Railroad Line Forums - Choices Challenge Icing Station
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 200 ]  [ Total: 202 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Choices Challenge Icing Station
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge Z Scale Tank Car Topic Next Topic: YA3DP
Page: of 3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  2:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm needing a change from the layout construction work and the challenge has provided me with a nice change of pace. I'm going to scratch build a small icing platform for my switching layout. It will serve the dual purposes of providing ice for the brewery's reefers and also be a view block that covers the hole in the backdrop where trains will be entering the layout from staging. I'm not sure how prototypical a single car icing station is. I know several small kits have been produced, so I'm going for it. A stop at the ice station will provide a required switching move before spotting a reefer at the brewery.

I'm basing the design on several magazine construction articles I've read and pictures I've found on the internet. I'll be using cardstock and wood for the building. I plan on using my Cricut paper cutter to do a lot of cutting

I made a preliminary set of drawings and printed the side views on cardstock. I've cut them out and pasted them together to get this mockup for a better view of the scene. The final design is about done. I now have to prepare my drawings so I can send them to my Cricut paper cutter to cut out the pieces.

George
Fly Army

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  4:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, this looks like a great project, and with excellent justification for some extra ops. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

Edited by - thayer on 01/04/2021 02:27:32 AM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  4:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This should be an interesting thread to watch, George.

I'll certainly be following along.

Cheers, Mark.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  5:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing this built. I really like icing platforms. And another place to spot cars. Excellent.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  5:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be watching.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  8:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for checking in.

Rob and Thayer, I'm trying to get as much action as possible in a small space without over crowding it.

George

Fly Army

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  10:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, cold beer justifies any size icing platform, doesn't it?

I'll be watching too.

Jim

Take the red pill

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  12:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
George, You have my interest! Icing Platforms are unique structures!

David Guffey

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  08:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, you've hit the source of my inspiration.

Dave, I'm learning about their uniqueness working on the design. Thanks for following.

George

Fly Army

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, Looks like a great project. I had thought about building an icing structure but just never
got around to it. I will of course be following your build with great interest.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for following, Bob. Most icing stations would be gigantic in the scale you work in. This one will be small.

George

Fly Army

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm following George.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  3:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An effective view block and cold beer, sounds like a good project :)
How big is the brewery? Maybe they only ship in small batches to insure freshness, so a one car icing station is perfect!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  3:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for following, Carl.

Freshness - That explains the small size of everything. Thanks for the rationalization, Bill.

George

Fly Army

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  10:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, looking forward to your build. I’ve always had an interest beginning with my dad’s stories about working at one during his high school days.

Be safe, be well, be distance
Wear the mask
TomO

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2021 :  5:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for following, Tom. I'm sure there was a lot of manual labor involved in that job.

I've finished tweaking the wall drawings and playing around with a couple construction ideas. I have one of six walls finished.

The first step was to cut the wall on the Cricut paper cutter. The wall is 100lb Bristol board. I mounted it on a piece of cardstock with double faced Scotch tape, so the siding could be glued on. The cardstock has guide lines for board spacing. At the bottom is a line for the foundation, which was painted before the boards were added.

The boards were cut from a piece of brown cardstock on the Cricut. I only cut the horizontal board lines. The ends were left connected. That held everything together so I could paint the cut cardstock with a light coat of white paint from a rattle can. The ends were cut off when the paint dried, giving me a pile of individual 12” boards. They were fastened to the wall using 3M 465 adhesive. They have an 8” reveal.

I decided to start with this wall since it was going to have a sign painted on it and will be the most difficult of the set. The sign was painted on the wall using a vinyl stencil cut on the Cricut. This is a five step process.

1/ cut the vinyl. The back of the vinyl is sticky and mounted on a piece of paper. Cricut's vinyl setting only cuts through the vinyl leaving everything attached to the backing paper. The letters are then “weeded” (Cricut term) from the vinyl. This is what it looks like about half way through the weeding. The letters that have been picked out are in a stack at the top of the picture.

This is shows the weeding completed.

2/ A piece of clear transfer tape is applied to the top of the vinyl. Notice that the inside pieces of the O, R and A are in place. The purpose of the transfer tape is to keep everything in place for the next step.

3/ The vinyl's backing paper is now removed, revealing the sticky backside of the vinyl. The transfer tape is holding all the pieces in their correct position.

4/ The vinyl is placed on the wall and burnished down. The transfer tape is then removed (carefully).

The lines you see in the lettering are the siding.

5/ I masked the wall and painted the sign. Before the final painting the vinyl was sprayed with Dullcote to seal the edges of the letters so the paint wouldn't seep under the stencil. When the Dullcote was dry I brush painted the stencil with a craft acrylic paint. Some white was added to the blue to give it a faded look.

The Cricut doesn't do a good job of cutting out the openings for the rafter tails. It cuts the vertical lines but the 2” horizontal line hardly exists. This isn't a big problem since the cut lines have been defined and only have to be finished off with a #11 blade. When the siding is glued to the wall, the openings have to be cut in the siding. I glue this top piece of siding on with Aleene's Tacky Glue to get a solid grip and then cut the openings, again.

George

Fly Army

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge Z Scale Tank Car Topic Next Topic: YA3DP  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000