Railroad Line Forums - Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 185 ]  [ Total: 190 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SRMWs kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build Topic Next Topic: Campbell Sand House: Challenge Project #3
Page: of 13

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  08:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Onto the next post....

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  09:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone.

My next project is for a modeler friend who recently moved, which required him to take down his old layout. I offered to help him rebuild with a scratch built HO scale structure of his choice..

During our discussion of possible subjects, he mentioned "Steam Era Structures," a now defunct kit company from Cincinnati Ohio. He had purchased "some paper plans only" of a few kits from the owner, who had agreed to sell them, after the company closed.

There were no building materials included, and just a few leftover cast details were thrown in. A structure called Opanskys Organ Works caught his eye, and we agreed I would tackle the task.

A few pictures still exist on-line of the built up versions...

Some of the 5 full scale sheets ..all wall & roof card templates were missing...

Measuring directly off the plans, I cut some mock up pieces, which will become the templates for cutting the actual wall sheet goods.

We thought the model a bit smaller than anticipated, so I made both units about 15% longer, but didn't change the width, or the height. Here's the 2nd mockup...

I started with the foundation, which is about 1/16" smaller than the wall perimeter. It's 4 scale feet high. I began with some 10" x 2" X 1/4" thick plaster of Paris blank sheets I'd poured months ago, and cut them into 1/2" high widths with a razor saw.

Before going any further, I glued thin card to the backs of each to resist cracking and failure. I need a total of 10 lengths. 4 for each structure and 2 for the connector area.

I began scribing blocks rows into the plaster with a dental pick, each about 3/32" high. Random stone sizes with no vertical joints lining up. Need basement windows openings too....

This is going to take a LONG time...one piece already broke on me....GRRR

Till next time....doors, windows & walls....

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  09:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
This task will be no problem for the experienced modeler that you are. Looks like you have a handle on this already and it looks good to me. I have done the same thing before in using the card to fortify the hydrocal walls. I will be following along with the build.

Rich

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  10:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, nice to see another modeler helping out a friend in need!
I'll volunteer to keep the bellows pumped for you, while you work your magic again.

Greg Shinnie

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  10:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks like a good set of drawings, and the overall look of the structure has a more real-world look than some offerings. I'll be following along, good luck with the stonework.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great project, I will be following.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  10:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damm, fourth in line to get a front row seat.

I'm watching and taking notes.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  11:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a fascinating building design. I'm sure you'll please your friend with the build.

Nothing like starting with a hard task - carving plaster.

George

Fly Army

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  11:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good way to start off the New Year Carl.

Looks like you have a good start here.

Dental pick I didn't realize you were a dentist before becoming a modeler!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  12:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl -

Looks like a nice challenge for you. Always liked the SES kit designs, but have not see many built.
Your friend is a lucky person.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  2:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Youíre starting with a splendid design. And you can tweak the design to make it even better.

Plaster (or hydrocal) is an excellent medium for stone. My favorite when thereís going to be a lot of foundation visible. Your stonework is going to look very realistic Iím sure.

Mike

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  3:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A very neat structure, Carl.

I'll be following your progress.

Cheers, Mark.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  7:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, Greg, James, Bob, Bernd, George, Jerry, Jim, Mike and Mark, thank you for following along.

Interpreting the Steam Era Structure idea from just paper plans is a bit of a challenge, but what the heck?! It's on the small side, so it shouldn't drag out too long.

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  06:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm pulling up a chair....
this is always the best show in town.

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  09:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Deal me in! I'm sure your ability to 'upgrade' the original design will enter into this build.

Jim

Take the red pill

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  09:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Organ Works now that's music to my ears. Ready set go.

Frank

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: SRMWs kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build Topic Next Topic: Campbell Sand House: Challenge Project #3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000