Railroad Line Forums - Wednesday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 223 ]  [ Total: 228 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Wednesday morning lounge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Modelers Forum Help Topic Next Topic: Tuesday morning lounge
Page: of 2

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  09:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all from 34f and cloudy N.E.Indiana. The coffee urn is READY with Railbender blend today. The special is #1. Other bev...oatmeal pot at the end of the line.

I got out to the LHS yesterday and picked up some steel wire to proceed on my Challenge project. Other than that, took a break from doing any work on it. Maybe start in on it after a trip to CostCo.

Have a Super day!

Jim
Take the red pill

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  09:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's another gray morning here in No. VA. where it looks like it could snow any second, but it's too warm............so miserable rain if anything. But then no one's going anywhere so it doesn't matter.

Office day, with usual breaks in the shop....

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  09:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clouds and cool, 30-36 the range for today. No major weather events, either.

Spent a fair bit of time cutting stripwood and making 2 ladders for the bridge project. Watched a rejuvenated Spartan hoops team handle the Rutgers team last evening. Trying to keep the Doll's mind off the political stuff.

We heard from the appliance dealer up N that the kitchen stuff is in so we're planning a trip to da Yoop this weekend. They've at least had some sun at times this week, and may next per the forecast.

Big bowl of overnight cooked oats is up next here. No other plans in the works today.

Everyone be well, stay safe.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  09:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from frosty and densely foggy So. Central Wisconsin. This is getting very tiresome, the sun appeared yesterday till noon and that was it.

Glad to hear the appliances are in for you Karl. The politics with Terry started at dinner, I image Doll and her would get along greatly. Told Terry the only things about Kenosha I wanted to hear about is I have permission to tour the Ardent Flour mill there.

I am not sure what today may bring. The tree is down and put away. Other then some Xmas dishes already in the bins to be stored away Christmas is done.

Terry asked if I wanted to switch offices yesterday. She has a nicer view then mine but mine is larger and quieter. She is really having issues with her hearing and actually lately has been taking the hearing aides out. Of course Iíll change, I will text the SIL today for help. Itís closer to the train room.

TomO

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  09:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning from the 'cloudy bright' NH seacoast. It's a bit above freezing and my asphalt driveway has melted the 3/4" of snow we got overnight. The morning's endeavor is figuring out how to make a page of parallel lines in GIMP, next up is getting laser-printable transparency film at a reasonable price.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  10:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Good morning from the 'cloudy bright' NH seacoast. It's a bit above freezing and my asphalt driveway has melted the 3/4" of snow we got overnight. The morning's endeavor is figuring out how to make a page of parallel lines in GIMP, next up is getting laser-printable transparency film at a reasonable price.

https://www.staples.com/C-Line-Transparency-Film-for-Plain-Paper-Copiers-50-Box-CLI60727/product_2658727?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2658727&KPID=2658727&cid=PS:GS:SBD:PLA:Paper&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3NX_BRDQARIsALA3fIJIy3WVL8l_cK0Nx-3ILbldHjT1lG1jFAS_Y7OK7GkNG8wrUCB3lncaAl8kEALw_wcB

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 01/06/2021 10:27:13 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  10:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and the rest of the crew. It is just at the freezing point here in S.E. Michigan under blah skies.

We went to the grocery store yesterday and came home one item short. We even had a list with us. Anyway, I'll get that last item today and can them make up a batch of Jim's Vegetable Soup.

I spent a few hours working on NMRA stuff yesterday. The website revisions are almost done.

I might finally be able to get back to the Challenge project today.

Have a great day!

Bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  10:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good morning, crew. Mid thirties and cloudy once again in northern WV.

Weíll go walking shortly, then a session on the computer. I made significant progress yesterday on my Challenge kit yesterday and hope for more of the same today.

I usually try to tune out political discussion although Iím very interested in social issues. Itís the constant talk that gets to me.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  10:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, I tried printing mullions on laser transparency paper, I wasn't particularly satisfied with the result. The lines were not dark enough. It could also be a problem with my transparency film, though.

More work today on my old boxcar kit. I need to do the (minimal) undercarriage, then I can glue the subframe back together.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  11:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim and crew. Another day in the 40's in Tidewater Virginia. I've been out running errands. Picking up essential items - beer and cardstock.

I'm having trouble with the siding on my challenge project, it looks like I'm back to square one. I seem to be spending a lot of time there.

Have a good day.
George

Fly Army

potsy
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  12:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good late morning or very early afternoon Jim and crew just came up From train room doing soldering on switches. don't know what happened Tom but my lap top is back to normal the forum comes up immediately. going to the basement and ride my bike on a trainer for an hour Evelyn is also riding. Making good progress on my layout!!

Stay safe

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  1:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon. A positive on this day, I cannot hear Terryís TV from the train room. No politics in my train room, I love it.

TomO

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  4:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, thanks for the pointer but the link is for B&W plain paper copiers. What my nearest Staples has for color lasers printers is 50 sheets for $75. Hi ho, Internet away!

One thing I did get today is my Northeastern Scale Lumber order, with the windows I need for 32 Winter St.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  5:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:D} Not being a mind reader, I didn't forsee the Color Laser requirement.

Jim

Take the red pill

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  5:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Jim. I'm making Venetian Blinds, so what I'd like best is a vendor who can print in white from my .xcf file (or some other format GIMP can export to). If I can get material my LaserJet Pro Color works on, I'll try a light yellowish gray (smokers work there) but off-white could be opaque.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  6:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

OK makes sense. How about some Laser printable white decal sheet material. I bought some from Bare Metal Products in Michigan several years ago, and it works really well. I printed the background color Tuscan, and left the lettering white. Worth a shot!

https://www.trainz.com/products/bare-metal-foil-125-white-laser-decal-film-8-5-x-11-pack-of-3?variant=20238238417018&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3NX_BRDQARIsALA3fIJQy27t4LxasqTEUQm1_DvJKwko5XTlSc2APySn_GLyDSEwMEKHccIaApmeEALw_wcB

3 8.5 X 11 sheets.

I printed on plain white paper to locate my target space on the page, and then cut a piece of the decal paper to cover that area. Taped it down with blue painter's tape, reprinted that page and they came out great,

Jim

Take the red pill

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The Modelers Forum Help Topic Next Topic: Tuesday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 30.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000