Railroad Line Forums - My Very First Layout, A Mini!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 229 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 My Very First Layout, A Mini!
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Micro Layout presentation online 1/9/21 at 7pm Est Topic Next Topic: Very small ON30 Pizza layout for the holidays.
Page: of 2

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  11:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I am new to Z scale, and new to building layouts.
What I hope to accomplish with this layout is get my feet wet, create switching opportunities, have a test track to test locos I will build, and be able to play with trains!
The small size will allow me to store it easily and hopefully complete it within a decade.
My layout will be based on the Branford Steam Railroad and will take place in the 1915-1925 era. The BSRR was owned by the New Haven Trap Rock Co.
Most of the power and rolling stock I will have to make.
I will be calling my railroad and the quarry it serves, A. Small Rock Co.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  11:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Z-Scale this should be very interesting.

I'm sure you will get followers just to see how this done.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  12:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll be watching your progress and wishing I had the eyes and nimble fingers to even attempt Z-Scale modeling.

David Guffey

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  08:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be following along as well. I used to live in Branford years ago.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see a Z scale layout! Are those squares 12"x12" making the layout 2'by2'?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yowz-z-z-za! This promises to be a fascinating project.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Z scale! This will be interesting to follow.

George

Fly Army

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  11:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, David, slimrails, Mike, and George,

Thanks for the comments and for following. I appreciate any input since I am a layout neophyte.

Tyson, yes 12x12", so it will be 24x24 inches in size.

Here is a sketch I did to help me visualize the layout.

I did a lot of research on the prototype and received some great pictures from the Branford Historical society and library. I'll post those through out the build.
Scott

Edited by - CNE1899 on 01/03/2021 11:46:32 AM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  11:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like where you are going. I will be following.

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  11:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice plan and interesting project. Will be interesting to follow.

You might want to check the elevations and grades. I think it will be hard to create the necessary vertical distance next to the Bridge label.

Maybe an alternative would be to extend the Lumber Yard track to the right edge and use that as the interchange. In return the current one could be shortened and used for the lumber yard.

Regards
Martin

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  12:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As Martin says, the clearance for the bridge may be hard to come by. I don't model in Z but my calculator says railhead to the underside of the bridge must be almost an inch.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Martin and James said you probably won't have enough clearance for the bridge and still have a grade you could be happy with.

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  09:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin and jbvb,

Thanks for the heads up. When I sketched up the layout, I wondered if the grade was going to be an issue.
It is at 17%! So I tried Martin's suggestion, or at least how I interpreted it, and it was still at 13%.
I am looking at some alternative configurations for the lumber yard and interchange.
I'll post those when I have an idea I like.
Scott

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  11:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're using an open framework, you could bring the main line down while the interchange spur rises, but then you need three more vertical curves.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  08:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could just get rid of the bridge siding and switch altogether and put a switch in where the truck is heading to the coal barge and have the track going off to the lower right for the interchange.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  08:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The south end of the Branford Steam Railroad passes under the ex-New Haven, now Amtrak Northeast Corridor main line. This might be the most widely known feature of the line, so I can see the attraction of modeling an overpass.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Micro Layout presentation online 1/9/21 at 7pm Est Topic Next Topic: Very small ON30 Pizza layout for the holidays.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000