheel cleaning and afterward it ran well. I think I will still need to give it a good cleaning and lube.

I ran some trains. I ran a twenty-car coal drag pulled by my newer Proto 2000 LNE FA1 ad FB1. If all goes well, I will make a video and take some stills.

My packages are getting closer. There is one out for delivery that was shipped December 20th. I have four in Philadelphia, one in Champaign, IL and another in Bismarck, ND.

I have a few chores to do around the house today such as some laundry. Not sure if I have to make a run anywhere today.

Some shop lights I ordered off of Amazon for the layout are supposed to arrive today.

I hope everybody has a good day.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  10:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from again frosty foggy So. Central Wisconsin. High temperatures again will only be 30, as Karl says “deja vue.” As the world turned and watched DC yesterday I was painting. Terry came down and said turn on your tv. After dinner I again turned on the TV, more TV time yesterday then normally combined in a month for me. About 11 last night I realized I forgot to clean the airbrush. It took quite a time to get the dried paint cleaned out. Stupid by me but I think it’s clean and I will know in a few hours. Hit the pillow around 1.

Anxiously waiting for my Covid test results, again I know I studied hard and I am usually very good with tests, but based on the last 2 maybe not anymore!

Thanks Jim for opening this morning. The breakfast fits right in this morning.

Was texting with the youngest child yesterday. He rarely, like me, carries any cash. I suggested he hit the ATM and fill up just in case. He texted on his way home from work that at 3 ATM’s the lines were maybe 30 people long. His neighborhood gas station was where he ended up, no line at that ATM. I ended up snoozing the niece yesterday for 30 days on Facebook. Finally though around 8 I clicked off the IPad and just stayed fascinated on the TV.

Train room after exercise today.

Be safe, be well, be distance
Wear the mask
TomO

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  10:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and the rest of the crew. The sun is finally breaking thru the clouds here in S.E, Michigan. It is good to see the yellow orb, even if it just for part of the day. Temps will hover just above the freezing mark.

We made a batch of vegetable soup yesterday at the recommendation of Jim. Yummy! We now have Ham & Pea Soup, Turkey Soup, and Vegetable Soup in the new freezer. Next up might be some Ham & Potato Soup.

Some NMRA work first, and then some time at the modeling bench.

Have a great day!

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim and crew another 40° day in Tidewater Virginia. We just returned from the Portsmouth Naval Hospital where we received the our first Covid virus shot. They are giving them to military retirees over 75.

I'm having problems getting the color I want on my challenge building walls. I have more experimentation to do today. I hope to see progress soon.

Have a good day.
George

Fly Army

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  10:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Morning Jim and crew. Cold gray day here in Rottenchester, NY. Fed the blue jays there morning peanuts. The pet squirrel that stops by doesn't seem to like peanuts. Trying to tame him/her.

I've had it with my internet provider, Frontier Comm. My Atari 800 with a 2400baud modem connected faster to Compuserve through a dial up than this Frontier internet connection. Looking into the only competitor out here, Spectrum, about going with them. They said I could get a 200Mbit line with voice over for a lot less than I'm paying Frontier. I've got till Tuesday to decide. I checked my speed with Frontier, 28Kbits per second, what joke. Came up with the conclusion it's the hub that it's going through which is located right down the road from me. My brother has the same provider and he has a speed of over 100Mbits.

Here I thought they were throttling down the speed because of yesterdays fiasco in DC. I heard they shut down Twitter and Facebook so nobody could live stream the truth. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Ok, time for some modeling since I don't like cruising the internet at 25mph when I was used to going 100mph. Yes that's miles per hour as a comparison.

Stay safe everybody. Hope to see you with a faster internet connection sometime down the road.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  10:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, all. The NH seacoast has sun with a bit of haze and temperatures approaching 40F this morning. For some reason my back bothered me the past couple of nights; I haven't done anything strenuous so I guess it's too much time looking at screens. Though I did learn a bunch of useful stuff about GIMP yesterday.

I just finished getting things ready for the electrician to install a couple of 240V/50A outlets in my 210-year-old barn. They'll run either my welder or my EV charger. I guess in the interests of keeping myself out of his way, I should do some model railroading. One project awaits materials, but I went back and read my notes here on RR-Line and reminded myself I have materials for another. Airbrushing weather makes that a clear choice.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  10:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 is all I get on the best day here in rural lower MI from DSL provider CenturyLink. 100 on the cell phone from the Dollar General parking lot 6 miles away. The area electrical cooperative has fiber cable that stops within sight of my home. I'm on their list but my power is not from them, so may not ever get it. There is a provider in the area that uses some sort of microwave bounced off a tower on the grain elevator in town. I get all the internet I need up North from my cell phone, once I dumped Sprint and went with ATT. There is zero Sprint service W of the bridge. Hadd the previous iteration of Hughes Net satellite for a 4-5 yr period before our local tel-co offered "highspeed" DSL. Satellite outfit was a lying bunch of weasels, 45 minimum wait time and contact people that read from a script from square one every time you were blessed to get thru. Had one repeating recording of a Kenny G sax solo as the hold music, for years, never changed....

Picked up my truck and it looks great, Mike at the shop says he figures I saved my insurance company $4k by having the brush guard on the front of the truck, kept the deer from taking out the whole front crush zone, radiator and core supports and possibly even fan.

-30-

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 01/07/2021 11:05:27 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, is the deer out of the repair shop yet?

Bruce

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  1:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

I've had it with my internet provider, Frontier Comm. My Atari 800 with a 2400baud modem connected faster to Compuserve through a dial up than this Frontier internet connection. Looking into the only competitor out here, Spectrum, about going with them. They said I could get a 200Mbit line with voice over for a lot less than I'm paying Frontier. I've got till Tuesday to decide. I checked my speed with Frontier, 28Kbits per second, what joke. Came up with the conclusion it's the hub that it's going through which is located right down the road from me. My brother has the same provider and he has a speed of over 100Mbits.

Bernd

After the August lightning hit, the Frontier demarcation box blew off the driveway. When I called them, they insisted on a 'cell phone' number before they would send anyone out. Then they gave me an expected date of 3 weeks before the 'service man would be here to 'solve' my problem. When the service guy showed up, I handed him the charred box. He said looks like some forgot to reattach the ground wire from the last time they were out. Oh, now I have Consumer Cellular, 50 MB unlimited hotspot, 2 cell phone numbers vs 1.5 (on a good day) DSL from my former Communications company at less than half of the monthly charge. Frontier was right! They won't service a landline without a cell phone number to call. Nice going out of business strategy.

Jim

Take the red pill

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  3:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In an industry dominated by "F-U" customer service, Frontier sets a new low!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  3:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, had a good talk with customer service from Spectrum via computer chat (typing). I get 200Mbit service and phone for much less the the last Frontier Comm. She tried to get me to commit today but told her no. She's going to get back to me on Tuesday afternoon. I'm committing. I just spent almost two hours watching a 45 minute video.

I'm wondering if they have throttle back my connection because I called my brother who is also on Frontier and he's at 110Mbits. Our service comes from different hubs. I was considering that the one I'm connected to is causing the problem. Then I'm also wondering if my political views and postings on FB has flagged Frontier to throttle down my connection. Happened yesterday after watching POTUS at 11:00AM.

Ok, back to modeling.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  4:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah, I don't think they have anyone there that is either sharp enough or gives a rats @ss about anything.

Jim

Take the red pill

Previous Topic: Friday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: The Modelers Forum Help  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000