Railroad Line Forums - Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 178 ]  [ Total: 180 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWests  Main Street..... Upscaled Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Page: of 3

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  5:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joining the Choices and challenge and taking a break from layout building, I've decided to build the new station for my small town of Blackwater. I got this small Portable station kit from Darryl at Interaction hobbies.

It's a very nice little kit. At the same time I also got the optional detailing kit:

The detail kit comes with the interior parts like the furniture, wainscoting, benches, and a basic lighting kit.

I'll start the build in the next post.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  5:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The kit is separated into bags for the laser cut parts and the stripwood that will later be used for both some interior detailing and the station platform.

The detailing kit is packages pretty much the same way.

I started painting the interior walls and parts this afternoon.

The instructions come with paint color suggestions, mostly from Valejo. but I've been painting my RR structures with for different acrylics for a more 'family' look so I've stuck with those. The interior walls are painted with Americana Yellow Ochre and the wainscoting, doors, and interior trim is done in Ceramcoat Barn Red. The exterior will also be done in this color. I perfer to brush paint the interior so it gets a subtle shading and weathering.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  03:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks a really nice kit Glen. I'm not really familiar with that company, but they seem to have a good selection of kits, in various scales.
Yours should be a fun build, and nice that the interior is also included.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Edited by - robert goslin on 01/03/2021 03:27:27 AM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  01:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a really nice kit Rob. I enjoy adding interiors to my structures as well.

I made some good progress on the model today, starting with one of the interior walls. but first I had to build one of the little gems in the kit, the regulator clock:

The clock is made of three parts. I painted the clock face and the pendulum, then I used a micron pen to paint the dial features.

Then I glued them together and used a brown sharpie to touch up the sides.

The wall went together by layering a number of wall components together so you get the wainscoting and chair rub bar, as well as the door frame attached to the wall. This is the interior wall that separates the waiting room from the stationmaster's quarters.

Before I can go any further, I decided to paint the exterior walls. I started with staining the basswood walls with some A&I as a base.

Then I painted the Barn Red over top. I didn't paint completely over, but used a semi dry-brush technique to show the weathered wood underneath. I did paint the front a bit more through though, since that would be the most noticeable to railway customers.
I also painted the window frames and exterior door frames since I'll be assembling them next.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  02:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks excellent Glen. Great job on the clock. So much detail for such a small item. The rest should look nice.
Nice colour too.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  8:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a cool kit Glen I have the camper trailer from Inter Action'.. He makes nice kits'.. I like the sleeping quarters and office in the station...
The LIRR back when when I was a kid, the station master has an actual 4,5 room apt built on the right hand side of the station. It was like a real house built with the best appointments of the day. Beautiful and solid tight construction. Steam Heat
I used to play hookie at the station until the Master, and my mother got wise... The station was just down the road my house...

Ted

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  8:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I've built at least six of the HO versions of that trailer, two for myself and the others for friends.
I completed the front wall this evening.

It took an evening or two to build the front wall. There is quite a bit of layering to achieve the right look, especially in the interior:

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  10:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're moving right along, Glen. Nice work on the clock.

George

Fly Army

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  11:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Glen. I like the colors.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  12:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'm quite happy with how the colors turned out so far.
I finished off all the walls this weekend.

Since there is an interior, the building process takes a bit more time, but the end result will be worth it.

I still have to add the chair rail above the wainscoting but other than that the walls are almost ready to be assembled.

I also built the interior ticket wicket wall:

It's made of a number of parts, again layered on top of each other to make the 3 dimensional result. I decided to paint this wall with burnt sienna for a bit of contrast in the interior.

The window is a laser cut piece complete with speaking holes and a ticket slot in the bottom.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  2:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Looking good Glen. I just finished their gas station. I really enjoyed the build. They make great stuff...

Bob

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  1:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen,
That is a nice kit! Good work so far. That clock is more my scale. Your moving along like, like clockwork.

Scott

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  2:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.
Bob, I have built the gas station as well, but for another modeler. It was a fun and challenging build.

I got quite a bit done over the past week, starting with putting some walls up:

The back and side walls are glued in place, the ticket wall was temporarily set in so I could square up the rear wall. I had to trim the chair rail around the ticket wall, something that has to be done with the front wall as well. The floor is a piece of laser-cut basswood that I stained with Flo-stain pine.

There were a number of things to do before installing the front wall. The first was to add the chair rail that had to be trimmed to fit around the window frames.

Then the desk had to be built and installed, starting with the two pedestals

Again that's a dime for scale.

And the finished desk. There are 17 parts to the desk, and it still needs the chair. The desk is the same width as the station interior so it has to be added before the front wall goes in, otherwise it wonts clear the chair rails around the walls.

Then I turned my attention to the doors and the door knobs. The door knobs are 3-d printed parts and extremely fragile. I painted them brass while still on the carry sheet and then removed them.

I glued the doors on and then the door knobs. I really like how the screen door looks.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2021 :  10:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

That is an impressive kit. You’re doing an excellent job.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2021 :  08:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're doing nice work on your station, Glen.

George

Fly Army

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2021 :  09:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: SierraWests  Main Street..... Upscaled Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000