Railroad Line Forums - Perfect Storm - Indiana style
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 168 ]  [ Total: 171 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Perfect Storm - Indiana style
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sunday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Saturday morning lounge  

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perfect Storm - January 2021 - La Porte, Indiana.

I've never seen anything like this in my lifetime, including 3 years living in Minot, North Dakota where temperatures go down to 40 below and lower. We had a heavy snow in the morning, then in the early afternoon, temperatures went above freezing and it started to rain very hard, and then the temperature dropped down very fast to below freezing and the rain turned to ice and and all the pretty snow covered trees, turned to ice covered trees, and the weight was too much for them to handle. Oh yeah, in the midst of all this we lost power for 30 hours or so. Here are a few photos of what happened in less the 4 hours time. The first was our proud birch tree that turned into a weeping willow, and the second is one of our bird feeders in the back yard. Sad, we really liked that birch.

Here you can see what happened to our bird feeders in less than 4 hours

John

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  12:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
White Birch is common in colder climates partly because it can recover from severe bending from snow loads. Your photo doesn't show anything I can see as broken; if it were mine I'd hustle out there with a stick and break as much ice as I could off the twigs and small branches. If you knock little stuff off, that will re-grow.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  2:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would what James said.

But it sure is a pretty looking scene!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The picture was taken yesterday. Today has started to warm up to the mid 30's and lo and behold, the tree is returning to it's natural state...about 50% now. Never had a birch tree before; in fact only seen them in paintings. Learned something new everyday. Ain't Nature grand

John

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an article on birch trees in ice: https://pikes-hikes.com/birch-trees-bending/

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  3:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Living up here in NY east of Lake Erie and south of Lake Ontario we occasionally get ice storms. In the past 60 years we've gone through several. On one we lost power for over a week. Way up in northern NY the ice took down the high power towers for over a month. So your 30 hours without power is a walk in the park for us up here in NY.

It is pretty at times, especially when the sun shines. Here are some images from the 1991 ice storm in Rochester, NY.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  4:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad your birch is recovering. Depending on how far the trunks bent, they may not complete their recovery till mid- or late Summer.

Bernd, the ice storm that had them driving old MLW locos down Canadian streets contributed to my decision to install my PV/battery home power system. We were south of the ice line, but only a few days later we went to an event in Augusta, ME, which was well into the ice. And my friend in St. Lawrence county got a story he'll tell all his life: There was a 12" ash outside his glass greenhouse. In the middle of the storm he heard it split and fall. He expected his greenhouse was wrecked, but when he got out there, it was intact, every exposed surface protected by 6" of ice. The ash trunk just bounced off it.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  10:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birch trees are beautiful and definitely resilient. Seems ice storms in North Central Wisconsin never bothered them, lightning though was different.

We had a huge ice storm in the early 80ís. The power was out for 4 days per my folks, we were on vacation. Lost everything in the freezer. Since then, we have never
Been without a backup generator for the whole house.

Glad your trees are alright.
TomO

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  09:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were lucky here a hunnert miles or so N of John and the ice portion of the storm was short and reverted to thick heavy snow. Much easier on the electric grid and the birch trees. Pretty but devastating with all the ice.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  8:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five inches of the wet heavy stuff overnight'. No school again for the youngsters'....

Jay & Jay, we've had several of those snow, rain,ice and snow again over the years here in S.W. CT, in the Berkshires and out skirts of the Hudson Valley, in NY. I've lost all types of trees over the 30 years I'm here....

Ted

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 01/04/2021 8:26:34 PM

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  7:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. That stuff's sure nice to look at but I wouldn't want to live there.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2021 :  1:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin

Wow. That stuff's sure nice to look at but I wouldn't want to live there.

We get all 4 seasons here. I like the winters here; a little cold, but that's what long sleeve shirts are for. Joan likes the fall when the tree leaves turn colors. Very pretty here; all things considered

I lived 50 years in SoCal and you couldn't pay me enough money to live there again

John

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2021 :  4:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, you mean flannel shirts'... don't you'...

Ted

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2021 :  5:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

John, you mean flannel shirts'... don't you'...

Ted:

Actually I meant "long sleeved Carhart lined flannel" shirts

John

Edited by - jaynjay on 01/08/2021 5:45:51 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2021 :  2:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are darn good shirts'...

Ted

Previous Topic: Sunday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Saturday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000